Elfen Lied

After watching the 13th ep I am left with but one desier: MORE! GIVE ME MORE!!!!!111oneone

Althou, I must admit, I am a bit glad they ended the series, since very few of the "firever and ever and ever" series end up as good as they start off.

I guess I will have a beer in remenisence about the great anime that was; Elfen Lied.

Good god, what en ending that was! Simply beautiful!

One thing I wonder though... She had one of her horns busted in the fight with Mariko, and you would think this would have some effect on her psychic powers. And indeed, when she is surrounded by the gunmen and they start firing, we only see two vectors spring up, not four. Then she loses her other horn. At the very end of the ep, when the clock starts to move, presumably that's supposed to indicate that she started it with her vectors (I could be wrong, maybe it was just a dramatic coincidence), but it seems like she wouldn't have any vectors left.

Not that that really matters. though. Great show, start to finish. This one will definitely be gracing my shelves when ADV gets it out.

And dreadful, you say that plot development and story are what keep people in, yet you piss and moan because the gore disturbed you a little too much, which would suggest to me that you are still fixated on the gore itself. Otherwise you might have understood it in relation to the plot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mecha, I do understand about the puppy in relationship to the plot and effect on Lucy and you're not the first one to mention it. The point of my moaning was "Why include an element of realism in a show that exagerates things from the beginning to the end?". After all, the creators could have been more inventive. You do remember the later events in Narutaru, don't you? There are planty of ways to apprach the cituation in order to achieve needed effect.

And, yeah, the ending was pretty good.

heh totally agree with mecha abt EL being a beautiful series with a gorgeous ending.

regarding the horns,
Lucy does indeed lose her vector ability when she loses her horns

manga
EL anime is like the first arc of the manga, in the second half, Lucy grows bigger horns and becomes MUCH more powerful

I wonder how many ppl visit 4 chan, but of late 4 chan has a vast number of posts featuring both EL anime and manga

this is something posted at the animesuki forums by vud911

for those still wondering about lucy at the end of ep 13

I think the ending is implying Nyuu came back into their lives (she lost both horns, therefore, would be a normal human being,) The sad melody stopping represents the sad times are are over and clock beginning to move means it is beginning of a new start. But this is just optimistic thinking

notice nyuu as opposed to Lucy

very nice way to describe the ending ^_^

dreadful, my point is that your point is pointless. Just because parts of the show are not 100% true-to-life doesn't mean they have to make everything bizarre and unreal. It's a basic way to start a story: take your world, then change one thing in it, and imagine what things that would change, what events might happen, etc.

It just doesn't make any sense to me at all to object to that one single aspect of it for no other reason than that things like that probably happen in real life. People get shot in real life too, but I don't see you complaining about any of that.

I guess first part of your post makes sense, particularly if you make it a starting point and put child's psyche into account. What is she, 8-9 at the time of events? And I believe children are very impressinable at that age.

I guess I'll just leave it at that, because I don't want to get into a whole new new argument cartoonish vs real like violance and where and how much peoiple get shot.

Holy!....I was planning on getting in the first comments on episode 13, but everyone beat me to it! :mad: (oh well)

Beautiful ending, but slightly inconclusive. What about the project leader guy? He still wants diclonius to wipe out humanity, so what's to stop him now?
Not that I'm complaining about the ending, it's lust that that one part is bugging me a little. And why is it that the "perfect ending" is so rare? I mean "perfect ending" as in similar to the Rurouni Kenshin manga ending:

where Kenshin and Kaoru get married and have a baby and live happily ever after (at least until the Reflection OVA).

I totally agree with alc, and that's why I'm bugged about there once again not being a perfect ending:

alcuin/smokydrag said:
this is something posted at the animesuki forums by vud911

for those still wondering about lucy at the end of ep 13

I think the ending is implying Nyuu came back into their lives (she lost both horns, therefore, would be a normal human being,) The sad melody stopping represents the sad times are are over and clock beginning to move means it is beginning of a new start. But this is just optimistic thinking

notice nyuu as opposed to Lucy

very nice way to describe the ending ^_^

If Nyuu is now a normal human being (which I believe too), then the director could have gotten Kouta and Nyuu together at the end. It just frustrates me that you hardly ever see a perfect ending.

A beautifuly executed story. Only "complaint" would be that the animation could've been better (korean animation company), but that is something which is quite subjective so let's not start a discussion about that.

Regarding the events at the beginning. I dont think it would be that strange for Lucy to go haywire after that incident witht he dog if we consider her situation. A small child, apparantly no parents to speak of, constantly bullied, her 'friend' who she opened up to betrayed her...and the last thing dear to her was brutally slaughtered infront of her eyes. That can cause a psychological impact, quite a strong one. Anyhow, we must also consider that the dioclonus 'species' do have a violent side which must be tamed.

The ending was very well done aswell.

There are indeed some things here left unanswered and there is room for a second season...I somehow dont think they'll make one though...But i'd guess that the manga takes things further (as is quite usual nowadays..). We have the sentence about there being lotsa dicloniuses in 5 years time if nothing was done...Then we have the chief director who says something along the lines of "it has just begun"

Now about the ending

I think Lucy came back...who else could it be really? I wonder how she made it out from that situation though, seing as her second horn was blown away aswell... Another thing which leads me to believe that lucy returns is the big clock, she probably fixed it when noone noticed. Yes, I do say lucy becuase I think Nyuu retracted into the back of her mind. There is no way that Nyuu would be able to fix that clock either (and Kota is obviously quite surprised about it working implyign that it was done very recently)

DistMan said:
Yes, I do say lucy becuase I think Nyuu retracted into the back of her mind.

Now that you mention it, that does make snese, since Nyuu was really there to hide Lucy's personality, but then Lucy's personality came back. But then, Kouta knew Lucy only by the name Nyuu, so I guess Lucy's name would be decided by whichever name she liked better (she would probably like Nyuu better because Lucy is a bit symbolizing of her murderous self).

A second season would definitely be much appreciated, but as Distman said, that probably won't come. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: But one can always pray.

DistMan said:
A beautifuly executed story. Only "complaint" would be that the animation could've been better (korean animation company), but that is something which is quite subjective so let's not start a discussion about that.

Regarding the events at the beginning. I dont think it would be that strange for Lucy to go haywire after that incident witht he dog if we consider her situation. A small child, apparantly no parents to speak of, constantly bullied, her 'friend' who she opened up to betrayed her...and the last thing dear to her was brutally slaughtered infront of her eyes. That can cause a psychological impact, quite a strong one. Anyhow, we must also consider that the dioclonus 'species' do have a violent side which must be tamed.

The ending was very well done aswell.

There are indeed some things here left unanswered and there is room for a second season...I somehow dont think they'll make one though...But i'd guess that the manga takes things further (as is quite usual nowadays..). For instance, Lucy was raped - ergo: somewhere along the road she will bear a child. Then we have the sentence about there being lotsa dicloniuses in 5 years time if nothing was done...Then we have the chief director who says something along the lines of "it has just begun"

Now about the ending

I think Lucy came back...who else could it be really? I wonder how she made it out from that situation though, seing as her second horn was blown away aswell... Another thing which leads me to believe that lucy returns is the big clock, she probably fixed it when noone noticed. Yes, I do say lucy becuase I think Nyuu retracted into the back of her mind. There is no way that Nyuu would be able to fix that clock either (and Kota is obviously quite surprised about it working implyign that it was done very recently)

I agree on alot of you points but what i am afraid of is how that her 2 horns are removed and the fact they left it open for a second season i see some type of lame school setting hehe

Now what episode what she raped in? o just reread so it is in the manga? i was reading 1&2 :# has anyone translated it in full?

I think Dist is talking about that professor guy, but I don't think he actually succeed in doing anything with her. It looked to me like he was still disrobing when... well... you know...

And if you're hoping to read the manga to get the rest of the story, be prepared for a lot of mental anguish. The manga is pretty freakin' lousy so far. Bad art, some cheeseball dialogue ("It doesn't hurt... The wound on my hand, I mean." You'll see what I mean if you read chapter 2), some story points and touches that the anime did so much better...
For example, in the anime, they see Lucy on the beach, she sees Kouta, she hunches over in pain, and she looks back up as Nyuu. In the manga, they just spot Nyuu standing there. And it's not to keep her identity as Lucy a mystery, because just a few pages later they spell it out for you anyway.
I'll be reading it for knowledge of what happens after where the anime leaves off, not for enjoyment. Before I started reading the manga, I hoped that they would just leave the anime as is, since it would be pretty hard to beat or even match what they have now. I was just gonna get the rest of the story from the manga and be happy. But now, having seen the manga, I'm much more receptive to more of the anime.

and Shinji, I think the way they ended it is much better than if they had gone with your "perfect ending". Some things are more powerful if left unsaid, you know?

I think Dist is talking about that professor guy, but I don't think he actually succeed in doing anything with her. It looked to me like he was still disrobing when... well... you know...

Indeed you're correct. I remembered in-correctly.

I hope the manga becomes better later on then as it seem to be quite bad right now. There are liek 7 volumes or something released, so perhaps the quality will increase later on.

...I really do hope that the manga will be able to match the anime in terms of quality.

Amen to that.
And damn, you scared the shit out of me dist, Lucy raped? Pregnant? Giving birth? The Innocent Virginal Lucy? :sweat:

You know it's funny...
Feel remorse and love for a murder (Lucy) is it?

Yeah the father and daughter thing was beautiful, but then again I would call that justice. Simple karma, you get the same done to you as you do to others. The director understood this that's why he was prepared in the end. He would have killed nr. 35 anyway, but he was the cause of her being the way she was, so he also wanted to die. If he didn't he would have shot the guy with the cell phone.

Lucy should have learned that karma lesson when she brought fort that justice on those 4 kids that killed the puppy. Yet she doesn't, she just goes on killing innocent families, just because she doesn't have what they have. She must have though what give those kids the right to kill the dog, same thing goes for her, what give her the right to kill those people. She should have been killed, but they locked her up and did all kinds of things to her, a fate worse then death.

Ah Kouta, another case of bad karma coming back to bite you in the ass. But his was in an extreme way. Lie and break a persons hearth, in other words inflict a great amount of emotional pain on someone, which results in you getting that pain back. Extreme justice? Would you be able to love a person that killed your family? Honestly? Oh wait, you formed this tremendous emotional bond with a person you only spend a couple of days playing with as a child? Oo? Oh wait that worked in Love Hina, why not here. Weak

The only person I liked in this anime that didn't die is Nana. She knows how to bring down the other decno's from their high and might superior status. Take away their vectors and you have a normal human. And if you're wondering, she has gotten her karma punishment already. She became an experiment subject and then she gave out karma punishment to the people that experimented on her and then she got experimented on a little bit more. Nice circle. :/

Answers I'd like:
1. Why does Nana think of the director as her father after she gave him his cursed daughter? (oh wait she got shot in the head or was that not Nana)
2. Why do these decno's have a good and a bad side and why doesn't anybody see this?
3. Why don't male decno's have vectors.
4. Why does the general director kill and experiment on his own kind.
5. Why don't they give the teams better guns, vectors can't block high velocity rounds. Why don't they just use an anti tank gun?
6. Given the above question, why doesn't the Special Forces team have at least 1 sniper with that kind of gun to back them up?
7. Why didn't or couldn't Lucy kill the director in the first ep?

BTW: Denco's don't lose their vectoring ability if you take away their horns, why would they kill babies if it were so easy to make them human?

I kinda like this show because everything bad action is repaid in full, but most people missed that little thing. *sigh* This show could have done without the gore, but it's a nice added effect for those that are not used to it. I mean death is death, if it happens off screen or on screen, if someone blows up in a mecha or gets his or her head cut off, what is the difference? Oh wait if we don't see someone actually dieing we don't mind it. She was right, humans are fools.

<- emotionless bastard

*off to FMA now, only 10+ ep's left to watch*

to answer first 2 questions
if you remember the episode where they actually experiment on dicloni, that's not Nana. Remember, director's daughter is #35 so excluding her and Nana they had at least 33 more. The one who game director the cursed daughter was killed shortly afterwards with an armor piercing bullted by general director's son.
2. WHy Nana thinks of director as her father. Half of it is my assumption and half of it was actually discussed in early-mid, I think as early as ep 04 with the first fight between dicloni. Remember since director was nice to Nana she was able to endure all of those tortures and tests, and I guess hence she thought of him as her father. My assumption is that she was there either since early childhood or even birth and not knowing any close relatives it's somewhat natural for little kind to think of people who are kind (or at least not as cruel as the rest) as close relatives.
Second question, I guess all comes from general director who only see female dicloni as object which he can use and throw away/dispose off and it somewhat seemed like he was forcing his way onto others. Generally people don't see good or things on objects. You know, you get a pair of shoes wear and take care of it while it lasts then throw it away once it breaks/too olod or even no longer useful. Heartless? But that's the way it was.

Don't really know the answer to the rest, though what you say makes perfect sense, if any of the measures were taken you would have missed on a ton of otherwise unnecessary gore :drink:

Answers I'd like:
3. Why don't male decno's have vectors.
Why can only the female mosquitoes bite. Why is the female black widdow a lot larger than the male one..etc...etc. In some cases the fame is the which 'bites'

4. Why does the general director kill and experiment on his own kind.
Why did Dr Mengele experiment on humans although he was one himself? (No, I dont want a debate on WHY he did it...we know that)

5. Why don't they give the teams better guns, vectors can't block high velocity rounds. Why don't they just use an anti tank gun?
He says something along the lines "Is she already able to block bullets" in that sequence with his first "ecounter"... This leads me to believe that their stopping power increases by age. The strength grow as they age. (or/aswell with practice)

6. Given the above question, why doesn't the Special Forces team have at least 1 sniper with that kind of gun to back them up?
Read answer on question 5. Anyhow, It's a good question. A sniper with a high powered rifle would certainly seem to be a most apropriate combatant against a diclo.

7. Why didn't or couldn't Lucy kill the director in the first ep?
Perhaps they had some sort of bond...just like nana called him papa. Or she simply wanted to display her superiority (ref: the red hand on his back)

Anyhow. There is a lot of bad karma going here indeed...

Lucy didn't stop killing becuase once she started, the inherent 'predator instincts' began to consume her. Kouta mentiones that he wouldn't forgive her for what she did against his family, but yes, to fall in love might seem a bit distant..but love works in the most inscrutable ways. The fact that Lucy aparantly felt really really bad about it might've helped here. She mentioned that she endured the tests and trials only to be able to meet and appologize (something along those lines).

You make a valid point with the vectors and the horns. I found that strange aswell. The horns might simply be there to snap up someone else (like a radar sortof)...actually...I think the professor specifically mentions (before he attempts to rape Lucy) that there are some abnormalities in teh frontal part of the brain...(or something like that). and that would also put the question about how she managed to get through that pinch at the end of ep 13 to an end.

About the gun bit, episode 1 Lucy gets shot with a sniper rifle, it penetrates her vectors but the bullet is slowed down so it doesn't actually cause a fatal wound. Their power does grow with age, but it has its limits. Lucy can't break throw the gate in episode 1 is a good example. But hey the teams don't use it so they die, talk about being unprepared.

About the horns bit, the vectors are controlled by a "organ/ set of nerves" in the brain. Nana knows where this is and can deactivate them temporarily. The Horns might simple be there so other diclo's know that there is another diclo in the area, broadcast intensions, etc. Note that Nana didn't notice Lucy at the end and yet Wanta recognized someone familiar.

About Nana and Papa, the thing that makes me think this is that the same test that Nana goes trough, (getting shot at) are the same for the girl that gave the director his dilco child. These 2 don't only look alike they are also in the same room. The age would be about right. Plus Nana also like altering things inside peoples brain. I simply missed that explanation/connection. I guess I'll move to the manga.

aydan said:
About the horns bit, the vectors are controlled by a "organ/ set of nerves" in the brain. Nana knows where this is and can deactivate them temporarily. The Horns might simple be there so other diclo's know that there is another diclo in the area, broadcast intensions, etc. Note that Nana didn't notice Lucy at the end and yet Wanta recognized someone familiar.

See this makes me think that at the gate it was her you can lead in to a second season by her looking human and attending school lol that could be good if she keeps "takin care of biz" or killing people while still having the side story of going to school and all that comes with that hehe Intesting idea on if it is some sort of broadcast but in theory. She kind of hinted that she tried to maybe mask her single when attacking the directors daughter?

Either way for a short series this was damn spiffy i liked it just as much as gantz

Regarding the SAT team's weapons

notice the diffences in the objective of Kurama and the "old man". Kurama wants to kill Lucy at any cost, while the old man wants her alive in order to procreate. As far as he is concerned, everything exept Lucy is cannon fodder, including his own son (the professor guy), everyone at the facility and the "slipelts" like nana which cannot reproduce. This objective seems to be shared by everone at the facility, note the "cell phone guy" who says "now we can capture lucy" at the end of the #35 vs Lucy fight, wheras he pulls a gun on Nana and tries to kill her, because they have no more use for her

Back