Now 'hiring', manga chapter/vol updaters ^_^

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
We're looking to get a bigger team of volunteers onboard to help update chapter/vol counts for ongoing manga, faster and with better coverage. The ideal team size would be at least 15-20 people, organized into groups/projects to ensure the best coverage.

Check out the mod expectations to give you an idea of ideal candidates:

Moderator expectations

1. Keeps up to date on not just titles the moderator is personally reading. Chapter/vol moderators help ensure that everyone on the site can update their lists, so the job is uber important, and it's uber important that all series are treated equally.

2. Has ample, ongoing free time. If someone has a few weeks of downtime at the moment or sporadic periods off and on, this isn't the right position. Of all tasks on the site, users expect to be able to update their lists the fastest. It's critical that we have a highly active, large team that can update entries as quickly as possible. Taking a break once in awhile (super hard finals, you're on vacation, etc) is totally fine - but that should be the edge case, not the norm.

3. Is willing to participate in groups that will be formed to ensure maximum coverage (not sure what these will be yet, but as an example, there may be a small group of people who check [site x] in the morning, and a small group that checks [site y] in the evening)

4. Is highly active and responsive in the 'manga errors' thread. If the team happens to miss something, users post about it in that thread. It's important that we get these posts taken care of as quickly as possible. All chapter/vol moderators are expected to read/respond/participate in this thread any time there is a new post (for example, by turning on email notifications)

5. Is highly active and responds to each moderator thread. This parallels the character forum section, which has thrived due to this rule and understanding amongst all mods. In the mod section, we discuss issues, change guidelines when needed, make up new rules, call out titles that we think might be broken and need to fix, and generally give advice to each other. Also, if there are any breaking issues like a bug in the form or something important that we need to track down, it's posted in the moderator section. All episode moderators need to reply to any new thread that happens in the mod section, or any important posts that require discussion/feedback :)

6. Is not a brand new member of the site. While this is a hard rule to have, it's important, as chapter/vol moderators have a lot of power with the moderator form and it can affect people's lists. We'd like a team of trustworthy folks that are dedicated to the site for this role, and unfortunately the only way we can judge 'trustworthyness' over the internetz is by looking at join date, active role in the community, etc.

The above might sound intimidating, but it's a tried and true set of qualifications that's working well for the active, thriving character moderator team. Our goal is to make sure you have good quality info/features, so we hold the moderators to that same level of quality, and that's why the level of participation is mandatory. So that the other mods can feel supported and so you can have the same sort of good experience, any moderators who go AWOL (don't respond in the mod section, never reply to the manga errors thread, are generally out of the limelight without it being a vacation/whatever) will be removed after period of time. However, the door is open to re-become a moderator later on :)

Interested? If so, and you fit all of the above qualifications:

1. please reply to this thread (do NOT send me a PM, just reply here).

2. Make sure you read this thread fully and entirely, first. The test is sort of a one shot deal - most or all of the answers need to be correct, or we will need to move on to other moderator candidates (as the goal is to get as many people trained in as short of a time as possible). It looks long, but everything in there is very important!

3. I'll send potential candidates a PM with the test questions.

Thanks for your help, and for helping AP be awesome ^_^

~your fearless leader, sothis

If I become a moderator for the anime episodes position, and it's not too time consuming; I would be up for helping on the manga section, as well.

I would like to help out as a manga updater. I haven't read many mangas lately but that doesn't mean I'm not willing to invest my time to help to keep the manga database up to date.

i should probably mention a few other useful bits for the manga updaters, as well -

1) odds are the manga position will be a little more time intensive than the anime one, solely based on how many ongoing manga there are versus how many ongoing anime.

2) the best candidates for manga mods are people who read and are familiar with manga - specifically because there's a lot of nuances to manga that can be confusing for people that aren't familiar with it (what a 'one shot' is, how webcomics work, how vols/chapters work, etc). if you are a newbie with manga or only read it once in awhile the anime position might be a better fit

3) the goal is that as many of the manga ch/vol mods become full mods eventually - but step 1 is being a ch/vol mod. ^_^ the goal being eventually there would be more people trained who could add manga or update completed manga. this is because the manga database is considerably newer than the anime database, and we're still missing a ton of series. so ideally if you take this mod role, you'd be interested in eventually getting more power :)

Well, after pondering for a while, if seems that I'll be more helpful on the Manga section. Not because I'm more of a manga person than an anime one (although I'm fine with either), but because it seems that the Manga section needs more people, and a simple comparison between the two threads show that there are more people interested in the anime position.

Anyways, just put me where I'll be more useful if you need me.

Always interested in gaining more power, but for justice... and stuff. I fare better with keeping up with manga than with anime and I always stop by here a few times a day.

I am interested in helping out. Way too much spare time atm, and that doesn't look to change any time soon. Reading manga almost everyday and this will also introduce me to more series. Also applied for anime, but I'd rather help here.
New forum account, but been a member of the site for awhile.

Hey , i would like to lend a hand ^^ . Have been a member for an year or so , not very active due to some circumstances , but now i am back , with a lot of spare time . I read manga every day and would be happy to help . Anyways , call me if you need me ^^

I'm interested in helping :drool: .I check Mangaupdates at leat once a day and I already "worked" in a anime/manga news site so I have an ideia of the responsility needed

I am interested in the position...i check the forums once in a while but the recommendations and anime/manga pages alot... been here for a while now and i also used to write manga descriptions before cassie became a mod.. XD
i have lots of free time then before so feel free to utilize me..lol

Back