Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Modesty81

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

Just started on this show, seemed kind of good, but noticed that there are only 18 eps out of 26.. why is that? because i havent seen any eps get released in a long time from ghost in the shell so i asumed that it was done, but so its not.. soo why are only 18 eps out? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's correct. In Japan this show is being aired on a special pay-per-view channel, and 2 episodes are done a month.

It is a 26 episode series.

-Freakzilla

Can someone explain to me where the Tachikomias come into it?

I have like 6 of the little Spider Tanks videos.... Where the hell do these fall within the series?

They're all-purpose combat/stealth robots used by the agency in various activities... primarily surveillance and fire support.

On a side note it is true that there where a Hugeh timegap betwen ep 16 and 17 (aprox 2 months ? which si weird). 17 and 18 was just rolled out these last weeks anones 18 come out yesterday even.. of course if yo go with Ani_kraze liek em 17 ans 18 come out 1.5 week ago. but not to long a time imho...

Euxinus said:
On a side note it is true that there where a Hugeh timegap betwen ep 16 and 17 (aprox 2 months ? which si weird). 17 and 18 was just rolled out these last weeks anones 18 come out yesterday even.. of course if yo go with Ani_kraze liek em 17 ans 18 come out 1.5 week ago. but not to long a time imho...

I don't believe so. 15 and 16 were broadcast in May, and 17 and 18 were supposed to have been broadcast in June, with 19 and 20 in July. I hadn't heard anything about them being delayed though.... if they were, people would have presumably been talking about it at the Production IG forums for the show (at http://www.productionig.com/forums/)

I have no idea why it took fansub groups so long to get to fansubbing 17 and 18.

Apparently 19 and 20 have now both aired in Japan, according to a recent posting at the forums.

-Freakzilla

Also...to the one who asked about how the Tachikoma Specials fit in...well...i'm not really sure except they started comming out around april or may of this year...and there are about 10 out, the last i checked......they don't seem to have any impact on the continuity of the show but instead add just odd little skits......sort of like the Chibi bits at the end of Hellsing eps......and given the wacky nature of the Tachikomas...despite the well formed CG models, i'd still say its SD, if only for thier minds...

Mereel1138 said:
Also...to the one who asked about how the Tachikoma Specials fit in...well...i'm not really sure except they started comming out around april or may of this year...and there are about 10 out, the last i checked......they don't seem to have any impact on the continuity of the show but instead add just odd little skits......sort of like the Chibi bits at the end of Hellsing eps......and given the wacky nature of the Tachikomas...despite the well formed CG models, i'd still say its SD, if only for thier minds...

Yeah... this is what I was trying to figure out

The Tachikoma specials, so far (having seen ep 1-10) only relate to the show very indirectly in the way that some of them deal with the concept that Tachikomas might be acquiring sentience, which is a topic that a few episodes of GITS TV have touched on. They're obviously just supposed to be comedy shorts though.

Ghost in the Shell is one of my alltime favourite anime movie. I didn't even know that there was series made out of it. Is the drawing style the same as it was in the movie, which I thought that really kicked ass! Or can you compare it with the movie at all?

Only one way to know for sure......watch some...

However, i'd personaly say the setting and style (both visual and storywise) are much closer to the manga than the movie...

Mereel1138 said:
Only one way to know for sure......watch some...

However, i'd personaly say the setting and style (both visual and storywise) are much closer to the manga than the movie...

Yeah, Mereel is right on the money here.

When the "Ghost in the Shell" movie was made, it was done by a director named Oshii, who is generally notable for trying to do more ponderous stuff (he got his start with Urusei Yatsura, which was a comedy, but also did the second UY movie, Beautiful Dreamer, which showed more of his style). He is also a contemporary of Miyazaki, but went in sort of a different direction.

Anyway, when he did the Ghost in the Shell movie, he took the basic setting, characters, etc. as the original Shirow Masamune manga, but gave it a fairly different tone and style.

The manga has it's share of technophilosophizing, but it doesn't take itself as seriously, and has a lighter tone.

This new Ghost in the Shell TV series is more directly based in Shirow's original work, and you get a closer feel to what he had in mind.

Oshii is however still doing a new Ghost in the Shell movie, due out next year, called INNOCENCE: Ghost in the Shell. What information there is on it so far is at http://www.productionig.com/innocence.php if you're interested. There's a smattering of information available so far, and I'm sure more will come out soon..... primarily all we know is that Oshii has described the new movie as an "erotic drama" or something like that.

-Freakzilla

Thanks alot guys! I really gotta check out GitS series.

I recently acquired a live action movie directed by Mamoru Oshii called Avalon, which was kind of interesting. Weirdly the language was Czech or something, that was the original language not dubbed.

Ripzter said:
Thanks alot guys! I really gotta check out GitS series.

I recently acquired a live action movie directed by Mamoru Oshii called Avalon, which was kind of interesting. Weirdly the language was Czech or something, that was the original language not dubbed.

Avalon was done in Polish. Most of the actors in it were Polish too, if I recall. It's just the language and country he wanted to set the movie in. I think he's given some interviews where he goes into more detail about this choice, but I don't remember exactly.

One nice thing is that Miramax got Neil Gaiman to do the English script for this movie, which was a great choice (Neil Gaiman is one of the premiere fantasy writers today, with a fair amount of experience with sci-fi as well), and he is particularlly well suited to the task..... although I still haven't seen them release this in theaters or DVD's, so hopefully it will happen soon.

-Freakzilla

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG

Was crying last night around midnight when I finished episode 26 and I saw the Tachikoma's sacrifice themselves and crashed their satellite into the missile.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG

Was crying last night around midnight when I finished episode 26 and I saw the Tachikoma's sacrifice themselves and crashed their satellite into the missile.

Bet you never thought you would care that much about the
machines huh? I felt similar.

Back