'Times watched' is launching very soon - server might be laggy today (read why!)

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Because we're launching 'times watched' extremely soon, I've started doing some housecleaning with the movie entries on the site. For the first few years the site existed, we didn't add 'episodes' to movies (because a movie is just a movie)

Over time we started setting episodes to 1 for movies, but a lot of the old ones were never updated. Especially with how the user interface works for times watched, it's going to be necessary to finally update all of the old movie entries to have "1 episode"

The problem is, when we change a duration or an episode count for a COMPLETED anime, the server recalculates every single 'life on anime' and episode count values for every user that's marked the anime as 'watched' (not to mention the badges recalculate, etc). When you have 20,000 users that have marked something as watched, it turns into a big strain on the server.

Lots of the old movies are super popular (pokemon, blood the last vampire, ghibli, etc) and thus have a zillion 'watched' statuses. So, you may have already noticed over the last 24 hours that the site was laggy, and that's why. I'm about halfway done and am trying to keep the really big anime to times of day when less people are on the site, but you still will probably notice some bouts of lag throughout the next day.

thanks for your patience!

Thanks for all the hard work you have been putting in ^__^
people can deal with some lag, im sure of that, as they say 'Nothing is Free' (or better put, Nothing worth having comes easy) ^__^

Besides, i have currently not suffered any lag anyway but keep up the good work and don't forget to take it easy here and there as well :)
Hard work always deserves a break ;)

@Bestanimeserie:
Doubt the forum will be affected by this, normally site related stuff don't interfere with the forum (i think they are stored separately) but in the past it isn't this case (unless it's forum related as well of course). So i wouldn't worry to much about forum troubles :)
But even if it did, i would doubt it would be anything we couldn't deal with for a short time :)

It would affect the forum too - basically you might happen to be browsing the site during a 1-5 minute bout of lag, if i happen to be updating one of the big entries. It wouldn't be huge lag, but it may occur.

Basically I just wanted to give a heads up in case people notice the site being slow and were wondeirng why - it's possible that most of you won't notice anything :)

also, fun fact:

any time we update a duration or episode count, the 'popular' triggers happen too (no easy way around this). which is why sometimes the 'popular today' will have a huge number of 'updates' for an old series.

it'll be especially amusing to view throughout today :)
Popular Anime - Today | Anime-Planet

(you can see some of the big movies have been updated already)

Back