Kanon (2006)

Fuyuzuki

Kanon (2006)

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

First off, I'm surprised there wasn't topic for this anime. Yes, I tried Search function and I checked the Alphabetical list of animes, neither provided me a link to topic about Kanon.

ANN links to both of the Kanons.
Kanon
Kanon(2006)

Here's the summary of the Kanon(2006)
Yuichi Aizawa returns to this city after seven years. In his childhood, he often visited it, but something happend in the past which caused him to block out his memories of the events of seven years ago. On the day after he gets settled in, he meets a girl carrying a backpack with wings on it. Her name is Tsukimiya Ayu and he begins to recall the memories he had lost.

Then discussion of the series itself. I'll post mine in a spoiler due the massive amounts of spoilers it may and probably contains.

Alright then, just earlier today I managed to finish off this series and gosh, I don't know how often I was on verge of tears while watching this. At first when I was recommended this anime, I was told that this would be a lot like Clannad. Oh boy was I lied so badly. These two may be made by the same company and belong to the same genre, but they're no way near the same, or even close.

First thing that hit me of this series was the OP. I fell in love with it the moment I heard it. There was just "something" in it. I'm currently listening the OP of Kanon & Kara no Kyoukai on repeat..Okay, enough of the OPs.

The series then.
Like I said already, I was more than once on verge of tears and honestly, at certain point I was thinking of dropping this.
Everything that happened in beginning, Makoto turning out to be born from a miracle and that she was actually the fox who Yuuichi had taken care of when he was kid. All of it was rather confusing. Were we living in a fantasy world or in "real world"? Although it did add nice touch to it, I found it little confusing since there really wasn't any explanations to as of why things happened and so on. Although the things said / suggested by Shiori in the last two episodes really made everything to fall into right places and that was all that was needed.

The little flashbacks given in beginning of the most episodes did gave plenty of information actually and I had actually figured out that the girl who'd Yuuichi would "end up with" was going to be Ayu.

Probably the most saddest story of all was the one with Kaori & Shiori. I just can't imagine how a person could possibly ignore the existence of another person, let alone not to accept her as your sister. In my opinion at least.

In the end, this was very beautiful story with well places humor to lighten up the mood due the "heavy" story. Much like the Ayu Mayu show in KGNE.
Although there's one thing that did surprise me. I did not find a girl within this series that would earn my unconditional love. I did find one favorite, but none of the girls could get the above. The favorite would be Mai.
Earns place in my TOP 5, which already contains more than 10 series.
Goes little off, but next I'm supposed to watch Air, but after hearing some comments of other people how Air was, I'm in doubt..

Great piece of art, definitely worth of watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Kanon

No, you are not at fault. This site has too many rules. Like we're supposed to find every single forum? Anyway there was no forum for Kanon. So don't be worried. Even if there was and you didn't find it, just make a new one. Currently I'm watching the newer version and I want to watch the older version. It's certainly a good show or I wouldn't watch it. How did you hear about it? The strange thing is that there are a few animes that I don't know how I found out about, but I just had to watch them. Kanon was one of them. I have no idea where I heard about Kanon from but it seems like one of those animes that you just have to watch.

Well, it goes back to the time when I was still watching Clannad. I was hanging on another forum where they were discussing of Key's other animations and such, this is basically from where I first heard of Kanon and others. The whole story began from one GIF I saw that was taken from Clannad. That GIF got me pretty much hooked up on these..

Wow, its amazing how higher quality animation and a few different voice actors made this anime seem 100% better than Kanon (2002).
I mean, in the first one I thought of Yuuichi as a retarded playboy because of how *masculine*sneeze* he acted, and because of the ridiculous size of his chin. With this new one though... I really enjoyed all of the characters arcs, they were very touching.
Definitely a good anime to watch.

I liked it but I tend to get over emotional with animes like this so i tend to yell NO and YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME a lot, and I did it a lot during this.
Like when i Saw her mom disappear under the car I was just like NO WAY!

This anime struck me like a hundred Dragon fists attacks. The best psychological drama with a hint of romance out there that I have seen. Yuuichi was a bit douchy at times but other then that it was awesome.

This anime struck me like a hundred Dragon fists attacks. The best psychological drama with a hint of romance out there that I have seen. Yuuichi was a bit douchy at times but other then that it was awesome.

Lol agreed at this. I wonder why I never noticed this thread before, considering this anime is in my top 5 (specifically my top 1). :laugh:

..... :...: :...: :...: You disappoint me Kanon 2006

Where to begin... The beginning perhaps? Not impressed with the opening track. Way to slow and way to revealing to the plot. I look to opening songs to set the mood for each episode, and this one didn't do it for me.

Now on to the actual beginning of the series. Excellent! There is no better word for it. I really liked the setup and was impressed with the immense amount of comedy. The story was very gripping too and had me watching episodes left and right. Each girl had a different "story" it seemed and it piqued my interest to no end. I especially began watching the series rapidly when Makoto's story began picking up. It was very well done and heartwarming. I won't lie, at the end I definitely shed some tears :crying: But in my opinion a good show makes me laugh, cry, and go "HOLY ****!" The way it was explained made more sense to me too than any of the other supernatural events in the show, especially since she didn't get a free ride and disappeared in the end. And jumping forward an assload of episodes, I liked the meet up with the real Makoto later in the series. Was a nice break from the dribble going on with Ayu.

Mai's story was interesting as well. Normally you would expect such an arc to be the real story in another anime somewhere else, which was its only problem, especially since at the end both Sayuki and Mai ended up bedridden till the final episode. Personally I would have liked it more if Sayuki had died. That would have definitely gotten some :crying: from me and made for a better story. At any rate regardless of the ending it put two likable characters completely out of commission and nullified them.

Shiori... Her sister said it best. "Why was she born?" This arc was very, very predictable and made me dislike Kaori a lot. I am an older sibling to a sister as well and if she was dying... that is not how I would treat her. I think this makes it into my top 5 "I Want to Jump in the Anime in Strangle You" list because of that. At any rate this arc was pitiful and a bad attempt at adding more "drama." I cut myself? Oh my good god, go eat some ice cream and cheer up. Asking Yuuichi to be her brother and then kissing him was bad too... what are you doing with your life?

Ayu... I had a bad feeling Yuuichi was going to land his finger on this one. At the point in the series where he arc begins, like Shiori's it was predictable. It doesn't help she wearing wings either, or that Yuuichi won her an angel when they were kids, or that she has wings in the Opening, or that she seemed to not have parents. It was like Makoto all over again except not as emotional. In addition out of all the girls, Ayu looked the most like a grade schooler and therefore made their love even more... off. Ayu was a great comedic relief in the earlier episodes and I wished she stayed that way.

Nayuki :) A sweet charming girl with a little necrosis. Her arc in between Shiori's and combined with Ayu's was a gasp of fresh air when I was powering through the back half of this anime. Out of all the girls I wanted to see Nayuki with Yuuichi the most... expect for her being his cousin. Sorry girl, you're the best, but please lets not do any incest. Definitely a superior character though. I would have liked to see no Shiori and a more in depth Nayuki arc. Next to Makoto passing on and Akiko getting hit, Yuuichi slapping that bunny out of her hands was one of the more sad things.

Overall the series exponentially got worse what with the people living through life threatening situations, the over abundant flashbacks, and the over explanations. I had high hopes episodes 1-5. Episodes 6-10 were excellent tear-jerkers that made me like Makoto much more as a character. 11-15 were very interesting and brought an intense supernatural feel to the series. The rest were more or less garbage. The only thing the series stayed consistent with was its comedy. I must say I did not expect to laugh aloud as much as I did. Whoever was on comedic duty for this show needs a pat on the back for sure. However, comedy does not save a drama. 6/10

Episode 16:

I'm sure I've cared less for a show on plenty of occasions. But, watching Kanon, I am struggling to remember when. Virtually nothing of interest or import happens in this show. Just a bunch of stupid, ugly-looking girls interacting with a really boring male protagonist on issues that wouldn't make the local newspaper, let alone be worthy of several million yen of stunning animation direction. Oh how I hate you, KyoAni - you and your creeping harem shit that people only like because you throw vulgar amounts of cash at it.

i dont know what it is about these older early 2000's animes but they are like top tier peak for me. i definitely like the older stuff better. im glad i found this anime to watch, also looks like its a remake that was done much better from what i read, so i guess it was a visual novel, then a anime and this is a remake of the anime done right..... well, 1 episode in and i like it alot so far.

Reactions: Zed
i really really like this show. im on episode 13 and i can easily say this show is probably going to easily be one of my alltime favorites.

episode 20:
im gonna call a prediction now, ayu died along time ago before he left. it would make perfect sense- this whole time alot of this stuff is a figment of his imagination from a traumatic event from when he was a kid. lets see - i got 4 episodes left to go, lets see how it pans out.

Edit * finished all 24 episodes
i was close.

Last edited:
Back