New feature: auto-tweet stuff you do on the site on Twitter!

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Twitter fans, we have a surprise for you. Today, we've released twitter integration on the site, including your ability to auto-tweet stuff you do on Anime-Planet!

While registering with twitter isn't quite ready yet, you can now properly connect your account to your profile. In the past, you simply typed a username into a field and your twitter feed would display in your profile. This was great and all, but you could have put in someone else's username, or a non-username (for example 'I don't have twitter').

Now, we've properly added oauth support and real twitter integration. In addition, thanks to Xesxen's work with getting oauth/app support set up, it'll make Facebook integration (or anything else with oauth, such as eventually a site API) possible.

To set up your twitter account, go to your Edit Profile page, and click the 'Sign In with Twitter' button. Input your credentials if it asks, and then you'll be redirected back to the edit profile page, where you can OPT-IN to the following categories of items:

twitterupdates.jpg

YOU MUST OPT-IN FOR AUTO-TWEETS TO WORK. If you simply sign in with twitter, your feed will show up in your profile, but that's it. You can change your opt-in options at any time.

PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU PREVIOUSLY HAD A TWITTER ACCOUNT SET UP, YOU MUST RE-CONNECT IT BY USING THE ABOVE STEPS. You'll likely have noticed you lost the badge as well (this is because we cleared out the old/unauthenticated twitter names). Just re-connect and you'll be good to go.

Also, we're unveiling a brand new short url - a-ni.me. URLs posted through auto-tweets will display as a-ni.me/[something] and redirects here to the site.

We hope you love this feature, and do let us know if you encounter any strangeness. We plan to add more auto-tweet options in the future, and will use these same options for auto posting to Facebook/other sources in the future.

This will be one of the last major feature releases before we switch gears fully to the redesign effort and launch, coming in a few months.

And remember to follow the site on Twitter, @AnimePlanet!
We'd love your help with spreading the word about the site on Twitter, RT'ing announcements we post on there, etc :)

Finally, if you enjoy this feature, please consider donating to support the site. We have some pretty big costs right now (not only the multiple servers a month cost, but also the redesign effort, professional designer, etc) and anything helps. <3

Last edited:
I'm glad to finally see something like this go up. I do want to know though, will there be a way to individually opt in and out of status, episodes, and rating posts so as to not flood our twitters too terribly? Maybe a cap for the number of posts in a certain amount of time? Because if someone spams their twitter with posts, I imagine people will be put iff by the site then.

Also, it'd be nice to opt specific anime out in case they were of the more...shameful variety. I'm fine with telling people I'm watching Attack on Titan but something like Aki Sora might be rather kept secret from social media.

Currently we don't have a plan to split up the anime/manga buckets any more granularly, and it sounds like having to opt-in on a per-anime basis would be pretty much a nightmare

basically we're looking to users to choose how mcuh to share on their feed or not and to be conscious of what they consider to be spammy or not. we don't have much control outside of that :)

Last edited:
I only wish I could choose to automatically tweet what I've watched and not what I've rated (or vice versa). I just finished a movie. I marked it as watched and then I rated it. It sent out two tweets, one after the other.

Same complaint with not being able to only tweet when I've marked something as watched, but not for want to watch, dropped, stalled, watching, and won't watch. It's a minor complaint, but I've turned off the feature as a result.

the former is probably doable - meaning, having a separate option for rating things. changing it to allow only individual statuses may not happen... depends on how much people want it. i'd imagine not many people would care about only sending certain statuses, and it would certainly make the page way more cluttered

twitterupdates.jpg

I don't see this menu after signing in with twitter. I see it for facebook but not for twitter. What can I do to get it fixed?

are you sure you linked your twitter, and not facebook on accident instead? there should be a box for both buttons. try re-linking twitter if you un-authorized the app on twitter?

the button will always say 'sign in with twitter' even if you've linked the account because of how twitter's assets work

are you sure you linked your twitter, and not facebook on accident instead? there should be a box for both buttons. try re-linking twitter if you un-authorized the app on twitter?

the button will always say 'sign in with twitter' even if you've linked the account because of how twitter's assets work

Yes I am sure that I linked my twitter. My twitter feed is on my profile page and I have this on my applications tab on twitter:

twitter.jpg

I think there's something wrong with the redirect link? When I signed in with my facebook I was redirected to my profile page with this link and the box with the options was there, but when I signed in with my twitter I was redirected to my profile page with the usual link and no changes happened.

yeah xesxen has found an issue and will fix it once hje's done eating, ill post here once theres an update :) thanks for bearing with us

it's fixed now, posting a site announcement about it. thanks for being so persistent :)

Back