Speed Grapher

v16

Speed Grapher

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

Well, I got the idea to watch it from the Most Underrated Anime thread, and, so far (halfway) it wasn't disappointing at all. Quite good, really, so far.
Your opinions?

For those who don't know, I'd characterize it as a mix of heavily watered down Texhnolyze and darkened Monster, with some of Claymore thrown in. Well, let's say so... If Texhnolyze is fresh dark Guinness from the keg, then Speed Grapher is the cheap beer from the pub next to you. But at least it's beer - while most anime ranges between water and cola (Monster is maybe some good, but soft drink, due to excess of Lawful Goodness). That's the impression it leaves, in short.
No comedy, nothing flowery/kawaii, no fanservice (there is sex [non-pedo], but with more disgusting depiction), somewhat heavy plot. Contains a significant amount of action, but not too much of it. Animation is not great, but good, though intentionally grayed out.

Oh, and don't get turned away by the description, it's very misleading, Speed Grapher isn't about that.
While he does get that mentioned power, his is perhaps the least useful among the tens/hundreds of people with better ones. Basically he can use cameras as guns, and that's it. The rest is "movie magick". It's not like Death Note, and it isn't much about these powers at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think too few people have watched Speed Grapher, I never see anyone discussing it on the forums. It's a sad story in some ways, but touching, too. And, unlike stuff like Berserk, it actually had a good ending.

It was awesome at the beginning such as first 6-7 episodes.I have to say it only got worse after those episodes.Even though its a decent anime,i was let down big time because of the real good first episodes.

Can't say it drops a lot, at least as far as the first 16 go (2/3). It gets more fighting, but otherwise is still good.

Yes, the beginning is the best, but there is no rapid drop like in Wolf's Rain or some others. It only slows down on introducing new material, adds combat (but even the combat is sort of smart), but doesn't change per se.

I thought it was a pretty cool show, even tho I only watched about half of it. I am planning on getting the boxset after it is out.

Hmmm, and I've thought everybody and his dog saw Grapher... Hmm...

"Not talked about" doesn't necessarily correspond with quality IMO (neither with 'good' or 'bad' quality) - for example I don't think FMA is exactly "talked about much"... And vice versa - to me everybody seems to be talking about Naruto or, err, that other anime with dead people society or something (cannot remember its name atm >_>) while both are pretty mediocre...

To me this is an anime that hasn't been on many people's radar. I like the story line. It was different, and interesting.

as always guys, if you see a problem with a synopsis, please let me know and change it accordingly so the information will be accurate.

iirc, that synopsis was written when the series was first coming out, maybe 3 episodes were out, and no one was watching it so i had to put up what i got.

Well, I was referring to both here and on the box.

But let's see... hmm, a few things:
- She's not a goddess at all. The anime explains it in a biopunkish way as a genetic experiment (a far call for me, it's more like magic, but so the plot says). "Goddess" is just how they address her; she has no powers at all, except for her blood being a trigger.
- He's not the only one to get some power, and his is perhaps the least useful of all (a replacement for gun).

I can't give a good replacement right now, I hope someone else can. Just that from the current one it looks too much like a Death Note analog, which it has little in common with.

Well, I just started this series. Seeing a lot of people saying good bad and ugly about it. I hope it will turn out decent:3

Well, I just started this series. Seeing a lot of people saying good bad and ugly about it. I hope it will turn out decent:3

Just don't expect anything oscar-worthy and you can kinda enjoy it. It's one of those anime that is more fun to watch just for the WTF? moments than anything else.

Good idea, well done Bad guys, and Ugly animmation at times.(production value is mixed, cars look like card board boxes in some scenes)

Well, I just finished it and I'm pretty sure that they butchered
the economics at the end of the series. Burning a shit ton of money wouldn't completely crash the economy... it would probably hurt it, but not a world wide failure>.>
Anyways, I pretty much agree with funk. I think if it was done by a studio that knew how to manage its money, it would have been a bit better. Oh wells.

Is Speed Grapher anime worth watching???

I love KAIJI and DEATH NOTE.
As a whole I like the Seinen,Psychological,Thriller,Sci-fi,Gambling and adventure genre.
Does Speed grapher worth watching as I like Death note a lot?
Does it have a great character development,Action and Mystery with a lot of plot twists in it?
Please help me decide!:balloon:

Re: Is Speed Grapher anime worth watching???

Errr, it's not a terrible series, but you'd better not expect anything near as good as Kaiji or DN.

In a word, yes.

In two words, definitely yes.

I really enjoyed it, and the relationship between the two main characters is what really made this show for me. As the above poster says, its not as excellent as some other series, but go into it with an open mind, and it is certainly enjoyable. If you do like it, then one recommendation I made was with Red Garden - another excellent series.

H.

There's a ton of cheese in it, and it has some pretty low production values at times.

But I see you enjoyed Gungrave, Speed Grapher is a lot like the Orgmen part of Gungrave. If you enjoyed that aspect (not the backstory part) of the show, you'll enjoy speed grapher.

-Man gets boner taking pictures of another man having his brains blown out.
-The most stereotypical dancer with the gayest voice possible breaks a little girls arm because she doesn't dance right.
-Totally forgot about best girl "Self Defensing" her way through breaking all cop etiquette.
-Reed Richards is a gay gimp.
-Bob, Saiga's neighbor, is the greatest gay stereotype ever.
-The bad guy in an early to mid-2000's anime with long white hair and glasses? *Gasp*
-I love the Harry Potter style entrance into a secret sex club.
-The design of the sex club is so over the top I can't help but absolutely love it.
-THE GIMPS HAVE SWORDS.

-We force a high school girl to kiss sex perverts to gift them sex pervert powers.
-This is some titillating elevator action hyuk hyuk.
-Kagura's personal driver just sits outside the school all day.
-And apparently drinks Heinekens. What a badass job.
-Weird dude with nose eyepatch.
-"Hey dad, I need a soccer ball. Buy me one!" Hahaha what amazingly awful delivery.
-This jazz music during some sequences straight up reminds me of Cannon action films. I love it.
-Guy literally rolls his cigarettes in money and keeps them in the case to look exactly like a bill. What a badass.
-Kagura walks in on her mom eating out her teacher on her bed. Oh my fucking god hahahaha.
-Jesus Christ this show is Trump's America: The Anime.
-Piano teacher has a cache of disembodied arms in his closet.

-Dude blows people up Dr. Manhattan style by taking pictures of them. That's fucking cool.
-GIMPS WITH MACHINE GUNS.
-Best girl ever. Forces you to fuck her at gunpoint even when you want it cuz she's a dirty nutcase.
-She has the worst hair in anime but Ginza has the best personality. She'd make Revy blush.
-Kagura somehow works as the real, emotional character who doesn't want anything to do with the situation she's in. You actually kind of feel bad for her despite how stupid everything is.

-Kagura should read in better lighting or her eyes will go before Saiga's.
-Oh yeah! The used panty and uniform store!
-"I know better than to carry a loaded camera". Greatest line ever.
-Why is the Chief of Police a midget?
-That was the easiest infiltration into the bad guys mansion I've ever seen.
-Self defense girl is best girl. Jesus this show is stupid.
-HE BROUGHT A PARACHUTE? WHERE DOES A PHOTOGRAPHER GET A PARACHUTE?
-Why do Saiga and Kagura not question that they're fighting a man in a fucking GIMP suit?
-The death of the GIMP dude was actually kind of badass and smart.

This show is pretty much X-Men about sex perverts. And I love it. If you go into it actually thinking you're going to watch something with an intelligent story or some modicum of narrative integrity I think you're watching it for the wrong reason. This is such a level of schlock that so few anime are able to manage, a Cannon movie in the guise of a psychological action/thriller. It's so over-the-top in its portrayals of sex, wealth, power, violence, and even the characters and world that I can't look at it like other people as some mature, serious anime. It's Hellsing or Jojo levels of stupid and all the more entertaining for it. The animation is pretty cheap and the lack of decent music is a detractor, sure, but I was pretty much glued to my seat watching these four episodes, laughing my ass off and enjoying nearly every second. Totally an underrated gem, most likely because a lot of people were expecting or watching it with a more critical mindset than I give it.

And it's totally not like Gungrave's Orgmen part. That was out-of-place, boring, and really not all that fun. This starts weird and gets progressively weirder and relishes in the oddity.

Back