The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Tomthe1337

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
Alt title: Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

The BDs are out.

No more eye cancer camrip to suffer through.

Now time to wait for a NA release

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu

I've been waiting for this day. :3

I was waiting until the DVDs came out so I could watch it in a good quality.

... I thought this movie sucked. Am a completely alone in this? Did I miss something?

:laugh: lol. Guess it's me vs. the world again. This is just like when I tell everyone Trigun blows :laugh:

... I thought this movie sucked. Am a completely alone in this? Did I miss something?

Heh even I enjoyed the movie and I'm not really a fan of the franchise. I thought the first season was mediocre and the second season was garbage.

I ended up give the movie a strong 4 out of 5.

What bugs me is the site uses the translation, "Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya". That title sounds really bad. The official translation is "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya" which sounds a lot better to me.

What exactly did yall like about the movie? I thought it was a predictable 3 hour snorefest that may...
...have killed off a character!
Haruhi's sense of time and space is very unique and it seems as if they just make it up as they go... I dunno

Did anyone watch the part after the credits? What was that about?

Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya

okay i couldn't find a thread for this so im asking here.

i was looking at top ranking sci fi shows and movies, and this is at the top of the top.

can you watch this without watching the series or is it completely dependent?

Re: Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya

Must not have looked hard

https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/...sion/80880-suzumiya-haruhi-no-shoushitsu.html

Just so you know there are two series. One that aired in 2006, and another in 2009. The one from 2009 is the same show with more episodes basically. The first fourteen episodes are the same. So you should at least watch the 2006 series, or the first fourteen episodes of the second. If you watch the whole 2009 series beware of the Endless Eight. Just be aware that it is a different experience watching both shows. The original was intentionally aired out of order. The 2009 version switched them into chronological order.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6430&page=25
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10924&page=25

Re: Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya

Watching the series chronologically hurts the experience. It's part of the magic that is Haruhi.

Haruhi 2009 was a fluke that damaged the fanbase pretty badly. 2/3rds of the season was garbage and the episodes were aired chronologically which was like spitting in the face of the fans. It is well regarded as the worst anime of 2009.

Also the US dubbed release started with Chronological order, fans were so pissed off that they added discs to the 2nd-4th releases that had the series in its aired order.

The general consensus is you watch S1 in its AIRED order.
For S2 you watch the 5 new NON-E8 episodes CHRONOLOGICALLY.
For E8 you watch the first, second, and last episode of the arc. The 7th one is optional.

This

You can watch the movie after.

I watched this yesterday (but forgot to comment until today). I enjoyed the TV series a lot, but I hated this. I've almost never liked seeing shows (anime or otherwise) doing the "reality is changed but only one person knows it) thing, and this wasn't one of the exceptions. The fact that it also ruins Nagato as a character, while simultaneously being completely out of character for her, just made it worse. I really wish I'd never watched it, because I liked Nagato a good deal before this movie. Now I can't stand her, so this movie has actually kind of messed with my memories of the TV show. The fact that she had no real motivation except "being a crazy alien" makes it even worse. I think the movie tried to justify it more, but I was too enraged to listen to its lazy, stupid justification for the badly written story. The fact that Kyon doesn't react appropriately (by at least yelling at her instead of helping her) made sure the movie ended on just about the worst note it could at that point.

I was going to see if I could check out the Light Novels so I could get more of the story past the show, but I don't think I'll bother at this point. I want more adventures with most of the cast, but I don't want another second of story with Nagato. Well, this was a downer ending to a franchised I enjoyed.

I only watched Haruhi for the first time a few months ago after hearing non stop praise of it for a literal decade and I was ultimately disappointed. There are many reasons but this is not the place for that. Even after that disappointment I kept hearing about how the movie was universally considered the best part so I thought I should give it a chance anyway. And while it's certainly better than s2... it's still worse than s1 and overall I would give a barely passable grade.

My problems with this movie are three.

1) The movie is simply way too fucking long for no apparent reason. Almost every single scenes should be sped up by like 30% to even reach a decent pacing. There is a worrying amount casual conversations with 3 seconds pauses between each sentence that achieve nothing other than make this movie longer.

2) Kyon is an entirely different character from the series. In the show one of very few character traits was how he keeps his cool and thinks logically even in really fucked up situations. Meanwhile in this movie he spends the enitre first half acting in the exact opposite way. He keeps screaming, he manhandles pretty much the entire cast, acts brashly and in incredibly idiotic ways (like for example right after aggressively approaching Asahina and clearly scaring her he has the genius idea of asking her to show the star shaped mole she has on her breasts)
While someone might say: "oh well it was a really tense situations and his dear Haruhi disappeared! It's human to react in those ways!" I simply cannot accept this because as I said he spent the entire two seasons prior keeping his cool, and even when he discovered multiple times that he was stuck in an ETERNAL TIMELOOP he reacted nothing remotely close to how he did in this movie. And no, just changing a character it's not character development. Kyon didn't develope, he didn't change. The writers changed him. Big difference.

3) The emotional payoff was completely undermined by the structure of the plot itself. 2 hours and 10 minute into the movie we have the most artistic and unique sequence of the movie, in which Kyon quite literally interrogates himself on how he feels about the wacky and uncharacteristic world he lived in and forces himself to admit that he actually liked it and wants it (and his Haruhi&Co) back all with an over the top epic soundtrack playing. This would have been an absolutely stellar scene... if it made any fucking sense. This completely wasted scenes happens THIRTY MINUTES after Kyon already decided to get his world back when pressing the command on the computer to activate the escape program, when said program even told him that there was no guarantee for his safety! The supposed emotional payoff scene even mentions how he already decided to get the world when he actived the program!! So instead of getting emotional and admiring the scened all I could feel was "why the fuck are you trying to convince yourself to do something you... already decided to do and are already actively working towards?"

Other than these HUGE (imo) problems the film from a visuals and direction perspective was well executed and I don't have any problems with those aspects.
4/10 it's... fine. I doubt I will ever watch it again.

Last edited:
I only watched Haruhi for the first time a few months ago after hearing non stop praise of it for a literal decade and I was ultimately disappointed. There are many reasons but this is not the place for that. Even after that disappointment I kept hearing about how the movie was universally considered the best part so I thought I should give it a chance anyway. And while it's certainly better than s2... it's still worse than s1 and overall I would give a barely passable grade.

My problems with this movie are three.

1) The movie is simply way too fucking long for no apparent reason. Almost every single scenes should be sped up by like 30% to even reach a decent pacing. There is a worrying amount casual conversations with 3 seconds pauses between each sentence that achieve nothing other than make this movie longer.

2) Kyon is an entirely different character from the series. In the show one of very few character traits was how he keeps his cool and thinks logically even in really fucked up situations. Meanwhile in this movie he spends the enitre first half acting in the exact opposite way. He keeps screaming, he manhandles pretty much the entire cast, acts brashly and in incredibly idiotic ways (like for example right after aggressively approaching Asahina and clearly scaring her he has the genius idea of asking her to show the star shaped mole she has on her breasts)
While someone might say: "oh well it was a really tense situations and his dear Haruhi disappeared! It's human to react in those ways!" I simply cannot accept this because as I said he spent the entire two seasons prior keeping his cool, and even when he discovered multiple times that he was stuck in an ETERNAL TIMELOOP he reacted nothing remotely close to how he did in this movie. And no, just changing a character it's not character development. Kyon didn't develope, he didn't change. The writers changed him. Big difference.

3) The emotional payoff was completely undermined by the structure of the plot itself. 2 hours and 10 minute into the movie we have the most artistic and unique sequence of the movie, in which Kyon quite literally interrogates himself on how he feels about the wacky and uncharacteristic world he lived in and forces himself to admit that he actually liked it and wants it (and his Haruhi&Co) back all with an over the top epic soundtrack playing. This would have been an absolutely stellar scene... if it made any fucking sense. This completely wasted scenes happens THIRTY MINUTES after Kyon already decided to get his world back when pressing the command on the computer to activate the escape program, when said program even told him that there was no guarantee for his safety! The supposed emotional payoff scene even mentions how he already decided to get the world when he actived the program!! So instead of getting emotional and admiring the scened all I could feel was "why the fuck are you trying to convince yourself to do something you... already decided to do and are already actively working towards?"

Other than these HUGE (imo) problems the film from a visuals and direction perspective was well executed and I don't have any problems with those aspects.
4/10 it's... fine. I doubt I will ever watch it again.
Even a decade ago, back when the hype for this was the strongest I was all idk guys. Maybe shave off like 45 minutes and I would have been down with it too.

Back