Fruits Basket

Re: Fruits Basket's Ending...

Damm being Furuba being compared to dark anime now....

Oh gawd it's no longer the warm and fuzzy anime I thought it was anymore :crying:

Could this be a gender issue? Im a dude and purple is a dude.

Well, Furuba is definitely darker than the usual shoujo stuff out there (anime, NOT manga). If you're used to conventional shoujo fluff, Furuba can appear dark. It's definitely not dark in my books though. Dark is reserved for the likes of Jin-Roh, Perfect Blue, Divergence Eve, Kyuuketsuki Miyu, Phantom, Narutaru, and the like. Compared to those, Furuba is watching Doraemon and Jigglypuff going for a stroll in a county fair (which, to be honest, some of Furuba is that damned fluffy).

Princess Tutu is a much better example of shoujo "fluffiness" with dark(er) overtones.

The ending wasn't bad at all. As far as I was concerned
it was always about the individual life experiences more than the romance. The show, whilst insinuating romance, never played much on it, so I didn't expect it to suddenly go that way. Instead, I appreciated the dark and disturbed turmoil Kyo was going through being used as the vehicle for the ending. His story was definitely the best.

I don't think it was the most satisfying ending in the world, since it left a couple of things in the air, but then so do a lot of anime e.g. FMA. This is especially permissible when you consider the manga wasn't even finished then. The series did a great job, and whilst very episodic and somewhat slice-of-life at times, I felt I got to watch some great characters learn and develop. All that's left to do is to call for a second and third series.

By the way, is Akito the dragon of the zodiac then? I don't think they ever explained. I was constantly waiting for a dragon. There is a dragon... isn't there? Or am I making it up?

I agree with you on this one. I was just wondering if people thought it bad/unfulfilling etc etc... I found it a bitter sweet lesson to be learned but... I was slightly disappointed because it ended. Maybe not the ending but more the fact there was no more Fruits Basket at all.

I'm a dude too o.O

I don't know, it's just the atmosphere. I've watched darker shoujo series, for sure, like Ayashi no Ceres (I count it as shoujo even though it's not fluffy or anything) and bits of Nana have dark undertones. But... there's something about that last episode of Fruits Basket. It's almost as if there's no hope in it at all - it is an episode just filled with despair. If the whole anime had been like that, then sure, that'd fit fine - but the fluffiness from before doesn't prepare you for it. That's the issue I have with the ending.

Tohru walked away after schooling Akito with all three of her retainers by her side and there's no hope? Geez, someone's greedy. :p

And what do you expect from people who turn into animals once they touch someone with the opposite sex? You want a magic potion that can fix the problem so they can have relationships with whoever they want and have happy endings with marriages and kids? That'd kinda ruin the whole show by turning it into one massive fluff-fest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tohru walked away after schooling Akito with all three of her retainers by her side and there's no hope? Geez, someone's greedy. :p

You seem to be missing my point. It's not about that - it's about Kyo's transformation. That episode just doesn't fit with the series.

You seem to be missing my point. It's not about that - it's about Kyo's transformation. That episode just doesn't fit with the series.

Well, considering the family's been at this transforming thing for eternity, Tohru's acceptance isn't a win? Look at his grandfather. I'd say it's pretty happy. What did you think? They would go RPG style into the mountains to find a magic herb, cure Kyo of his problems, and he and Tohru can live happily ever after? Kinda makes all that character and relationship building pointless. I see Kyo finding someone who will accept him a pretty happy and reasonable ending. Like I said, I don't like forced happy endings.

If you are complaining about the insertion of the "dark" story of Kyo, well, without it we'd just be stuck with a non-ending (something akin to dumping another one of the monkey guy/girl story for ep 26). I think it was a good way to go out. Put in more substance in the story that was losing steam.

I'm a dude too o.O
But... there's something about that last episode of Fruits Basket. It's almost as if there's no hope in it at all - it is an episode just filled with despair. If the whole anime had been like that, then sure, that'd fit fine - but the fluffiness from before doesn't prepare you for it. That's the issue I have with the ending.

Maybe you didnt get the ending? I don't understand how there's no hope at the end when Tohru was able to bring kyo back. Everyone was able to walk away happy and smiling(except akito). Tohru was able to live in the Sohma house indefinitely. How much more happiness do you need?

How can it not fit the series when it is about them being cursed by the animals of the zodiac? Throughout the whole series Tohru helps each Sohma member deal with their curse. If you're arguing about how it got more serious towards the end then yes it did. But there is a lot of shows like that. It's call the climax of a story.

I think you probably wanted FB to stay at the same level of fluffiness through out the whole series without much story development. Kind of like Azumanga Daioh. I can see why you would be disappointed then.

I agree with you on this one. I was just wondering if people thought it bad/unfulfilling etc etc... I found it a bitter sweet lesson to be learned but... I was slightly disappointed because it ended. Maybe not the ending but more the fact there was no more Fruits Basket at all.
lol I knew it! It falls under my 2 reasons ppl complain about the ending.

How can it not fit the series when it is about them being cursed by the animals of the zodiac? Throughout the whole series Tohru helps each Sohma member deal with their curse. If you're arguing about how it got more serious towards the end then yes it did. But there is a lot of shows like that. It's call the climax of a story.

I'd have to agree with this. I understand if people think the mood changes too drastically, but in my opinion, if there wasn't the whole deal with Kyo in the end, then the most dynamic parts would already be done earlier in the series, save for some Akito business at the end. It would just feel like nothing big happened at the end. IMO Fruits Basket was just waiting for something to happen.

I don't feel like Kyo's story came out of nowhere though... I had the feeling he was different from the other characters besides the cat not being part of the original zodiac. And maybe it's just me, but that bracelet he wears - I noticed it from the start and wondered if it had significance. (I know clothing/accessories doesn't always have to have a meaning, but his just stuck out to me).

Heh, FB anime. Doesn't seem bad in case you haven't read manga. But I don't think I would be able to watch it again. Ending was done quite well though (in my opinion) - better than some other anime adapted from still running manga.

I wholeheartedly recommend reading manga and not watching anime in this case. FB manga is... cute :-) And really interesting and worth of contemplating...

For me, the idea that the end episode didn't fit the rest of the series is not wholly valid.

A lot of Akito's moments in the series were so dark, and many of the stories so tragic, that I was perfectly prepared for something emotionally disturbing at the end. I knew whatever the ending, it would not be crazy fluffy happy-go-lucky, and I'm glad it wasn't. It fit wonderfully and ended up balancing out the rest of the plot.

Ending:
Maybe you didnt get the ending? I don't understand how there's no hope at the end when Tohru was able to bring kyo back. Everyone was able to walk away happy and smiling(except akito). Tohru was able to live in the Sohma house indefinitely. How much more happiness do you need?

Yes, I did get the ending, thanks. It seems that you're not actually listening to my argument but I'll reiterate one more time if you like (feel free not to respond if you're going to say the same thing again) - nothing before prepares you for the atmosphere in those last two episodes. It feels like a different anime - I'm not talking about the final ending where they walk away smiling, or the need for a climax. It just feels... dark. Too dark for the rest of the series, it just doesn't fit what Fruits Basket set itself up to be.

I think you probably wanted FB to stay at the same level of fluffiness through out the whole series without much story development. Kind of like Azumanga Daioh. I can see why you would be disappointed then.

Actually, I prefer series with more story and character development. In general, I'm not one for series without a story or with a similar plot sequence each episode (Fruits Basket just did it well enough to grab my interest). So no, I didn't want it to stay at the same level of fluffiness. Equally, some of my favourite series are on the dark side, so it's not a case of hating the darkness - it's simply a case of the atmospheres not fitting. If I'd seen those two episodes as a completely different series - fine! No problem at all with it! It's just... it just doesn't feel like Fruits Basket, which is why I've never been keen about the ending.

If you still don't understand the argument, then leave it. It's obvious that you've made your mind up that it's only the manga readers who hated the ending "because it ended" and that there's no other opinion than yours. And fine, have it your way - I don't care if you feel that way. But then, that's not really discussion, and then you're defeating the purpose of a forum, so up to you :D

Why do you need something to prepare you for the last few episodes?
Claymore spoiler
I wasn't prepared when Teresa got her head cut off
It doesn't mean that it was bad for the show. Besides many others have already pointed it out that they were prepared for it. I certainly was.

FBs ending eps being too dark? I don't know about that. If it gets labelled as being too dark then certainly Yugioh, Pokemon, Air tv, etc were "too dark" at times.

Your main reason for not liking the ending was because it became "too dark" and that didn't fit the overall series. Others and I have already pointed out why it does fit. That's the first time Ive heard of FB and the word dark together.

Exactly how did you expect/want FB to end?

If you still don't understand the argument, then leave it.
Uhhh myself and as well as others understood your arguements just fine.

If it gets labelled as being too dark then certainly Yugioh, Pokemon, Air tv, etc were "too dark" at times.

I'm almost tempted to amuse myself by asking how you found those dark. I can understand Air to some extent, though it was never enveloped by its dark undertones at any point, whereas I felt that Fruits Basket was.

Others and I have already pointed out why it does fit. That's the first time Ive heard of FB and the word dark together.

Well, you have now :D And just because you (and others) think like that, doesn't make my view any less valid. It seems odd that you're continuing this line of 'argument' without bringing any new ideas about it to the discussion.

Exactly how did you expect/want FB to end?

Not that way :D

Let's put it this way: I didn't expect I'd be watching scenes where I almost expected Tohru to be mauled by transformed Kyou - yet it was that kind of atmosphere that was presented to me. It just felt... violent, even if it never reached that level. And as you say, that's the last thing you'd expect from Fruits Basket.

Of course it doesn't make your views any less valid. It's debating about ones opinion of course. Like how I can say Air is the shittest most overrated anime ever made doesn't mean I'm wrong or my opinion is any less valid. A lot of people would be curious to why I felt it was that way though. Just like why I'm curious about how FB can be too dark when it's the most warm and fuzzy anime Ive seen. Well Angelic Layer is up there too.

i liked the ending, obviously for any manga turned anime that has a high number of volumes its hard to end the series but i loved the way it did this ^^ mainly because i love kyo ^^

I can never differentiate the manga from the anime. I absolutely love the manga and the ending was one of the best I've ever seen but I watch the anime first and I'm dont remember the differences in the two.

It's so sad that they left it unfinished T.T . The manga is great, I finished it a year ago. Yuki is my favourite because I can empathise with him a lot and he's very similar to me in many aspects. Tohru is wonderful. She may look clueless at times, but she's a fresh and strong heroine. I liked the opening theme very much.

Although the ending of Fruits Basket wasn't totally satisfying to me it did resolve the conflict between her and the family. It would be great if they were to finish the anime like the manga though.

I need to get this show for myself soon. I heard it was pretty good. :)

Back