Anime-Planet will be moving domain registrars soon (and, the recent downtime)

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Hi all,

Just wanted to give you a heads up on the downtime for the last day or so, why it happened, and what we're doing to help ensure it doesn't happen again.

First off, I found out about the issue about a day into the problem (this morning) - I was on vacation in another country with zero access to internet, and finally made it to a coffee shop with wi-fi today and saw the flood of questions/comments. Had I known, I would have posted updates on the site's Facebook and Twitter sites immediately.

As it turns out, the issue wasn't anything in our control, GoDaddy epic failed and rendered millions of their sites inaccessible, including Anime-Planet. I've been wanting to leave GoDaddy for awhile anyways given their stance on SOPA/PIPA (which was 'revoked', but still), and the whole hunting exotic animals for sport thing, but I also hate to inflict any downtime on you guys so I've been putting it off.

Well, given these shenanigans this is as good of a time as any, so I've already started the process of transferring all of the AP domains over to Dreamhost instead. Our hosting remains the same (with Serverbeach), zero files, data, etc were affected by this, it was solely a DNS/registrar issue outside of our control.

Transferring registrars is a lot less painful than transferring hosts, but it still can cause some temporary appearances of outages when DNS needs to propagate - I'll let you know when I anticipate that might start popping up, there's a step or two I need to complete to really get the transfer going.

Anyways, I very much appreciate your patience over the last 1.5 days while this stuff went down, as your fearless leader it's immensely frustrating to see the site down without anything I can do to fix it, since other companies are at fault. Hopefully with the registrar move, we won't see something like this happen again.

Thanks again for your support of AP!

I do very strongly recommend that everyone follow the site's Facebook page - I update it very frequently when we run into issues like this, more so than the Twitter account because it's easier to post status (140 chars is pretty limiting when trying to explain things or answer questions)

Thanks for the update, I didn't even know we were hosted by GoDaddy. Usually there's something written down by the copyright statements. I just figured you had your own dedicated servers.

This is all probably my fault, I've finished One Piece 2 minutes before the site went down and needed another anime to watch so naturally irony wasn't going to make things easy for me... XD

Anyway, hope you had a nice vacation...not counting the last two days.

re: hosting @ godaddy

Well, given these shenanigans this is as good of a time as any, so I've already started the process of transferring all of the AP domains over to Dreamhost instead. Our hosting remains the same (with Serverbeach), zero files, data, etc were affected by this, it was solely a DNS/registrar issue outside of our control.

ahh ok, just wanted to clear it up if not ^^ we do indeed have two fully dedicated servers for the site, but yeah, they are at SB

Well as long as everything is fine now. Although I sort of wish you didn't find a coffee house with Wi-Fi. Getting stressed during a vacation because of something someone else did and you can't do anything about it because of a third party was probably rather stressful...

Those darn servers get to sit on a beach while we sit at home =.=,

However I am happy the site is back up and thank you for the updates on the matter Sothis :)

Really appreciate your hard work Sothis!
Did you get my pm? (Was just a report of some1 popping crap on the main-site)
I'm really glad that we are back online. The sad thing is that I've got work in 30 mins oooh! o_O Just realized that there won't be enough time for breakfast now xD Anyway... now much work to be done today so I'll be back quite quickly! :smile:

By the way, GoDaddy does not necessarily agree with SOPA/PIPA it was Bob Parsons who did. He is no longer the owner of GoDaddy Inc. I also happen to know there are a few people within Anon who work for GoDaddy. This is in no way to say they are of the same opinion, also a corporation being made up f hundreds if not thousands cannot inherently have an opinion or stance as it is too diverse. Anyway, So-chan check my PM, I will make it all better if possible, and ironically have a bit of influence within this sphere. Let me know =)

just use "Domains registered at GoDaddy"... no processing involved or whatever. People typically over complicate all of the domain aspects of things. Which are also completely separate from hosting. A domain is essentially just a mask that covers up a complicated string of numbers known as an IP because humans are generally not smart enough to remember huge digests of numbers with out words. Any questions let me know, lol. Worked for 4 years as a manager at a domain registrar.

Yesterday I read about GoDaddy on Google news and I thought I might have something to do with A-P down time. Glad it's fine now :) Thank you.

It's fine Sothis. We know you deal with a lot and work your ass off (you certainly earn your vacations) and stuff happens. :)

I wondered wtf was going on for so long.
One way to get around DNS related downtime (such as while switch companies) would be to add a-p's IP to our HOSTS files, bypassing DNS entirely.

Looks like some users (including me) have weird things (order changes/missing titles/additional titles) on their feeds page after this downtime. Could somebody provide more information what happened to it?

Looks like some users (including me) have weird things (order changes/missing titles/additional titles) on their feeds page after this downtime. Could somebody provide more information what happened to it?

this is a DNS issue that occurred previously as well. right now it's happening because we're in the process of switching registrars.

keep reading.

Last edited:
Back