Aquarion

Aydan

Sousei no Aquarion
(a.k.a. Aquarion)

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

Well, well, what to make of this anime. It sure is pretty, the animated is good and the CG is nice. Story/Plot seems interesting for now. The mechas look good, I especially like the jet designs, the aerial fights are also good. The characters design is good, ranging from "ok" to "great". I have 2 little problems though, I don't like the main character type. I don't like some of the transformation things.
The first transformation was good, teamwork, you see people putting effort into what they are doing. The second transformation was very disappointing, it's the "I'll become god and destroy the enemy like it is nothing and on my first try no less" thing. Oh let's not forget the trademark scream to start it all off. A 14 year old girl getting a sexual rise because of the transformation? -_-'' Maybe it will appeal to adolescent boys but I hate those kind of obvious fan service moments.
I'm not able to comment on the music, not yet anyway. The OP should be good.

Besides certain things that annoy me this is visually a very good show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kawamori for the win :love: Mechas and CG is great in this show. What I really loved was the first scene with the magician, something original funny hehe.

I agree with you Aydan, expecially that orgasm could be less intense. If I wanted fanservice I could look at Futakoi alternative or This is my master ^^;

I don't think the girl is actually 14 though. From what I gather her and the main character are reincarnations of the heroes from 12,000 years ago(At least I think that's how long ago they said)

Anyway, I liked the show. It gives off a feel of a cross between Eva and sentai. I agree that the visuals are top notch and the 3d was great. Definately one of the beter shows this season.

Interesting start to the story line too - even tho its a little "classic" ^_^

Hope it evolves well.

Agreed @ Aydan.

On a side notice: what's with the Transformers trend recently? Gundam SEED Destiny, Kannazuki no Miko, Sousei no Aquarion... they all have combining/splittable mechas.

Does anyone else think that this show's being 'bad' on purpose? At first, when Silvia's reaction to the unification happened, I laughed because it was so over-the-top gratuitous. But after watching a second episode and laughing even more (especially Silvia's obsession with her brother, the Ubiquitous Bishounen That Must Act As The Hero's Rival...good god, he not only has long hair but also admires roses, complains about 'unsightly' unification and fights by blowing kisses) I can't believe that this degree of absurdity was not actually intended by the creators for humor. (Silvia: "Next week, I will unify with Brother again!")

I'm not really into mecha, but I think this show is a hilarious parody. Long live the cheesiness! :laugh:

(Alright, I do have to admit that even if this show were being totally serious I'd still watch it because the animation is just too good. I tend to care about visuals much more than story quality.)

I think the show IS attempting to be serious. The pacing is good and I like most of the character designs. Especially the girl in the wheelchair.

all i could say about this is that i like the music... and their umm mecha transformation scenes really really turn me away from this...

though the music keeps me around... sad...

dragonlord said:
all i could say about this is that i like the music... and their umm mecha transformation scenes really really turn me away from this...

though the music keeps me around... sad...

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the "power rangers" type mecha's either. Almost too childish. I'm not a fan of the whole unity thing either, makes everyone too dependant. But don't let this fool you. I like this series alot. Plot and character design is fantastic.

I just ran across the OP song on my play list and was wondering how this show is holding up. So how is it holding up?

Did Anime Kingdom, and AonE stop this? Did it get licensed already? I haven't seen an episode past 10. Don't wanna fall behind.

xomikronx said:
Did Anime Kingdom, and AonE stop this? Did it get licensed already? I haven't seen an episode past 10. Don't wanna fall behind.

This was licensed before it ever aired. I remember Bandai showing a promo at Fanime. They want to franchise it if memory serves.

Re: Sousei no Aquarion

Soooo...... anyone willing to give a spoiler-free assesment of the Story So Far? It's at the halfway point, and I'm wondering whether SnA is a show worth picking up. Specifically, I'm wondering if the setting/plot makes sense and how the characters are. I don't think I can take another GSD right about now...

Also, is it a more comedic show than your average mecha fare, or is it aimed at kiddies? The various orgasm references I keep on hearing seem to cast doubt on the latter, but you just never know with those wacky Japs....

id actually really appreciate a description for this (and you'd get points towards winning a dvd :))... i had a submission awhile back but the descrip was basically taken from anidb with a few words changed... so if i get a new one i could put up the entry :) (i have screens, though a different main image candidate would be nice)

well I recently Watch this Entire Series and even thought it wasn't too bad, Its not an Anime i really would recommend anyone buying it, i thought it was poorly executed i mean those kids looked like they were about to have an orgasm every time they used the Mecha's.

It's the kind of Anime thats good to watch if its on tv or borrow the dvd's from a friend but i personally wouldn't bother spending money on it. The way I see it theres no point in wasting time on mediocre anime when there are so many great tittles out there.

Back