Tekkon Kinkreet

cheol

Tekkon Kinkreet

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

have you guys seen Tekkonkinkreet.
it was just released this year.

i suggest everyone who enjoys a beautiful crafted anime to see this!

the setting placed in tekkonkinkreet is just as good as ghibli details.

anyways this is movie is my #1 recommand right now.
just look at my sig. hahaha:love:
also the english dub was done so nicely.
its better than the jap dub.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: tekkonkinkreet

cool i haven't seen it but it sounds pretty good, i'll have to check it out
thanx

Last edited:

wow i guess it really isn't, thanks sothis from saving me from a flop!

i owe you!

I heard it wasn't too great but I plan on watching it eventually.

Well, Studio 4°C isn't known for for grabbing the big anime fanbase. They are more of a niche company. I think the best stuff they ever worked on was Mind Game, Princess Arete, Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu, Memories, and the Animatrix (don't remember which part it worked on). I'd definitely recommend at least checking out the last four.

As for Tekkon Kinkreet, I'll give it a go (meaning hopefully before 2010). Studio 4°C's usually a miss for me, but sometimes they get a hit. Thanks.

I'm one of the biggest Studio 4C fans around (see my reviews for Mind Game and Kemonozume) and I hated it. The characters are borderline retarded, and the plot goes nowhere and has almost no point.

In the end, the animation is probably its biggest strength, but while the entire movie is technically impressive, it's certainly not artistically so. There isn't the same raw creativity in the visuals that I saw in Studio 4C's other works - it's just a garish, detail-rich city populated with Studio 4C's "standard" but in this case distinctly out of place character designs, which are as butt-ugly as ever.

same. i am generally a huge studio 4c fan.

I will have to disagree. My rating 9.5/10; almost a perfect 10. I loved the movie.

Tekkon Kinkreet may just replace my top anime, Paranoia Agent. Period.

["The last thing I'll say about the animation is that the character designs are unmistakably ugly. Though the background shots are complex and rich with life, the characters are overly simplistic and unattractive; nothing but basic lines and shading compose their faces and bodies.- sothis"]

I found Tekkon Kinkreet to be stunning and symbolic. I consider it a masterful work of art. The character designs I find to be gloriously magnificent. They are not in the least bit ugly. They are absolutely beautiful and wonderful to look at. But I loved the story and symbolism much more. The lines are not as bold, crisp nor clean as ninety percent of the available anime. It's certainly uniquely different and in a very, very good way; Picasso-esque. The background is "complex and rich" and the characters "basic" is done for a reason. It actually works to its advantage and quite well when you realize there is a deeper meaning to the story. Listen to what the character "White" and "Black" has to say as well as their respective actions. It's so much more than two kids wanting to put a stop to an evil villain's plans.

["Ultimately Tekkon Kinkreet's major failure is its pacing and direction - you are jerked abruptly from scene to scene in a flurry of pretty effects, and eventually are left to ponder the question, "why am I still watching this?" There is absolutely no sense of flow; each scene stands alone, while the transitions between them seem forced and unnatural. - Sothis"]

I will have to disagree here as well. I find the pacing and direction to be superb; an absolute genius at work. I find the "abrupt" scene changes to be highly effective. The story is not simply about "Two orphan children try to stop a bad man and his cohorts from tearing down the city and building an amusement park for their own profit. - sothis" It's much more.

One last remark, there is a reason why the two main characters are named "Black" and "White." It'll be a tragedy if you don't watch this.

Last edited:

i disagree 100% of course, but people can make their own judgment calls i suppose :p

It seems to be what type you like. If you like the type of shows where you can not understand anything then maybe you would like it if you like to understand stuff then maybe not.

wow, a straight forward response!

I guess i'll read the review and see if its worth watching or not.

wow you have to be really ignorant to pass out on this one like that.
especially with a straight forward response like that from both of you. how disappointing.

It seems to be what type you like. If you like the type of shows where you can not understand anything then maybe you would like it if you like to understand stuff then maybe not.
um story is based off of like morals, philosophy, symbolism things you have to look at and understand with an open mind. what most of you dont appreiciate then.

like the type of shows where can not understand anything?
this is ridiculous.

jesus wise up.

I will have to disagree. My rating 9.5/10; almost a perfect 10. I loved the movie.

Tekkon Kinkreet may just replace my top anime, Paranoia Agent. Period.

["The last thing I'll say about the animation is that the character designs are unmistakably ugly. Though the background shots are complex and rich with life, the characters are overly simplistic and unattractive; nothing but basic lines and shading compose their faces and bodies.- sothis"]

I found Tekkon Kinkreet to be stunning and symbolic. I consider it a masterful work of art. The character designs I find to be gloriously magnificent. They are not in the least bit ugly. They are absolutely beautiful and wonderful to look at. But I loved the story and symbolism much more. The lines are not as bold, crisp nor clean as ninety percent of the available anime. It's certainly uniquely different and in a very, very good way; Picasso-esque. The background is "complex and rich" and the characters "basic" is done for a reason. It actually works to its advantage and quite well when you realize there is a deeper meaning to the story. Listen to what the character "White" and "Black" has to say as well as their respective actions. It's so much more than two kids wanting to put a stop to an evil villain's plans.

["Ultimately Tekkon Kinkreet's major failure is its pacing and direction - you are jerked abruptly from scene to scene in a flurry of pretty effects, and eventually are left to ponder the question, "why am I still watching this?" There is absolutely no sense of flow; each scene stands alone, while the transitions between them seem forced and unnatural. - Sothis"]

I will have to disagree here as well. I find the pacing and direction to be superb; an absolute genius at work. I find the "abrupt" scene changes to be highly effective. The story is not simply about "Two orphan children try to stop a bad man and his cohorts from tearing down the city and building an amusement park for their own profit. - sothis" It's much more.

One last remark, there is a reason why the two main characters are named "Black" and "White." It'll be a tragedy if you don't watch this.

Great to hear something positve!
i suggest you try Paprika. if you are a fan of Paranoia Agent.
it might even top if off.

Great to hear something positve!
i suggest you try Paprika. if you are a fan of Paranoia Agent.
it might even top if off.

Both were by Satoshi Kon. You really can't go wrong with the guy's movies. Tokyo Godfathers, PERFECT BLUE, Magnetic Rose (from Memories), Millennium Actress are all great works. Actually, pretty much the only thing I didn't like from this guy was . . . Paranoia Agent.

And I wouldn't be surprised to find he's related to Chiaki Kon (Higurashi) since the kanji for their family name's the same. Another one of those psychological trips.

yeah i could link that of similarities between Agent and Paprika. mostly because of the soundtrack. but again its great to hear from something who adds interest as i am. but i have to add the Paranoia Agent was a interesting piece of work. it was mostly an odd serie, but certainly one to remember!

There's a common misconception here that needs to be addressed:

Adding symbolism to a bad movie does not magically make that movie good. A movie has to be good on its own terms to be watchable; naming the happy-but-retarded character "White" and the less-retarded-but-ANGRY character "Black" doesn't stop both characters from being retarded.

There's a common misconception here that needs to be addressed:

Adding symbolism to a bad movie does not magically make that movie good. A movie has to be good on its own terms to be watchable; naming the happy-but-retarded character "White" and the less-retarded-but-ANGRY character "Black" doesn't stop both characters from being retarded.

Semi true.

I will agree that the addition of "symbolism to a bad movie does not magically make that movie good."

But I will still disagree that it was a bad movie; Tekkon Kinkreet was and is still a good movie. The movie is well directed with grade A animation with a storyline to match. Having "retarded" main characters does not jeopardize the film's worth. It is a unique element that works. I personally found the symbolism to be an added bonus. It ties everything together, solidly.

Bottom line: to each their own.

Viva/Sothis hates it.

Strawberryshortcake absolutely loved it.

@cheol: I just noticed, but boy you love double (and triple) posting.

@viva: THANK YOU!! Now if someone can just explain to people that just because something is so convoluted that you can't understand it, it doesn't make it "smart," I'd be happy.

@strawberry: Your bottom line, if everyone followed it, it would make for very boring threads. :p

Well, this show goes in the massive pile of "to watch." ETA: Probably in two years. I'm not kidding. :crying:

Back