Why should I turn my ad blockers off for Anime-Planet?

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
I've seen this come up a few times, so I'll make a thread:

We know, ads are annoying - but we also know that the ads on Anime-Planet are the only way (besides your generous donations) that we get any $ through the door to help pay for the high development and server costs V3 is draining from our personal accounts. Currently we aren't getting enough ad revenue to cover anything close to what we are spending on getting V3 up and running for you.

So please, I humbly request that you allow ads to be shown for AP in your ad blockers - it won't make much of a difference to you, but it will make a difference for us! Clicking ads you think are interesting help us a lot, too.

(and of course, there's always [email protected] for paypal! :D)

Thanks for supporting AP!

I click ads every now and again, and A-P is the only site that I allow my adblocker to ignore.
Besides, they're pretty seamless ads. They don't make noise, they don't pop-up and they don't flash in seizure inducing ways. Not to mention they're geared towards Anime and manga so you might find something you like. I found a good manga site through A-P's ads.

So quit being a blocker.

the main reason im not having any ads is that my internet connection is damn slow. you can't even play a game with someone else browsing on the internet. thus, in order to save bandwidth im disabling any ads. currently a new dsl connection (fiber glass) is being installed and i should get a much better connection then, but until then i will not turn off adblock for any site. sorry.

Besides, they're pretty seamless ads. They don't make noise, they don't pop-up and they don't flash in seizure inducing ways. Not to mention they're geared towards Anime and manga so you might find something you like. I found a good manga site through A-P's ads.

I agree. I barely even notice they are there most of the time. Compared to other sites where they are all in your face and annoying, these are no problem at all.

Now that you mention it I don't see any trace of ads.

I don't use specific ad blockers, only annoyance blocker.

If the ads use

- flash
- javascript hosted on other sites
- animated images

they won't show up, ever.

Sorry, my PC is slow as it is, and besides being annoying in many other ways these technologies slow it down even more.

I'm not against ads in general and I see them on some other sites, some are even so much to the point they are interesting.

keep in mind that 99% of any ads are javascript, so yes, by disabling it's essentially taking away from the site being able to maintain itself or grow in the future.

keep in mind that 99% of any ads are javascript, so yes, by disabling it's essentially taking away from the site being able to maintain itself or grow in the future.

Ad targeting (that is, more precise than per-site targeting) is overrated. Any decent ad provider can display non-js static ads.

Even if you want targeted ads they can be done by scraping the site directly rather than executing in the browser of every visitor which does not hog the visitor's computers and thus saves electricity.

I'm not going to enable JS for quantserve. It's on every other page.

i'm not sure what the point is of responding to a thread in which i say 'this is the only way the site can pay for itself and new features, please enable ads' with 'i refuse to enable ads', unless the goal is some sort of 'haha, i'm leeching the resouces for free and there's nothing you can do about it' statement.

i'm not sure what the point is of responding to a thread in which i say 'this is the only way the site can pay for itself and new features, please enable ads' with 'i refuse to enable ads', unless the goal is some sort of 'haha, i'm leeching the resouces for free and there's nothing you can do about it' statement.

If azurewatcher is blocking javascript ads, there's a good chance that a lot of other people are as well, so switching to non-javascript might increase ad revenue (though I don't really know very much about ads, so I might not know what I'm talking about).

regardless of what azure says, finding a reputable, high paying ad agency with static ads is essentially an impossibility.

What about ad sites that use server-side scripting instead of javascript? ie, Everytime the image site.com/ad.png is loaded it pulls a random image from a directory on the server.

anyone who would like me to change the ads away from javascript can feel free to go do the research and find me these non-js ad agencies that apparantly exist. they must pay minimum $5 CPMs during good quarters, be very reputable/trustworthy, and have good reporting tools.

it's great in theory to come up with these alternate ways to do ads, but i'm talking about the reality of what ad agencies do. it could be that there's a really great company out there that i'm unaware of - if that's the case, i'd like to know about them.

You're taking my post the wrong way. I'm asking you about such sites. I know nothing of advertising except for blocking annoying ads. I know that many ads I've blocked on various sites come in the form of "site.com/ads.php?banner=uyfguy32iu4giu.jpg". I also know that there are many image rotating scripts that one can use to display random images for a sig or whatever (and that said scripts usually function with a url similar to the example I just posted). I don't know how many ad sites actually use such a method. I don't know if many of those ads I've seen were some server side code that the site owner setup to replace the ad server's javascript. I don't know how reliable any such ad sites are. I don't know how well any such ad sites pay. Hence, I was asking what (if any) experience or knowledge you had of such sites, and suggesting that they might be an alternative if people really have such a problem with javascript based ads. (Personally, javascript, server-side, and static ads are all the same to me.)

I'm not trying to get you to change anything. I saw an apparent problem, had an idea that might help, and put the idea out there. Excuse me for trying to help.
*puts this thread on his "don't bother reading again" list*

i apologize for the misunderstanding - my mistake.

based on my knowledge there aren't major ad agencies that do this - you're pretty much stuck with whatever they give you. some have the js because of behavioral targeting, but not always. for example, the new agency i'm with only does behavioral targeting for a very small percentage of the ads (and usually the lower paying ones).

id say the majority of the time you see an ad space, it's js - even things like google ads do it this way (but again i could be missing something). however, on the other hand, AP sigs are server side (then again they aren't ads)

I know you removed the Projectwonderful ads, but I also know they supply a code that shows their ads even when people have JS disabled. That's all I can offer in the way of help, I'm afraid.

I normally run with Ad-Block Plus enabled by default because there so many sites out there with these annoying flash ads that either grab control of the screen or have audio in them. There's nothing more annoying than sound ads coming out of my speakers just because I visited a site. Many sites have awfully placed ads as well.

The problem was so bad a few years back that I turned on ad-block plus, never looked back, and never gave it another thought.

I saw this thread awhile ago, however, and added A-P to the exceptions list in ABP. The ads on the site are well-placed and non-intrusive, so I don't mind seeing them to support the site. I've actually even clicked on a few good ones out of curiousity as well-- I saw one that had colored lenses for sale that make your eyes look like Sasuke or Itachi's Sharigan from Naruto. I was amused enough by that for a click. Though personally if I was going to wear something geeky like that I'd go for a Code Geass one :p

Anyways, I'd encourage anyone using ABP to also add this site as an exception. The ads really aren't bad here and I've seen some interesting ones.

yeah, and actually, since you're in the states, any time you're on the site (they dont show in the forum) and see a non google ad, it really helps us if you click! google ads bring in almost nothing, but any other type of ad really helps.

Back