Kannazuki no Miko

Be mindful of the spoilers there mentar, not everyone has seen the show yet and spoiling some of the best moments sucks in the worst way.
Spoiler tags added.

I agree with most of your points though. Except for Souma and him not having "weaknesses". His internal conflict was much odder and had a lot less screen time that those of the girls', but it was there. On one hand he
wanted to kill Himeko, on the other hand he coulnd't. Add to that the struggle that he had to go through to pick between the girl he loves and his brother who pretty much gave his life for him. Then comes the fact that he has to choose between his want to protect Himeko and his own humanity. In the end, he appeared as if he was actually afraid to take a step back and be selfish - for he was afraid of what would happen if he actually let his emotions loose after keeping them inside for such a long time. In a way, it's a perfect "warrior vs human" drama - he is afraid of his humane self so he hides behind "I'll protect Himeko" mantra to the very end. I honestly hoped that in the end, we'd see more of his humane side, but apparently the show decided to focus on the girls only and show him as an unemotional doll. A shame. He had a lot of potential.

Lucky said:
[...]Except for Souma and him not having "weaknesses". His internal conflict was much odder and had a lot less screen time that those of the girls', but it was there. On one hand he
wanted to kill Himeko, on the other hand he coulnd't. Add to that the struggle that he had to go through to pick between the girl he loves and his brother who pretty much gave his life for him.

I think I see your point, but I didn't see any real conflict in the anime:

The only times when something inside him told him to kill Himeko were ep1 and ep11, while he was under "remote control" both times. Whenever he was "awake" there was no such thing as a conflict - he did NOT want to kill Himeko, just the opposite.

That's exactly why he always felt very unidimensional to me. His perogative "protect Himeko at all costs" _never_ wavered. He was never forced to think "what do I have to do to protect her", because this was always obvious. He was never wondering "is protecting her more important than xxx", because the answer was always YES. No matter what. His primary objective decided every single issue for him, therefore it somehow felt that fate led him by a leash, not that he decided anything on his own.

You also wrote:

Then comes the fact that he has to choose between his want to protect Himeko and his own humanity. In the end, he appeared as if he was actually afraid to take a step back and be selfish - for he was afraid of what would happen if he actually let his emotions loose after keeping them inside for such a long time. In a way, it's a perfect "warrior vs human" drama - he is afraid of his humane self so he hides behind "I'll protect Himeko" mantra to the very end. I honestly hoped that in the end, we'd see more of his humane side, but apparently the show decided to focus on the girls only and show him as an unemotional doll. A shame. He had a lot of potential.

You see, if the anime had fleshed out anything like this, I'd have been a much happier camper. However, I honestly didn't see any conflict in him like that. He stayed true to his mantra till the end, and seemingly genuinely without regrets, no matter what bitter cards fate handed to him. Noble, nice, great ... but not interesting to me.

Chikane on the other hand had much more issues to work through. A much bigger turmoil due to her situation. She also had a mantra from the beginning till the end of the anime which was "for Himeko's sake", but she had to agonize over what this would mean. And what she herself could bear in the process. The answers were not clear, and she wasn't remotely as perfect as Souma. She made decisions - good ones and bad ones - and it was interesting to see her learn and adapt (or fail to do that).

Souma could have been more, and he SHOULD have been more, but he wasn't... unfortunately.

All with a huge IMHO disclaimer, obviously. :ramen:

Seriously guys i read your posts but quite honestly i don't care to waste anymore time discussing this series lol. The one thing i will comment on though is

Mentar said:
You're comparing a 40+ episode epic with a 12-episode half-season anime here, you're aware of that, right? Not very fair, wouldn't you agree? :)

Plenty fair if you ask me. The producers shouldn't have crammed it all into 12 episodes if it needed more (which it probably did). I've seen some great 12 episode animes and in the same token i've seen some awful 24+ episode animes (gonna use that number because that's typically where most normal series finish up and where most longer ones end story arcs).

I disliked the series, you guys liked it; let's agree to disagree at this point because neither side is going to budge heh. If it'll make you feel any better about the time you wasted responding to me, i'll be more than happy to delete my posts minus the one asking God for my 5 hours back (because honestly i still do want these back lol). Oh and for the record, i never said the series was bad, sucked, or whatnot; just that the characters as a whole ruined the series for me heh.

Meeeh. I wasn't trying to convince you or anything, everyone is entitled to his own opinion. Just discussing aspects of an anime during and after it's aired is usually interesting to me :)

Peace on the boards and merry christmas ^_^

Actually I agree with you on the point that Chikane's confict was much better portraited then Souma's, and in the end, I really got the feeling that producers were simply afraid of trying to insert a third complex character in fear of their own ability to maintain the plot. Souma woulnd't have been hard to make into what I described, in fact there were several indications that he was headed that way, and in the end, he could have had a dialogue pretty similar in length and content to that of Chikane's without much of a plot alteration, easily becoming almost on par with Chikane. Personally, that aspect really disappointed me, but then again, Chikane's long dialogue was just too good for those feelings to linger.

In the end, it was the producer's and story writer's choice, and we can only regret that they didn't decide to delve deeper into that particular character.

I just finishe dthis show and..maen..I loved it..i LOVED IT. There were some minor things

I dunno...mixing this genre with mecha sorta feels like mixing Whisky with Cognac. Two great liquors, if had seperatly and i don't even wanna thing about how a w-c blend woudl taste like. It can be done tho, ohh yeah it can. But the whole mecha just feels out of place in this show, it isn't developed. I would've preffered something more along the lines os X/1999 where everyone's got an inherent power and fights that way.

But maen..I almost wept like a child during the last episode...beautiful. Heck, the whole relationship issues, character interracation generally in the show was just down my alley in terms of liking. I didn't think I'd find something remotely similar to Yami to boushi to hon no tabibito in a while

*wipes his red and puffy eyes* (well..not really no..but almost :p )

The premise is solid and the animation is quite good but, everything else, such as the pacing, flow of the story and characters, it is so horrible that it should be made illegal.

O.O I've only watched on episode, and I'm somewhat bewildered. xD It started out sweet and idyllic... And then all those panty shots seconds later threw me for a loop. What kind of show am I watching?

Chikane and Himeko's relationship really confuses me.
And during the whole doosmday sequence I was just like, "What?"

And then that kid Souma turns into a transformer...
I'm completely lost. I liked the ending song though. Kotoko's awesome.

Episode 1:

LOL. This was like Maria-sama + Action + Mecha + Panty Shots, if that even makes any sense. :laugh:

I don't really know what to make of the series so far. It looks interesting, but damn, the first episode was too messy, fast-paced and much of a mixed bag. Don't worry Risika, I'm about as dumbfounded as you right now.

--

Episode 2:

Not too impressed. Execution is poor and there is a lot of cheese to eat away from.

At least now I know what the heck is this about, and it's not too bad anyways.

--

Episode 3:

Bah, this is corny and monster-of-the-week-ish, I was expecting a way better mix of genres.
Oh well, I guess you can't be asking for a second Escaflowne...

Last edited:
Episode 1:

Wow, this anime just sort of jumps in...

'Okay, let's have a brief intro,
Now, our main characters meet,
They become best of friends.

Here is our knight in shining armor,
He likes one of the Heroines,
But oh wait he is one of the bad guys!

Queue the mecha,
Dastardly betrayal! Our Knight is really a good guy,
And now the kiss while our Knight is distracted...'

This has to be one of the quickest beginnings to an anime that I've come across so far...
Hopefully the story fleshes out more as it goes on. Right now it seems like this could turn into a real mess.

episode 2:

What the hell? The show explained some stuff, but really it seems like the director has ADHD, shit is constantly happening without any time to really digest what we learned. It actually looks like it could turn out to be pretty generic, but lets see if they do anything interesting with this premise.

Yeah, it is generic. Episode 4 showed some interesting traits,

such as domestic violence on Himeko during her childhood,

but other than that everything is pretty meh. So far, at least.

---

Episode 5:

Big Bro makes no sense:

-I wanted you to live a warm, peaceful life... That's why I left you!
(I was living like that until you and the others arrived, though...)
-I WOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT IF I KNEW IT WOULD TURN OUT LIKE THIS!!!

Lolroflwtfwhat? Mind explaining?

Not a big fan of this show, but I guess it works as average entertainment. Episodes do not feel too long, after all.

Last edited:
Episode 3: This episode seemed like a real mishmash of stuff, almost like three things that didn't really fit together. First there is a school life story then they have mystical priestess time and then it's Mech battle time. The problem is the show is weaving these together very well, they just seem drift from one thing to another. The mechs kind of remind me of Aquarion another show I didn't particularly like.

Episode 4:
Okay I felt like the domestic violence stuff kind of came out of left field and I'm wondering is it going to actually serve a purpose or was it just kind of thrown in there like everything else seems to be.
So far this shown has tried to do too many things and as a result it isn't doing anything right. Everything seems a little too corny and generic. It's watchable but just barely.

^ Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Also, the 'sparkling' sounds for the mecha are so cheesy that I'm almost expecting the characters to get on a duel of throwing Camembert at each other.

Anyways, just watched episode 6, so I guess I'm done for the day. =P I wouldn't say it has been a waste of time, but really, as I said before, as a mix of very different genres this doesn't hold a candle to Escaflowne. Nor is it actually good without comparing it to anything.

But the ending....!

That is all. :P

The ending is something to look foward to? I find it hard to imagine this show is going to pull out an awesome ending, but I guess a miracle could happen.

Just finished episode 5 and 6, I don't really want to keep repeating myself so if you want to know what I thought just read my and Linkswords' previous posts.

Okay done for today, I'll finish tomorrow.

Link and Greg since we are going to finish this group tomorrow, what do you guys think about starting LOLH on Wednesday instead of waiting until next Monday?

But the ending....!

That is all. :P

Well Fire, if you say so, I'll look forward to it... Doubtfully, though. =P

Link and Greg since we are going to finish this group tomorrow, what do you guys think about starting LOLH on Wednesday instead of waiting until next Monday?

Hmm, in my case, I'd rather not. I have a Maths exam coming up on Friday that requires some good attention, so starting the Buddy Group on Wednesday would really be pushing it.

Any chance to begin on Friday? From that day onwards I'm all free. :banana:

Well Fire, if you say so, I'll look forward to it... Doubtfully, though. =P

Hmm, in my case, I'd rather not. I have a Maths exam coming up on Friday that requires some good attention, so starting the Buddy Group on Wednesday would really be pushing it.

Any chance to begin on Friday? From that day onwards I'm all free. :banana:

Sure, we can watch it this weekend. :smile:

Well, it's no secret that to me, Kannazuki no Miko is probably the best bad anime ever. I mean, this show is wrong on many levels, but it's not sitting in my top 5 for no reasons. Let's just leave it at that for now... I just hope that you all like the last couple of episodes half as much as I did. ;)

Back