Selector Infected WIXOSS

Ah yes this is one of the shows I have hype for.Looking at the PVs it seems like it will be psychological and just that it is a survival game it made me hyped even more.Expectations are high for this hopefully I'm not wrong.:crying:

I'm not sure what to expect of this. On the surface it sounds like it could be good, but then again I'm getting Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou vibes from it, and considering how that show turned out (not horrible, but very mediocre) it's not a good thing.

I need to see this, because the last part of the name looks like someone with fat fingers hit caps lock, and smacked his hand down on the keyboard.

The name is pretty odd, but after I watched the PV this does look pretty amazing I might add this to my watch list, but i'll wait for the first episode.

That was a really boring episode.

Episode 1:
Very slow build-up to begin with here and it was just sort of dull with sluggish pacing. The main character has a clueless air-headed feel to her and personality wise she's sort of flat to me already. Also that attempt at disturbing imagery in the minor dream sequence felt like it was trying too hard to be scary, meh. Oh and the cute nya card thing pissed me off as well.

Most of the episode earnestly was very basic introductory stuff and generic. We had a card battle happen and it was completely dreary and predictable the newbie would end up winning. I feel like due to the circumstances of the rules explained they should have at least tried to nail a more intensive atmosphere on the whole entire wish thing but it failed horribly to really generate any suspense and set an appropriate mood as far as I'm concerned. Not a fan of the lacklustre looking CG and the action wasn't exactly what I'd call great during it.

On the character designs I dislike those greatly too, I get they're probably going for a dissonant resonance later for contrast but it doesn't change the fact they look too cute and bland for my tastes. The other girl didn't leave much of an impression either besides the fact she's desperate to achieve her goal so I hardly have anything to say about that.

I get mediocre vibes from this and the deep gut feeling they'll try to get all super serious later but do a hack job with it, pretty lame way to start.

Last edited:
Episode 1:

For most of the episode I just wanted the main character to say "my avatar is clearly retarded, want to trade?"

A dull generic first episode that doesn't leave me with much excitement for this one. I just hope it doesn't get worse for here.

This episode was as basic and generic as they come, which might have been tolerable if any of the characters showed a shred of charisma. So far grandma is pretty much the only character with a little bit of personality and she's just going to be a bit player. The main character is dull as dishwater. A plain Jane clueless girl that show would have to work really hard to actually develop into anything unique.

The game itself also sucks. The card design sucks, but the episode did nothing to nail down the rules of the game either. The little bit we saw had some hazy, not very well defined rules and I'm going to be really annoyed if that continues. If you're going to make an anime based on a game then at least give it a clear set of fucking rules. The show can clear this up later, but this was the time to give the game a personality and this episode failed to do that.

They also didn't make it clear what the selectors are supposed to be trying to accomplish, they left it pretty vague. The only thing I know for sure is they can't lose three times. I'm guessing there is going to be some kind of twist with whole wish business and it's going to have to do with the edgy attempt at violent imagery in main character's dream. That part of the episode stuck out like a sore thumb and was clearly a sad attempt to grab attention.

So yeah, not an inspiring start. Everything was pretty boring and even the animation wasn't too great, especially the silly looking CG.

Episode 1
I'm not sure what this show is trying to convey in the beginning. It's very unclear and jumbled in vagary in an attempt to sound poetic but I really got no impact or anticipation from it at all. I'm wondering why I should care about any "wish" or the line "even if it means hurting myself" because we have nothing to go on. I don't know why I should care about the character saying that or even why she's saying it or in what context it exists.

They should have introduced the game of WIXOSS first.

And what the hell was that speech about a pillar and cities disappearing because it's allegorical to a game of Tetris?

The characters aren't bad, and I like that Ryuka catches on quickly to certain things like being the only one who can hear the talking card. Though why she just shuts it in a drawer is strange, since I would imagine she'd be curious as to why a frigging card is ALIVE.

It wasn't a bad overall first episode. I'm going to keep watching to see how it turns out.

I just really hope this doesn't turn into a game where having the strongest will power is the only thing that matters. If this anime is going to be interesting at all then it needs to clearly define the rules and stakes of the game next episode. None of this random leveling up bullshit or taking two turns in a row because "Oh god, she's strong!"

I agree with that. I'm not about to overlook certain actions in this show being explained off as Tama being a prodigal LRIG with a unique talent for being awesome. If it's going to get by it needs to firmly establish the game rules and have Tama abide by them.

But, as you said, Ryuka is an airhead and I doubt she'd be a formidable opponent in any way. But of course, the only course of action I can see is that she bullshits her way through to victories like she almost did in this episode. She understands nothing about the game and is able to take the upper-hand because Tama is apparently overpowered and she lucks out when she chooses the right card to play.

If they're going to build the drama on Ryuka taking gambles when she doesn't really understand what she's doing, I'm going to lose interest fast. If there's development to be had it's in her growing to learn and practice the game.

The first episode gave me the same impression as the PV: it tries too hard to be edgy. The cryptical statements, the nightmare-like scenes seemingly out of nowhere, all the visual cues, the sound effects... heck, some of the OST, like when the protagonist realizes only she can hear the card's voice, reminded me of this, except without the actually dark story to back it up. I don't mind edgy at all but I think this show takes it a tad too far, since it doesn't really have what I just said - so far.

And yet, at the same time its presentation is pretty generic, plus it doesn't seem a show that will actually take the plunge and get some truly high stakes on the table. Ruko is introduced into this whole exposition about becoming "Eternal Girl" very suddenly and unceremoniously and that takes much of the potential impact away from this card battle world. The "battle" itself, or the pretense of one, was fairly underwhelming as well, just as is how easily Ruko is accepting all these supernatural things. Also, a battle gets nullified if anyone interferes from the outside? Sounds pretty lame to me, most serious situations can be avoided that way. The end of the episode also has no hook whatsoever, which I'd argue is a very important aspect for a series like this in its premiere. I mean, if I didn't have an intention of finishing it from the start I probably wouldn't give ep 2 the time of the day.

Animation-wise, I do enjoy the grim-ish color palette so it's not without merit, but I'd agree the character designs are a tad too generic for the constrast they're going for to truly work.

Characters and dialogue are absolutely meh thus far.

Overall it wasn't neither bad nor good, but if I had to pick one of those I'd go with the former. If they want to go down a more serious route in the future I imagine they'll make it so people die when they get three losses or something, but then again I don't think this show will have the balls to kill off characters from the main girl group that's just being formed at the moment.

Bottom line: Meh.

I didn't think of that, but you're right, it seems really lazy for this episode to not end with some hook for the next episode. It doesn't matter for us, but it would for more casual viewers. This episode really lacks energy and excitement, and that bit of muddled card game they played isn't going to draw anyone back in next week.

The previews made it seem like she'd be fighting someone nasty next week, so let's hope she gets her ass knocked around a bit so she's forced to learn this game. She can afford to lose one, she'd still have one more loss that she could lose dramatically after that. Although with the interruption rule, you can be losing all you want as long as the game isn't finished. It does take away an element of tension from matches when they can end at the least distraction.

Ep1

So it is not Cardcaptor Sakura or even Yu Gi Oh(which is what I was guessing it was), but it does capture the protagonist who ends up being a Selector, or whatever.
Honestly it almost had a Gundam Build fighters(which is a fun series, actually) for the way the battle room was created.
Not sure how else you could create a title where you have battle pixies in cards with revealing outfits.
I almost could say this would be fine for the 7-11 year old Shojo market, but there is a devious sequence that foreshadows a fucked up looking Tama, looking like a disintegrating Rei from Eva.
It is obvious the unique character designs were reserved for the card characters not the lead girls. And I am wondering if that is almost on purpose.
I did not expect much, I was actually surprised. Also, not sure I am the demo for this title either.

ep 1

Wasn't bad
and as funky said, card characters designs are main dish.

Battle room made me think of Bakugan battle brawlers for a while. and deck was like duel masters?
not sure been so long since i watched them

Even though episode 1 was generic for what this is, I think it has potential. This first episode was meant to establish plot. I'm sure we'll get to learn the rules as we go.

And now I think I should go finish Rozen Maiden.

ep 1

Wasn't bad
and as funky said, card characters designs are main dish.

Battle room made me think of Bakugan battle brawlers for a while. and deck was like duel masters?
not sure been so long since i watched them

I never saw Duel Masters, But I did partake in a few episodes of Bakugan, and yes, it almost had that type of competition.

I wasn't going to give this a try since it looked really generic and boring, but I ended up starting it just to do the characters. It turned out to be a little better than expected.

Episode 1:
I thought Tama would be grating, but she's actually pretty cute. I like the designs of the card girls, but the humans are all pretty boring. Reminds me a bit too much of KyoAni, and I've never been a fan of theirs. I imagine things will get a whole lot darker later on, but I'm kind of meh about that. I feel like this show could easily become way too dramatic to the point of being obnoxious.

The episode itself was decent, but needed a little spice. I feel like the pacing is pretty good though and the idea behind the whole card game thing isn't too ridiculous or dumb. The battle arena thing was pretty neat. I could really care less for Ruuko though. She was probably the most 'meh' thing about the entire episode, honestly. I got a bit of a laugh when she just threw the card in the desk drawer and went to bed. It would have been fun if Tama came out while she was sleeping and scared the hell out of her. If that's how much sense Ruuko has, I imagine she'll have a lot of trouble later on.

As a side note, I hope grandma doesn't die.

I actually really enjoyed the first episode. I didn't plan on watching this at first, but I decided to jump on board while I'm waiting for some of the other anime this season to start up. I honestly overlooked this anime completely once I found out it was about a card game, since that's never been my thing when it came to anime, but I had no idea it would have some psychological and survival elements. I'm definitely looking forward to watching the rest of this.

I thought Ruuko's LRIG, Tama, was absolutely adorable, but I can see how she could get on somebody's nerves. I already know I'm gonna end up having the unpopular opinion when it comes to her.
From what we saw, the game itself seems interesting enough. I really hope they dedicate some time to explaining the rules and that they actually follow those rules. No "Heart of the Cards", please.

I never saw Duel Masters, But I did partake in a few episodes of Bakugan, and yes, it almost had that type of competition.

Yeah the change in color of world according to the char used insta reminded me, since Baku had same feature. :drinking: And yeah I just happened to see 2-3 ep of DM on CN,and fight was there. SO i think they are similar -Atleast the table

Episode 1
That was a pretty slow episode.
Can't say too much since it's just the first ep but the episode build up was slow to a point were it was starting to get bland in my opinion.The characters are ok so far but not memorable or anything.
Animation wise though,it seems that they are really putting the extra effort there.It was smooth and the style was consistent.The battle was done pretty neat so the animation is good.
Overall the anime isn't really hitting me as I thought it will.I hope the anime will start to get better which I think it will but the ep was meh with me.

Back