Princess Tutu

Eps 1

Lol. I had no idea what to expect and I'm still completely at a loss. On the one hadn this show is everything girly that could ever be - ballet, bishies, fairytales, and super-cutesie animation... and yet it's also really zany and off-the-wall at times e.g. with the cat teacher threatening to marry them all, and some abstraction with the duck-tutu identity. At the moment, the only negative thing is Ahiru's voice, which is annoyingly squeaky.

I've only heard great things about this show, so I'm presuming it's leading somewhere.

Ep 2

Hahaha. That anteater. But a fairly touching story. Liking the world it's built already. Certainly one of the most eccentric anime I've ever watched. So unique.

List of Human Emotions So Far:
frustration
loneliness
sadness
affection
fear
curiosity
obsession
love
pride

Last edited:
The real ballet I checked out on Youtube after this was just sick. All bones, twisted joints, and a rather abstract relation to what's supposed to happen.

My only note for ep1 was "Utena for children" :)

Eps 1

Lol. I had no idea what to expect and I'm still completely at a loss. On the one hadn this show is everything girly that could ever be - ballet, bishies, fairytales, and super-cutesie animation... and yet it's also really zany and off-the-wall at times e.g. with the cat teacher threatening to marry them all, and some abstraction with the duck-tutu identity. At the moment, the only negative thing is Ahiru's voice, which is annoyingly squeaky.

I've only heard great things about this show, so I'm presuming it's leading somewhere.

Ep 2

Hahaha. That anteater. But a fairly touching story. Liking the world it's built already. Certainly one of the most eccentric anime I've ever watched. So unique.

thats funny, ahiru's voice was my favorite part. ive really enjoyed most of it oddly, except when i see what i guess i will discribe as the power up dance moves, then i get a little worried about what im putting into my brain lol.

so far, i really enjoy watching ahiru and the cat instructor. they are both neat characters. off to eps 3 and 4!

Eps 3-4

Oh wow, I'm enjoying this show a lot more. It's still very episodic, but I'm liking the dance-offs and the humour. That cat teacher seriously tickles me! I have a prediction:

The guy with the black hair, Fakia, is the raven of legend. Otherwise why is he so mean and go black spikey hair? Think about it.

Oooh, and I'm going to keep a tally of all the emotions gathered so far in my first post. I'm quite interested to see what they think make up the spectrum of human sensibility.

Last edited:
Just watched the first episode, I was not expecting it to be that good. The music just brings it to a whole new level. It's unique, powerful, and has placed a large amount of good components for the series to work with. Can't wait to continue with it.

Just watched the first episode, I was not expecting it to be that good. The music just brings it to a whole new level. It's unique, powerful, and has placed a large amount of good components for the series to work with. Can't wait to continue with it.

Hehe. So you joining in the discussions with us? We will all be on ep 6 tonight. So when you catch up (which shouldn't be hard at all), your opinions are always welcome. The more the merrier. :)

He's not really got any personality. Am currently watching episode six. I am starting to fall for Ahiru, though. She's so adorable. And that cat!!! OH MY GOD :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ep 4-6

Oooh, that was interesting!
I wonder why Mytho is scared of Tutu in particular. I was assuming he'd say something like 'Tutu... I'm afriad... I'm scared for Princess Tutu'. Didn't expect him to actually fear her.

I'm also thinking it less and less likely that Fakir is the crow. Indeed it would have been too obvious.

Arc666: The cat is the teacher. You really found him boring? Even all his talk about marriage??? Hahahahaha!

Episode 7-8

Wow, that was powerful!

This series has suddenly got seriously dark. So the crow (or 'avatar of the demon crow' as Fakir called her) was Rue. And the way they presented th conflicts was totally gripping and beautiful allt he at the same time. It's weird, because with the music, I sometimes felt I was watching a real ballet dramatisation. This show looks like it's going to be stellar.

I'm also liking the way Mytho is going. He's already very likeable.

Heheh. I'm looking forward to you catching up. Because eps 9-10 continued with the excellent quality.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe Fakir's the one for Tutu. Lol. As a duck and man, they bond pretty well.

I'm looking forward to you catching up.

Now that you've caught up...

ep12
I'm starting to wonder if maybe Fakir's the one for Tutu.

I'm not sure we'll see any couples at the end of this show. But I loved Ahiru's look after she transformed in front of him. Important question: why do her knickers shrink to duck size while the uniform remains unchanged?

Sie haben sich übrigens Mühe mit sämtlichem deutschen Text gegeben, mir ist noch kein Fehler aufgefallen. Die US DVD hat allerdings Schmied mit antiquities übersetzt...

Generally the official subs are 'adjusted', so stay clear if possible. Drosselmeier's Japanese is hard to understand though. Luckily most stuff I watch has an all-female cast XD

I like the new angles they find in all those tales, like whether the prince loves cinderella even whithout the enchantment.

Now that you've caught up...

ep12
I'm not sure we'll see any couples at the end of this show. But I loved Ahiru's look after she transformed in front of him. Important question: why do her knickers shrink to duck size while the uniform remains unchanged?...

I like the new angles they find in all those tales, like whether the prince loves cinderella even whithout the enchantment.

Eps 11-12:

Indeed, I'm loving the interesting twists on the fairytales too. I'm not sure I get the whole knickers question, lol. I think even her underwear stays behind after the transformation. Never seen her in just knickers.

One thing I find very fascinating is this matter of Kraehe's role. Drosselmeyer keeps talking about that, and Fakir constantly calls her the raven. However, actually, she's not, is she? In my view, she's a black swan. I thought from the moment she started having insecurities about whether or not she was bad that her being the raven would be too easy. In stead, she's a black swan who thinks she's the raven because Fakir keeps calling her that and she doesn't know what else she could be.

It also makes sense since Princess Tutu is basically the ugly duckling who turns into the beautiful swan. That her love rival should be an insecure black swan seems intuitive. Although that still leaves me wondering whether the raven will ever take on any true meaning or whether it'll turn out to be a bit of a mcguffin.

In regards to Fakir finding out about Ahiru, I thought that scene was so lovely. His face was indeed hilarious. Haha! I genuinely like the way the two are bonding, though. When he's not being stoic, they play off each other in a really entertaining way.

Oh, and another strong point of this show - the imagery. SUMPTUOUS.

EDIT: Oh...
and that part where she walks into all those walls... :laugh:

Rewatch the transformation in front of Fakir. The duck is shrugging off tiny knickers :D

Ooookay.

Anyway, episode 13 was superb. DAMNIT that was so exciting. I actually went 'WOOOOOW' when
the real Mytho asked her to the pas de deux. I was totally not expecting that. And the dance-off itself was really thrilling. Heh. Who knew an anime could pull of ballet?

Last edited:
I guess we count DVD episodes, not the shorter broadcast slot.

ep14
And the dance-off itself was really thrilling. Heh. Who knew an anime could pull of ballet?

Already said that I find ballet bizarre, so the more realistic it gets the less I like it ^^;

So now we're in the second season, and Krähe gets ever more vicious.

In my view, she's a black swan.

Weren't the swans just a one episode thing? There aren't any in the tale, right?

But now she has a "father" we can see how the producers intend to make her a "good" character...

Couldn't help noticing that they seem to have run out of music. It's getting repetitive and isn't always from ballets anymore.

Ahiru's blond friend Ririe is great :)

Es scheint doch einige Fehler im Deutschen zu geben, aber die R2 DVD hat sie ausgebügelt.

Back