Saki

Quizap, if you have some asian friends, I will definitely recommend you to play with them in person. Mahjong is a social game, and its meant to be played slowly. Its much more fun when you're in the same room and I find online play to be incredibly boring. Its a good way to learn the rules, but its a totally different game when you play it with friends in person.

I would if I could but I have close to zero friends here in FL thanks to the hours I work. Really hard to do anything with your friends when you get off of work around 10 or 11am and then head to bed around 9pm or earlier for a 3 to 4am shift :crying:

I would if I could but I have close to zero friends here in FL thanks to the hours I work. Really hard to do anything with your friends when you get off of work around 10 or 11am and then head to bed around 9pm or earlier for a 3 to 4am shift :crying:

I feel you man. My new roommate also works graveyard so I never get to see her.

I've been looking for a good online mah jong site for a while, but unfortuantely most of the sites I've found all play speed mahjong with like 10 second timers per turn, takes the fun out of it.

Anyway, was playing with the site that Quizap, amusingly enough winning with Rinshan Kaihou is relatively easy. I've already done it twice this morning. Might have something to do with the way the game was written.

[Edit] Make that 3 times.

Last edited:
Fukuji gets me every time. I've been waiting for
her to open her eye again ever since the first occurrence. Something about heterochromia is just really pretty.

I think Saki is solely responsible for making Sunday my favorite day of the week for a few months now.

Finally caught up. What a great way to get back into the swing of things after spending a week in the woods!

Episode 20 - 21
I liked the filler. Yes, the animation was a little weak, but things seemed to go back to normal once play resumed. I am now CONVINCED that they're slated to run as many seasons as they need to follow the manga. We're going to see the second half of the finals extend into the second season, which is... kind of okay? Can't decide.

Oh, and Teru looked cuter in Saki's dream than she did when we saw her for real. Somethings gone horribly wrong for this girl, like Koromo. It will be interesting to see what the future brings.

P.S. Did I mention it's good to be back?

about saki's sister

i think saki's memory of her sister is rose colored... remember in the beginning where saki was explaining why she hated mahjong? she said if she won with her family people would get mean and mad at her. I highly suspect it's her sister she was talking about

from the short segment which her sister was in... either saki and her had a HUGE falling out... or her sister's just a bitch.

from the short segment which her sister was in... either saki and her had a HUGE falling out... or her sister's just a bitch.

Probably her sister and her mom are the latter. Remember in the first few episodes, Saki said her family always got mad when she won so she always played to get a + or - Zero as a score. Thanks to Hisa :love: Saki is finally out of that hole.

my thoughts about the sister
I'd say she might have "Haramura first reaction", just more extreme. Meaning she always thought she was winning with Saki, and then at one point she found out Saki was just giving her easy wins and got really mad at Saki for trampling her pride. Cuz if it's just her being angry of Saki skill, then beating the crap out of her at nationals (which seems like obvious course of action) wouldn't really let them reconcile...

my thoughts about the sister
I'd say she might have "Haramura first reaction", just more extreme. Meaning she always thought she was winning with Saki, and then at one point she found out Saki was just giving her easy wins and got really mad at Saki for trampling her pride. Cuz if it's just her being angry of Saki skill, then beating the crap out of her at nationals (which seems like obvious course of action) wouldn't really let them reconcile...

I think the divorce is the real reason. Remember in episode 3 when Saki mentioned that she went to Tokyo once to try and reason with them, but "nothing she said got through to her sister." Saki wasn't at that level when she was younger either, she wouldn't have stood a chance against Teru if Fujita stomped her so easily. I'm thinking that Teru and Saki each chose which parent to stay with, and Teru has been furious that Saki chose her father over her mother.

Episode 23

1. The new girl is cute in a plain sort of way. I anticipate that she'll be going to the finals in the nationals, since they wouldn't have added her otherwise and she screams of needing friends like Koromo.

2. Silly Saki, giving it a half-assed effort. Thanks, Nodoka for clearing that one up. But, a kiss would have worked a lot better, don't you think?

3. Ahh, Momo... You're adorable, that's for sure, but breaking ranks will awaken Saki who has power over the tiles like you won't believe. Your sempai is one of the best players in the Tourney and Saki ran right over her. Hisa had the right idea deviating from the plan will get all of you spanked when Saki gets back into the game.

Episode 23

1. The new girl is cute in a plain sort of way. I anticipate that she'll be going to the finals in the nationals, since they wouldn't have added her otherwise and she screams of needing friends like Koromo.

2. Silly Saki, giving it a half-assed effort. Thanks, Nodoka for clearing that one up. But, a kiss would have worked a lot better, don't you think?

3. Ahh, Momo... You're adorable, that's for sure, but breaking ranks will awaken Saki who has power over the tiles like you won't believe. Your sempai is one of the best players in the Tourney and Saki ran right over her. Hisa had the right idea deviating from the plan will get all of you spanked when Saki gets back into the game.

Was a good episode, I was very pleased with it. Much :love: for Hisa :love:

The one thing that's annoying me is that
You kinda know Saki's gonna come back and win anyway, but not through skill, or hardwork, or anything, but by getting the luckiest hand in the entire history of the game ever.

Finally feeling a sigh of relief after getting my weekly dose of Saki after two week's wait lol.

My thoughts on Episode 22

Leave it to Hisa to figure out how to stop Saki dead in her tracks. However, although it is logical that she wants to win and force Saki to play to her full power, she just showed the world how to stop Saki. Now its just an anime but in the real world that would completely destroy their chances at the team tournament as its putting up a glowing neon sign that say "Here the strategy to stop Saki!!!!!" However, I'm sure Saki will find a way to win or Hisa for that matter.

I almost half wish that Hisa's alliance against Saki would of some how break Saki's spirit in a bad way because of a sense of betrayal there by unleashing Saki's true demon and absolutely crushing everyone 100 times worse than Koromo lol. This could lead to some serious drama within Kiyosumi's Mahjong club before the Nationals. However, this will never happen lol. Its just something I want to see in the back of my mind.

I was really hoping to see more back story development between Mihoko and Hisa in this episode but guess that will wait another 1 or 2 episodes. I really want to see Hisa explain why she left the tournament during middle school even though I can pretty much can reason it out myself. But I still want to see it :)

you want more back-story?

in a anime that's somehow managed to milk two who eps on "stealth momo" back-story? (thank god not back to back... i actually fast forwarded through the yuri undertone back-story of stealth momo this ep, i've gotten used to spotting time filler lol)

no thank you. it's barely watchable as it is... the last thing we need is to slow it down more.

you want more back-story?

in a anime that's somehow managed to milk two who eps on "stealth momo" back-story? (thank god not back to back... i actually fast forwarded through the yuri undertone back-story of stealth momo this ep, i've gotten used to spotting time filler lol)

no thank you. it's barely watchable as it is... the last thing we need is to slow it down more.

I didn't like the Momo backstory especially since it took so long and more so because she isn't even a main character. However though since Hisa is one of the main characters I'll like to see her background story a bit in way its been done so far with relatively short glimpses, clues, short interactions, not an entire episode dedicated towards it.

The pace is good enough for me and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. I'm probably more interested in Hisa's background then anyone here since she's my favorite in the whole thing.

I don't know what it is about Saki but I've watch every episode from 1 to the latest every week in between new releases. I'm do not normally rewatch animes or tv shows. Even the animes I used to consider my favorites, before Saki, I would rewatch ones or twice every few months. In short, I'm totally addicted.

I don't know what it is about Saki but I've watch every episode from 1 to the latest every week in between new releases. I'm do not normally rewatch animes or tv shows. Even the animes I used to consider my favorites, before Saki, I would rewatch ones or twice every few months. In short, I'm totally addicted.

Hehehe. I totally marathonned this when I started watching. Now, on to the delicious episode opinions:

Episode 23
Mixed opinions. Saki's matches were excellent, but she continues to win the same way despite showing evolutions in strategy. Meanwhile, I really wish that 1. The end of this arc didn't mean no more Momo, I love her. 2. The captain's match was reduced to ONE HANCHAN? Really? I feel that we missed out on a lot of interaction and good mahjong by watching the magical people play.

BUT I didn't really care in the end. I clapped, I got tense, I was floored that the episode contained as much content as it did. I only wish there were more yureez cuteness in the episode.

In the end 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place went to Kiyosumi. Even though only the top 3 go on to the National's I was a bit dismayed that the announcer didn't mention that especially since the difference between Hisa and Saki was just 1 point! That being said if Saki played to win from the start she would of easily finished first.

The episode ended how I figured it would since it shows Saki making an "electric" pon or kong. Since the other players were winning with small hand she only required one big hand to win.

I was excited to see Saki play against Nanpo "South Wind" girl. I expected Noddochan to play her since she would shrug off that "south wind" superstition. However it was funny to see Jun's comment that disrupting the flow had no effect on her.

So it looks like we get an OVA / Warp up episode next week before a long long long unbearable wait before season 2 and the national tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back