Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories 2nd Season

The first season of this show was laughably terrible even for a cheapo short. It's shame because there probably is a room for bite sized urban legends to be suitably creepy.

Episode 1 and 2:

Yeah, the same kind of half assed horror stories as always. This show would be better if the episodes were a bit longer. There isn't enough time in each episode to build any atmosphere and horror has a very deliberate pacing style. For a show like this there needs to be time to let the dread build before the twist comes into play. The way the show is right now I'm usually just left shrugging when it gets to the scary stuff. I do give the show a bit of credit for trying to build a little suspense but ultimately it falls flat on its face. Also the cheap art of the anime doesn't help matters, but a stronger atmosphere could over come the weak art.

Also, I don't think every episode needs a twist ending. Most of them come off as random or completely extraneous. I don't think they need to do away with the twist endings completely but they could tone it down a bit and focus more on trying to develop the story a bit more in the limited run time.

The first episode with the dummy had no idea how to end itself. There's the build up to the dummy talking but then it just gets tossed on the floor to cry in pain. If anything I just felt sorry for the poor dummy rather than creeped out.

The second episode is slightly better than the first but that ain't saying much. Once again the attempt at build up falls a bit flat due to being rushed. However, the biggest problem with this episode was the need for there to be a twist at the end with the chick getting eaten. I think it would have been a fine ghost story if it had just stuck with her trying convince herself she was just seeing things.

Back