Saki

And Patches? Who's yours? I know you like Yuuki's voice, but I don't have you down as a lolicon, so I think you'd go for... Fujita Pro? If I'm right, I'm expecting a cookie, btw.

Close, but more on my favorites in a moment.

First:
Saki's declaration at the end of 18 was another particularly awesome moment for me. Compare it to the typical shounen, "I MUST win so that..." usually spoken by a batter protagonist. Saki's calm statement of her goal and the confidence with which she spoke of it was exceptional. It reminded me of, you guessed it: Hikaru no Go. This scene echoes Hikaru's declaration to Ochi, but its softer delivery sent chills up my spine.

Now, I was wondering about the loli-con thing... As I'm to understand it all of these girls are technically loli (being underage), doesn't therik's graphic statement of desire in relation to Saki void his own founding membership in SPOIL?

But, enough about you, let's talk about me. These girls are all so... Young. As a result, they firmly rest in the land of no-attraction for me. Fujita IS awesome, but there's something about her hair, were it longer, she'd probably be my favorite (therik, you can WATCH me eat a cookie for getting it kind of right). I'm gambling that I'll find Saki's older sister to be the most attractive girl in the series (when she arrives).

Currently, my second favorite character is Momo. Her "I LOVES YOU!" declaration a few episodes back was one of the highlights of the show for me. Too bad she's not going to last the season.

Saki's declaration at the end of 18 was another particularly awesome moment for me. Compare it to the typical shounen, "I MUST win so that..." usually spoken by a batter protagonist. Saki's calm statement of her goal and the confidence with which she spoke of it was exceptional. It reminded me of, you guessed it: Hikaru no Go. This scene echoes Hikaru's declaration to Ochi, but its softer delivery sent chills up my spine.
Forgot to mention that. Yes, I loved it too. She wasn't really saying "I must win because..." but rather "when I win, I'm gonna..." Great stuff.

Now, I was wondering about the loli-con thing... As I'm to understand it all of these girls are technically loli (being underage), doesn't therik's graphic statement of desire in relation to Saki void his own founding membership in SPOIL?

Not all of them are underage. For me, underage is less than 16. I've done my research on this and I understand that - being first years - Saki, Nodoka and Yuuki are all 15-16. Hisa would be 17-18 as she's a third year, and the rest of the players will be somewhere beteween 15 and 18, depending on their month of birth and what year they're in. Koromo, for example, was explicitly mentioned as being 16.

As for Saki, I understand she's 15, but I'll wait a year. Somehow. If they do a birthday episode as filler, expect celebrations.

But, enough about you, let's talk about me. These girls are all so... Young. As a result, they firmly rest in the land of no-attraction for me. Fujita IS awesome, but there's something about her hair, were it longer, she'd probably be my favorite (therik, you can WATCH me eat a cookie for getting it kind of right). I'm gambling that I'll find Saki's older sister to be the most attractive girl in the series (when she arrives).

See, that honestly was going to be my guess. Really, it was, but then I thought "no. Surely Patches won't pick a girl who hasn't yet been seen. That would be downright crazy." Seriously, you pick on the length of Fujita's hair. There could be any number of things wrong with Saki's sister. She could have a face in the shape of a shovel. she could have no fingers. She could be on fire. You get an unimpressed smiley for not thinking this through properly: =/

See, that honestly was going to be my guess. Really, it was, but then I thought "no. Surely Patches won't pick a girl who hasn't yet been seen. That would be downright crazy." Seriously, you pick on the length of Fujita's hair. There could be any number of things wrong with Saki's sister. She could have a face in the shape of a shovel. she could have no fingers. She could be on fire. You get an unimpressed smiley for not thinking this through properly: =/

I'm not gonna touch the hair comment. That will get us wildly off-topic because there would be a presentation. With pictures. Maybe I'll start a thread or something. BUT, I can speak to the rest of the comments.

First, lest anyone think therik telepathic, I have loudly proclaimed my preference for older women in anime (when I say Christmas Cake, I mean a woman over 25). therik took a gamble on the two older women in the series.

Now, in regard to the sister: Doesn't me pulling a crazy wait on my favorite series cutie fit in with the overal milieu of the anime? Besides, the wait is not as bad as it looks. There's also the possibility that Saki has a "Hot Shounen Mom".

First, lest anyone think therik telepathic, I have loudly proclaimed my preference for older women in anime (when I say Christmas Cake, I mean a woman over 25). therik took a gamble on the two older women in the series.

Sssshhh! Don't give away my secrets! >_>

*therik mutters something about it being your fault for being too predictable*

Now, in regard to the sister: Doesn't me pulling a crazy wait on my favorite series cutie fit in with the overal milieu of the anime?

I just imagined you as Hisa, holding a bunch of character tiles, waiting for one "Saki's sister" tile to complete your hand, while your team mates lament your decision to throw away a three-way wait on Momo, the girl with one eye, and Fujita Pro. This mental image amused me greatly. And you most definitely did fit in with the milieu of the show, so fair play to you on that.

Also, I really do want to see the presentation about hair length now. Very curious.

Also, I really do want to see the presentation about hair length now. Very curious.

I will take the time to gather my photos. Likely the presentation will be on my Tumblr. Any interested parties should PM me so that I can send them a message when I've got it up.

Also, the Kazekoshi Captain is cute, but ONLY WHEN SHE OPENS THE OTHER DAMN EYE. When both eyes are closed, I'm all "Ahh... What a refreshing smile." When the eye is closed, I'm like "Wear an eyepatch (Marie Mjolnir is high on my list), or slide your ninja headband down to cover it (no, I don't have a thing for Kakashi)."

I will take the time to gather my photos. Likely the presentation will be on my Tumblr. Any interested parties should PM me so that I can send them a message when I've got it up.

Also, the Kazekoshi Captain is cute, but ONLY WHEN SHE OPENS THE OTHER DAMN EYE. When both eyes are closed, I'm all "Ahh... What a refreshing smile." When the eye is closed, I'm like "Wear an eyepatch (Marie Mjolnir is high on my list), or slide your ninja headband down to cover it (no, I don't have a thing for Kakashi)."

I agree, I find a little weird appearance-wise. Also, doesn't it feel weird when you just have 1 eye closed? She must have gotten used to it by now, but it still probably feels weird. And anyways, if she thinks its weird, then she needs to have more self-confidence in her appearance. She is, very cute.

Anyways episode 18 was awesome. Go Saki.

Saki 19
That was kind of an anti-climax, but the regional tourney ended along the lines of what I expected about 10 episodes ago... I am worried about the pacing of the series, because the EP 20 preview indicates that we're going to see a lot more of the "side" characters. Individual tournament for season 2? That would suck. I like these characters well enough, but if Saki's main plot doesn't get to go forward until the national tournament. :...:

Non-spoiler for episode 20:
A POOL EPISODE? We already had a hot-spring episode. TWO FANSERVICE EPISODES IN ONE SEASON?!? This... This is excellent.

P.S. Hisa's apparently got a bangin' bod under that seifuku... Quiz has good eyes.

wow... that loli convo in this thread makes me feel unclean for watching saki. roflol

seriously though the amount of implied yuri in this show is about at the edge of my limits for yuri. i don't know much about this game but is it me... or
did saki pull the biggest lucky hand in the world to win the tourney?

Oh, poor Az. My watch list would make him toss his cookies (Yakyuu Musume + Saki + Kanamemo + 3rd time through Strawberry Panic! for the review).

i don't know much about this game but is it me... or
did saki pull the biggest lucky hand in the world to win the tourney?

Yakumans, rare hands that are worth a ton of points are very hard to get. The one she got is one of the hardest to achieve, imo. But, Saki is loved by the tiles.

It was certainly epic for me. I can't wait 'til nationals.

O.o Saki's sister is wow! :love:

But Hisa in a swim suit?!:love::love:

Overall the episode was a nice break away from mahjong. Introduced a some background stories on a few of the characters and Saki's school/sister seem like some REALLY cold people.

Looks like next week's episode is a recap on the prelim tourney.

Yay. Fan service.

And by yay fan service i mean
FFFFUUUUUU.png

Is it just me or is Koromo drawn more cutesy in this episode?
I was expecting her to be brutally tentacle raped at any minute.

Yay. Fan service.

And by yay fan service i mean
FFFFUUUUUU.png

Is it just me or is Koromo drawn more cutesy in this episode?
I was expecting her to be brutally tentacle raped at any minute.

Believe it was just you. All of my attention was on Hisa.

Is it just me or the animation quality dropped quite a bit in this last episode? Some of those wide shots were pretty ugly. :/
sakir.jpg

Decent episode overall, though. I'm just wondering why they would put two ED songs in the same (normal) episode... Nice waste of air time.

Gonzo really must have it rough these days...

Haven't watched the full episode, but I was dead wrong. It's not Teru, it's whoever that hawt President of Teru's club is... Rawr.

--P

I won't lie, this has perked my interest in Mahjong and I've been trying to find a freeware version to play on my computer, even if it is against 4 computers.

Problem is, don't really know what to trust, anyone know of any? I have a mahjong game on my computer but it's called Mahjong Titans and it's weird.

Nevermind, found a flash game of Japanese Mahjong, I'm quickly getting the hang of it.
http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

Last edited:
I won't lie, this has perked my interest in Mahjong and I've been trying to find a freeware version to play on my computer, even if it is against 4 computers.

Problem is, don't really know what to trust, anyone know of any? I have a mahjong game on my computer but it's called Mahjong Titans and it's weird.

Nevermind, found a flash game of Japanese Mahjong, I'm quickly getting the hang of it.
Japanese Mahjong - Flash Game

Quizap, if you have some asian friends, I will definitely recommend you to play with them in person. Mahjong is a social game, and its meant to be played slowly. Its much more fun when you're in the same room and I find online play to be incredibly boring. Its a good way to learn the rules, but its a totally different game when you play it with friends in person.

Back