New feature: view most popular season anime (want to watch, watching, dropped counts)

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
We've just launched a new mini-feature based on a community suggestion by Chad28

Chad suggested adding functionality to view the user stats on the season page, so he could get an idea of what the most popular 'want to watch' series are before a season comes out. This seemed like a neat idea and I know the season pages are very popular, so I've just added in three fields on any page with season info:

-want to watch count
-watching count
-dropped count

Some cool demos:

Top 'watching' series for Spring 2013

Top 'want to watch' series for Summer 2013

I'm sure W2W will be most helpful for seasons that haven't aired yet, while watching/dropped will become more useful once a series is airing. I know the table is pretty squished, once we redesign the site I'll make things look better. :) I also realize that synonyms make things look a little weird, we'll take that into consideration when redesigning too.

I do really want to overhaul the season pages in general to be a lot more interesting, with maybe more stats on what people are watching, ability to vote on seasonal 'awards', etc. Lots of thoughts in mind!

I'd also like to add the 'hover over the title' thing sometime soon so you can see a cover image for unaired stuff, and synops once series start airing and such. We might also be able to remove the year/type columns for the season pages for now, as those could output in the hover. But that's a conversation for another time!

Hope you enjoy the feature, and thanks to Chad for the suggestion!

Last edited:
Re: New feature: view most popular season anime (want to watch, watching, dropped cou

Wow this is a very useful feature this will prove useful in the future thanks :)

Re: New feature: view most popular season anime (want to watch, watching, dropped cou

Excellent, excellent.

Thanks Sothis, this will help me a lot to decide what to watch in the future seasons =D

I love this new feature.
For the future: is it possible to show the Watched and Won't Watch column?

You can already order it by the other statuses, even though you can't see the relevant numbers. Just change the "status=#" part of the url. Watched=1, won't watch=6, stalled=5.

how do you get to the season's page?

That's a pretty helpfull and cool feature, thank you :drinking:

Chad, you sir deserve this:
tumblr_mcz617rSy01r38j04o1_500.gif

how do you get to the season's page?

it's indeed not the easiest route - you can go to the main anime homepage, then click browse by year, choose a year, and there will be season links at the top if they exist (spring, summer, etc)

alternately, if you're on an anime's page and see a season listed underneath the main image, you can click the name to get to it. once there, you'll see links to the other seasons for that year listed too

the site redesign will fix a lot of this, but as a short term fix i may swap out the 'random tag' section on the anime homepage with something related to seasons, like "Browse current season' or i dunno. season stuff needs to be called out more

Back