Announcing a new weekly Anime-Planet column on Crunchyroll!

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Hi guys,

It's been a little over a month since we partnered with Crunchyroll, and now, I'm happy to announce that they've asked us to write a weekly column as a part of the news team!

Once a week, I'll post another episode of "Anime-Planet Recommends...", where your recommendations, most popular anime and top loved/hated characters are showcased for the past week.

Check out the first article now!

You might notice that for some of the rec pairs, I called out several of you, and parts of your 'reason' text (or, summarized it). I hope this will encourage you to make lots of recommendations from week to week! Your name could be called out in lights for all of Anime-Planet, as well as Crunchyroll's community!

I hope you enjoy the new column! I'll announce them each week on the site's Facebook and Twitter pages, and will post them somewhere undetermined in the forum too.

:drink::drinking:

Wow, big props to AP for getting this far. It's nice to see the CR community is so hyped for these columns too.

Nice article. I think next time you should address how people sometimes will first read Anime-Planet as Animal Planet. There was a comment about it this time and a comment about it in the partnering announcement with Crunchy as well, haha.

Nice! Just read it. A really useful way to get the latest from AP to a different audience.

Since you mention you are happy for feedback: I recommend you try less breadth and more depth. So cover fewer recs in one post and rather try some kind of analysis based on maybe the show or character. Like a mini show/character review.

And alternate between different types/combinations of recs if possible. So one week we get a popular show, another week we get popular characters, then followed by an analysis of a recommendation by AP members etc.

On the recs front one thing we'll definitely need is more recs! Barely anyone makes them recently, so there aren't a lot of weekly ones to choose from... I'm hoping this article series encourages people to make more recs, more frequently, so I'll have more content to go off of :)

CR specifically asked me to not have review type content, more like stating aggregation info and analysis on that level, but not so much opinion-based content. One challenge I think I'm going to run into is just the sheer time it will take to maintain this, so I may have to go for the breath approach if only because it's easier for me to show 'here's some of the top recs', rather than having to know about the content in question :) (especially with the redesign coming up, I have no time to watch anime at all anymore ;__; so I'm very out of the loop with why the trends are happening)

Awesome and nice read, Sothis! :drinking:

Maybe I should also start to write some more recs if I got some more free time at hand...

Thoughts;
#1 - Awesome and great job!
#2 - Perhaps this could motivate me and hopefully others to make more recs now.
#3 - Uhh... I doubt CR would want my name to appear on there... :sweat:
#4 - I wonder if I should part with my name even though it feels like an important component of me here on AP... it was completely unintentionall as I didn't know of the word but it has brought laughs to lots of people...
#5 - I'll give this some time and again, nice work Sothis! :smile:haven't been watching much currently airing anime lately :sweat:

Add recs even for not brand new/current anime! I'd love to have more to choose from - I'm currently focusing on pairs that get multiple recommendations but would love to find some gems as well

Well you can tell us about titles you would possibly use in advance 1-2 day ago. So we can work of our minds for them :D :laugh:
Though I try to add for everything I watch/Read

I saw this new feature on CR before you posted about it here, glad everyone at A-P now knows about it and that there is a handy link here (I'd bookmarked it on CR to get to it again before).

I been bad about adding new recs, but mostly that is because I've been watching a lotta bad anime lately that I would recommend people NOT watch! LOL There is no Anti-recommendation feature! I'll try to post some new recs soon.

Well that was a nice read, keep up great work sothis!

Maybe I should start adding some recs myself soon, but I never though I'd be good at it so I just kinda neglected it.

I saw this new feature on CR before you posted about it here, glad everyone at A-P now knows about it and that there is a handy link here (I'd bookmarked it on CR to get to it again before).

I been bad about adding new recs, but mostly that is because I've been watching a lotta bad anime lately that I would recommend people NOT watch! LOL There is no Anti-recommendation feature! I'll try to post some new recs soon.

something that i do for series like these is one-way recs - recommend something GOOD for the shitty anime, and don't click the 'rec both ways' box. this way, if someone is on the bad anime's page and did like it, you can recommend something way better for them to move to next.

i usually am honest with these and say 'i didn't care for [series 1], but if you did like [these aspects] you would probably enjoy [series 2], because it has the same elements [and insert reasons why it's better]

these kind of recs are very valuable, because it can help influence someone to watch even better anime!

Well that was a nice read, keep up great work sothis!

Maybe I should start adding some recs myself soon, but I never though I'd be good at it so I just kinda neglected it.

trust me, they are easy to do :) just make sure the reason text works both ways if you click 'both ways' (for ex, 'if you liked either A or B, you'd like the other because both [insert similarities here]'). if there's a problem or an improvement suggestion i'll let you know. you can also check out the recommendation faq for more tips (it's lnked from the add recs page )

I'll try to get up some recs too, don't think I've done a single one. xD

now is as good a time as any to start! not a lot of peopel add recs and they are so valuable to other readers, and they're easiest to do right after you watch something and things are fresh.

you can also take inspiration from the recent recs page: https://www.anime-planet.com/users/recent_recommendations.php?filter=anime and click the 'i agree' button to add a quick reason for pairs you agree with

That was a nice read, great job sothis! might do some recs sometime soon never got around doing much but i'll give it my best shot!

Back