Redesign showcase: cross recommendations (anime to manga, and more in the future)

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Since we're only a few weeks away from the v1 launch of Anime-Planet (v4!), I thought I'd start showcasing some of the new things coming your way. While v1 of the redesign is mostly focusing on reskinning the look and feel, we're launching a few new features, and some fundamental changes in how certain sections work (for a better user experience)

First up, cross recommendations!

We've talked about this feature for awhile now, and we plan to launch phase one of the feature on launch. Specifically, you'll now be able to recommend anime with manga.

So if you're like me, and want badly to recommend Blue Gender with the King of Thorn manga, or have been dying to recommend so many good manga (without anime adaptations) to fans of certain anime, you'll be in luck with this new feature!

Start thinking about anime/manga cross recs you'd make now, so we can get a big batch up on launch :) Post launch, we plan to put up cross rec options for other types of content as well if there's interest, such as character recommendations (if you liked this character, you might like these anime or manga, because they have a similar type of main... or, you might like this other character, who's really similar), studio recs (if you like ghibli, you'd like [this anime] because it's ghibli-style), etc.

We'll also showcase these recs in our weekly Crunchyroll columns

T-minus not long till the redesign is out the door!

Awesome
been waiting for manga-anime rec since my start here
it'll help people improve manga database and increase some talk too in forums hopefully

One question though, Will manga rec appear in same part as anime rec? or will two have different columns/parts?

About characters
we can do char<->char for sure
Can we also do char<-> series? and will these rec appear on main page or character page?
Thanks~

looking forward to this a lot

separate for anime/manga recs - char recs won't go up yet but they'd show up on both the anime/manga pages and also char pages

(if you liked this character, you might like these anime or manga, because they have a similar type of main... or, you might like this other character, who's really similar), studio recs (if you like ghibli, you'd like [this anime] because it's ghibli-style), etc.

this prospect excites me a lot. really looking forward to getting creative with this stuff. can't wait to see the new site now lol, keep up the good work!

I've had a number of manga<->anime recs that I wanted to make over the ages, but I don't begin to remember a single one of them now....
I think most of them were situations where an anime does exist for the manga, but I hadn't watched the anime, so couldn't make an anime->anime rec...

Yay! I look forward to seeing the redesign!

I'd really like to see character-related recommendations become available. Those often cross my mind. Though I suppose I should just go ahead and make a normal anime<->anime recommendation in that case. ^_^

Back