Voices of a Distant Star

W

WTX

Voices of a Distant Star
(a.k.a. Hoshi no Koe)

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

A while ago i came over Hoshi no Koe. And after watching it I instantly loved it. Unfortunately there is only this one episode ova which last only 25 minutes. At first i thought i might be a kind of a promo or something for a new serie but I havent heard any of it.

Therefore, has there been released a serie of this OVA, or based on it? Do anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: "Hoshi no Koe - Voices of a Distant Star". Was that all?

It was very good.
Hoshi no Koe was made by only one person, Mr. Shinkai (except for music, voice actresses, singer, and such). He is an excellent storywriter and a great CG creator.
'Beyond the clouds' it's very similar: the director style is the same and the story makes you remember 'Hoshi no Koe'.
I'm not sure i want to see an entire serie by Shinkai; i think he can do his best in movie.

Actually I believe the voice acting in the original version of Hoshi no Koe was done by Shinkai himself and his wife. Then there was another version made with professional voice actors. Honestly, one didn't seem noticeably better than the other to me, but then of course I don't speak Japanese.

Someone also told me that his wife did the music/singing. I'm not sure on the last one though.

And yeah, HnK is not a promo or anything; that's the whole thing and I've not heard anything about ever making more.

For a simple half hour, this was done pretty darn good. The director knew to not overdo the story and do more then he needed. In the end, a simple half hour did this movie lots of justice, although naturally the ending leaves you wanting for more. ^^b

I loved the dialogue, it was very poetic. It did make me wish there was another 23 episodes though.

Watch The Place Promised in Our Early days and Five Centimeters Per Second. He also made those.

It was a while since I last saw Hoshi No Koe so I don't remember it fully. But I sure didn't like it when I saw it. Sure the animation was good, but that was about it. Wasn't much of a story if any...and the characters...that was just an introduction. Never got to know the characters. That was like watching a trailer. There are many great short films, this was not one of them.

Like I said, it was a long time since I saw it so my opinion might have changed by now...though I doubt it considering I thought Byousoku 5 Centimeter was complete rubbish besides the animation and soundtrack and The Place Promised In Our Early Days was just good, not great.

It was a while since I last saw Hoshi No Koe so I don't remember it fully. But I sure didn't like it when I saw it. Sure the animation was good, but that was about it. Wasn't much of a story if any...and the characters...that was just an introduction. Never got to know the characters. That was like watching a trailer. There are many great short films, this was not one of them.

Like I said, it was a long time since I saw it so my opinion might have changed by now...though I doubt it considering I thought Byousoku 5 Centimeter was complete rubbish besides the animation and soundtrack and The Place Promised In Our Early Days was just good, not great.

I thought both of those were better than voices of a distant star, so there's a chance he might like them a lot, too.

Well if he liked Hoshi No Koe I'm sure he'll probably like the other two as well. I just wanted to share my opinion

Well yes its short but good.

He has other works like "The Place Promise in Our Early days" which is also good. Also I plan on getting 5 centimeters per second as soon as its out, another one of his works.

Shinkai does mostly oneshot-type things. From what I remember, his filmography consists of

She and Her Cat
Hoshi no Koe
Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho
Byousoku 5 Centimeter

There may be more, but that's all I remember. He's also does the cinematic sequences for the h-games from minori, which is his "real job" (he's on the clock for), which his above works he can kind of pump out whenever he's done with it.

Bittersweet Fools
Wind
ef

I think there's more h-games, but that's all I remember again.

I've found actually the shorter his works, the better (I liked the first two, the latter not so much). Don't know if that's really a good or bad thing . . .

WoW................I just watched it and I have to say it punched me in the chest.

Animation was very much like Placed Promised, very nice.

Superb Solo Work.

hoshi no koe is rather overrated imo...byousoku and the place promised are way better.

hoshi no koe is rather overrated imo...byousoku and the place promised are way better.

Exact opposite for me. Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho is overrated IMO. Hoshi no Koe is the better one. And I've not seen enough of Byousoku 5 Centimeter to make an opinion.

well,i guess this is just a taste matter.
anyway,the worst thing by Shinkai i've seen is Hoshizoka kiseki...ugh.luckily,it's his only bad work.

uh,i don't know why i thought so.well,then i like all shinkai's works :)

Nice (smile)

I happen to liked this nice short story for some one that did everything by himslef that was (k$@# a@%). His other movies are good too. I'm such a sucker for good love stories. The animation for all of them are top notch and worth the watch. He also did as a short like 4 or 5 minute one included on the Voices of a distant star is "Her and Her Cat" (I think might have to look it up). Any way thats what I think about them everyones taste is diffrent and well observered.

Back