New 'extra info' feature added for anime/manga entries - and, your feedback needed!

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Hi everyone,

We've just added a new section underneath anime and manga synopses, for 'extra info'. Here's an example of the 'extra info' in action

Drahken and chikoritaBH are going to be our first moderators for the feature, and will assist with adding information and looking into your submissions.

Before we ask the community to start submitting 'extra info' to be added, we're looking for your feedback on how you'd like to see this feature used, and the best way you think we should structure the feature.

Here's some notes to consider:

• What info goes into the relations area, versus the 'extra info' section? For example, for a recap, we're leaning towards adding "Covers episodes 1-6 of [link to series]". Do we then remove that info from the relations area? Duplicate it? Where is the line drawn? For example, I don't think we'd want to say obvious things like "Is a sequel to [series]", because that content is clearly in the relations area. Listing where a side story takes place might be helpful, etc.

• What else do we want to cover in 'extra info'? Promotional statements are likely useful ("Created to promote the Toyota blah car"). What other kinds of notes would you want to see added?

• What's the best way to verify submissions? What we want to avoid is a flood of wikipedia cut and paste information from the community that isn't verified. We need a way to verify what content is accurate, and are looking for suggestions on the best way to do that. One thing we're thinking is that we could ask users to give specific details - for example, "X happens in episode 20 of Y series, and the side story assumes that Z has happened, so it has to come after episode 20". This proves (in theory) that the submitter has actually seen or read the series in question, and isn't just pasting from somewhere. Any other ideas or processes are appreciated, if you have something in mind.

Please let us know any thoughts you have on the above, or other thoughts. Note that the visual design isn't perfect but will change in the redesign anyways, so we don't plan to change that right now

Re: New 'extra info' feature added for anime/manga entries - and, your feedback neede

Hi everyone,

We've just added a new section underneath anime and manga synopses, for 'extra info'. Here's an example of the 'extra info' in action

Drahken and chikoritaBH are going to be our first moderators for the feature, and will assist with adding information and looking into your submissions.

Before we ask the community to start submitting 'extra info' to be added, we're looking for your feedback on how you'd like to see this feature used, and the best way you think we should structure the feature.

Here's some notes to consider:

• What info goes into the relations area, versus the 'extra info' section? For example, for a recap, we're leaning towards adding "Covers episodes 1-6 of [link to series]". Do we then remove that info from the relations area? Duplicate it? Where is the line drawn? For example, I don't think we'd want to say obvious things like "Is a sequel to [series]", because that content is clearly in the relations area. Listing where a side story takes place might be helpful, etc.

• The recap information is something I'd find really useful for this spot. I think it would be a good idea to link to the series it's recapping and to leave it in the relations section as well. However, I'd agree that you don't need to waste space giving sequel information in the new spot since that wouldn't add anything.

Also, something I might like to see there would maybe be change in Studio information. I know this is something that's already listed clearly, but I don't always notice it off to the side, but if it was put into the new extra information it'd be more likely to catch my idea. An example would be Cutey Honey. The first four series are all done by Toei Animation, but then the 2004 OVA was done by Gainax, which I think is an interesting piece of information that you could draw attention to. Someone might be more interested to watch a part of a franchise done by a studio they like.

Another example of the change is studio would Kino's Journey. This OVA was done by SHAFT rather than Wombat like the rest. So someone might be more interested in watching it knowing it was animated by SHAFT.

And this wouldn't take any effort to fact check since it's information you already have listed. I just think adding it to the new extra information would make it more noticeable.

Re: New 'extra info' feature added for anime/manga entries - and, your feedback neede

I think it would be useful for certain side episodes or movies to state where in the plot they take place, or if they're considered AU or something. Say for example the Cardcaptor Sakura movies. The first movie takes place between episodes 35 and 36 of the main anime and the second takes place after the anime.

Also, things on how long it follows the manga could be an interesting bit of info, like how the Soul Eater anime follows the manga to a certain point before diverging to its own ending.

First thing that popped into my head is how useful this feature would be for deciphering the UC Gundam storyline, what to watch in what order, as there are so many series, OVAs and movies surrounding it, all released at different dates to coincide with a different timeline...

The above two are great ideas as well. Something like Gundam can be goddamn impenetrable if you don't know what order to watch things in.

Another thing is since the database doesn't list visual novels that might be a good piece of information to add in the extra information spot. Just something that says it's an adaptation of such and such visual novel. An obvious example would be Fate Zero and Fate Stay Night or Phantom Requiem for the Phantom.

Lastly, maybe a spot for notable staff members. Someone casually using the site might not scroll down to look through the staff. So to use Cutey Honey again. The original manga was done by Go Nagi, someone that's pretty well know, so having that information in a more prominent spot might be a good idea. I think highlighting popular staff members might draw people to certain titles. I know for myself if I see Gen Urobuchi attached to something I'm more likely to want to check it out.

stuff like studios involved or important staff/etc, to me that's getting a little dangerously duplicative with what we already have in the staff section, or the fact that we list the studios already. what we want to avoid is a maintenance nightmare, for example, where on every studio ghibli movie we say 'this is a movie by studio ghibli', because we think people will care that it's a ghibli movie. i'd argue that 'studio ghibli' is already pretty accessible in the entry, and if it's not, we should think about moving that in the redesign

same deal with staff - it's hard to draw a subjective line and say 'these are staff members we think are important vs these other ones', and if we start putting that in the 'extra info', it totally duplicates the 'staff' database we already have set up

suggested orders is a bigger issue and one that i don't think can be solved in 'extra info'. gundam, for example, is incredibly long and probably needs many paragraphs describing it. we wouldn't want to type that up in every single gundam entry. more likely, we'd like to see official articles added in the future that give multiple examples of what order you might watch something in. that, or a programmatic list (with extra notes) of 'suggested viewing order'. interestingly enough, we used to have that sort of database in the early days of the site, but it wasn't scalable enough and dropped off eventually. in the redesign, i think it would be useful to have that sort of embedded content in the entry itself.

generally, i think the 'extra info' should be only for info that isnt really talked about elsewhere (so the idea of 'takes place between episode x and y' would in theory NOT get posted about in relations anymore, and would only go in the 'extra info'), or extra trivia bits that someone might care about.

i do think calling out visual novels is helpful, including, potentially, linking to some other site that showcases them. we really need some sort of 'based on visual novel' tag as well, have been debating that for awhile

Definitely one thing that just came to mind is clarification what Pokemon Chronicles covers on the website.

Well 1st of all nice feature
And this could be used to Simplify Manga-Anime Relation
Like Eyeshield21 Anime is ended quite b4 the End of Manga.
So In Extra Info we can state that
Covers 1-240 chapters of Manga . It'll ease up the process for people who want to read Manga from the spot anime ended.
And it Happens in many series as far I'm concerned.

Another use could be reverse of above suggestion,
Like Code Geass Manga = its split into many parts - We can add to them
Covers X-X episode of anime
Thanks for the Feature!

So does this mean we will finally see info on OPs/EDs pop up in some entries with this feature or is that planned for a later reveal?

this feature wasn't planned for OST info (unplanned for the redesign as well)

darn too bad, maybe something equally as awesome will pop up.

First thing that popped into my head is how useful this feature would be for deciphering the UC Gundam storyline, what to watch in what order, as there are so many series, OVAs and movies surrounding it, all released at different dates to coincide with a different timeline...

agreed. also, the DBZ series could use this feature to mention what movies happened between what episodes. there's a blog here on A-P that has done a great good job showing this. DBZ viewing order

I am not sure I saw this or not.

Difference between a actual sequel and a retelling of the series using the same characters and similar plot. Like the two versions of FMA the three regular versions of Tenchi, the two versions of El Hazard.

This would be different than an alternate world like the ones in Gundam, which does not use the same cast or world when it actually changes to an alternate timeline.

So does this mean we will finally see info on OPs/EDs pop up in some entries with this feature or is that planned for a later reveal?
I was surprised when I first joined AP that the site was so thorough in all things anime, except really, really lacking in musical information for series. Artists, songs, OP/ED themes not listed anywhere, nor any place to submit them. Maybe this could be a spot for that info?

it's just not a priority - we'd need to build a database schema for that, get it filled in, design it into the entries, etc. it's not a key piece of information most people need so it's not a focus, basically

there's always a possibility in the future, but definitely unplanned

I don't know if it's something that could/should be tracked with this, but after randomly picking about a dozen anime in a row that are apparently not completed (within season, between seasons, etc), I really wouldn't mind knowing in advance whether I should brace myself for frustration or not. lol

"oh cool, only 25 episodes in this series. I can watch the whole series this weekend!"
[cliff hanger ending to season 1. season 2 not started yet.]
"ugh!"

So, to be more specific, some indication that there's some sense of completion at the end of the series. I mean, I suppose that it's possible for a season to still have a sense of completion even if more seasons are coming, but that might be more of a judgement call. If the series is over, I'd think that would be easier to figure out.

Just a thought.

that would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too subjective to post, not to mention it would be 'no sense of completion' for almost all anime :p

most anime end at least somewhat openly because the manga aren't complete. regardless, this would be a way too subjective thing to mark and a nightmare to maintain

that would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too subjective to post, not to mention it would be 'no sense of completion' for almost all anime :p

ROFL!

most anime end at least somewhat openly because the manga aren't complete. regardless, this would be a way too subjective thing to mark and a nightmare to maintain

Yeah, maintaining would probably be a pain, but I've watched a lot of anime series that "ended" at the end. It's just that recently, I've picked a lot that are still going, I guess. Anyway, I figured I'd ask, just in case. ;-)

I guess maybe the opposite could be easier to track. Series that are known to be ongoing (in progress, or next season already planned/announced). Still probably a nightmare to maintain though. :-/

imo that's what the 'relations' are for :)

Back