From the New World

kargarus

From the New World
(a.k.a. Shin Sekai Yori)

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

First episode impressions:
I found it interesting and engaging overall. Admittedly, the first couple of segments featuring the boy enacting brutal killings, a thousand year time skip and then a Buddhist initiation type ceremony were initially confusing but it came together as the episode progressed.

The boy at the beginning, Saki and her group at the school seem to possess telekinetic powers. Whereas the boy murdered people, Saki and co are at school working with these powers.

I find this scenario of future humanity with these powers interesting, but more so because of the underlying mystery.

Was Saki’s sister taken away because of her powers or a lack of? Seems there is some conspiracy lurking beneath it all.

Looking forward to following this show.

^Same here but what i'm curious is about the cat of impurity.
I mean if it is a rumor, then that must mean that other people saw it too. But her mom made sound like a bad thing so we will see were that goes.

It was a good first episode, especially the intro (elfen lied style :megusta:), this shit hooked me up immediately. I have nothing agains school setting but this one might suprise me since it's quite different... looking forward to that...
I also like the mysterious feeling of the series... we have a giant time skip, interesting hierarchy, quite charming group of protagonists (at least I guess they are), brave new world... oh and the pedo cat problem... this show is really interesting... definitely watching this....
And the episode ended quite good... the girl disappears... come on? :troll:

My thoughts on Episode 1... Literally what kargarus said...
The way the mother said she hates losing children, it sounds like they failed at producing a child who can use their power properly...
Also, I thought we had to wait for 3-4 eps to make a new thread... :pokerface:

3-4 eps is only a rule for synops

anyway yeah this one has my attention for now. i hope it goes in the direction i prefer instead of the "normal" route

Zzzz...oh, right. That was levels of boring I haven't seen since Another. And like Another, it's a 1 and done for me.

Episode 1:

I really enjoyed this first episode. I went in blind with no expectations and came out pleasantly surprised. This episode threw out lots of intriguing little tidbits that caught my attention but didn't really give enough to speculate for now, it could go lots of directions from here.

The thing I enjoyed most was the atmosphere of this episode. It really got the mystery feeling right. Even in the first school scenes there was always this uneasy feeling that something wasn't quite right and that feeling grew throughout the episode. If they can build a good mystery and hold this type of uneasy ambiance then this could turn out to be something great.

What confused me about episode 1 is the several different ways in which they refer to their powers and also the fact that the Buddhist monks "exorcised" the main girl and even stated that she had given up her powers.
How then, does she have them when the show actually starts?
Apart from that, I thought it seemed pretty good.
Nice art style, the characters all seem pretty cool so far and I like the premise behind it so far.

Love the style, mystery atmosphere was pretty well set up too. Not to fond of characters so far, but I'll see how they'll develop.
Promising one, I'll stick with it at least for a while.

What confused me about episode 1 is the several different ways in which they refer to their powers and also the fact that the Buddhist monks "exorcised" the main girl and even stated that she had given up her powers.
How then, does she have them when the show actually starts?
That was a little strange.
I think the parents called it a 'blessing' while the monk referred to it as a 'curse'.

Also, after they exorcised her powers, at the end of the scene he mentioned he'd return the powers to her 'once more'. So he took them away and then gave them back which is why she had them at the school.
^Same here but what i'm curious is about the cat of impurity.
I mean if it is a rumor, then that must mean that other people saw it too. But her mom made sound like a bad thing so we will see were that goes.
It will be interesting to see whether this cat really exists. Is it real or a myth? We'll see.

from utw fansubs blog, about the name 'cantus':
EDIT: It seems people are wondering about our translation for “Cantus”, so I figured I’d give a brief explanation of the term.

The original Japanese for Cantus is 呪力, literally “incantation/spell power”, and is the psychokinetic/magic power the people in this world use. Our translation for the term is derived from the incantation part of the word (interestingly, while 呪 can mean “curse”, it would be wrong here because the power isn’t a curse/bad thing, nor does it curse things. It’s one of those “a word can have multiple meanings but it means this in context” kinds of things). It’s not exactly a self-apparent translation, but it preserves the spirit of the original term and sounds fancy too.
so it's one of that words that can have some hidden meanings

Last edited:
Ah right, thanks for that.
I dunno if it's just the translation that I was watching but they also refer to it as controlling gravity in some bits whereas I thought of it as psychokinetic powers since gravity cannot be controlled, unless they create mini big bangs every time they do it.

Show seems interesting, reminds me of Noein more than anything else for some reason - and that's a good thing. I'm sure all the psychic and ritual stuff will make sense after awhile. I'd rather not have the mechanics of how the world works spelled out in the first episode, after all.

Ep 1:
I just have 1 thing to say and this may be me overthinking stuff as usual. If I remember correctly (and I usually do^^), every building shown in this episode (after the time skip) was old style japanese wooden buildings (understandable since they seem to live in the middle of fkin nowhere) and yet a kid said he saw a "barn-like building made of bricks" inside the garden where according to the rumors there were graves. If true, that building would be a little out of place. It could be a remnant of the civilization that I assume disappeared 1000 years ago.

Ep 1:
I just have 1 thing to say and this may be me overthinking stuff as usual. If I remember correctly (and I usually do^^), every building shown in this episode (after the time skip) was old style japanese wooden buildings (understandable since they seem to live in the middle of fkin nowhere) and yet a kid said he saw a "barn-like building made of bricks" inside the garden where according to the rumors there were graves. If true, that building would be a little out of place. It could be a remnant of the civilization that I assume disappeared 1000 years ago.

Yeah, I noticed that too.
It seems like it's the remnants of a town or something.

Yeah, not really enough information in episode one to fully form an opinion, but seems interesting enough. It would've seemed too rushed if they felt the need to explain everything right away, so I'm okay with the pace for now.

Also a huge plus for this show.....

Zzzz...oh, right. That was levels of boring I haven't seen since Another. And like Another, it's a 1 and done for me.

...a discussion thread without redneck. :megusta:

Ep1
Much like previously mentioned, I was confused at the different ways referred to the powers. I was also confused for a sec why she had powers at the school when she had apparently just lost them. It all came together quick to me, though, that these were time skips.

Also, it feels they jump around the scenes to much. At first there's a guy ripping doors off cars and killing people, next there are kids playing games, next a girl is losing her "curse" next they're in a school for the power. Just feels like it jumped around too much at first.

Conclusion of first episode: too many time skips, needed more mantras to be seen, nice visuals and overall pretty well done despite my aforementioned beefs. I think this show is going places. 2012 is a good year for anime it seems.

Also a huge plus for this show.....
...a discussion thread without redneck. :megusta:

Haven't you people learned that making comments like that actually drags him back into the thread for arguments? I have nothing against the guy, but if you dislike him so much, you should be ignoring his post, not baiting him into an argument.

So then what does calling attention to the post that called attention to redneck do? You would've been better served just commenting on the show, and ignoring my post. Oh damn, there's three posts in a row about him now. He's sure to turn up now, due to the Beetlejuice principle.

So then what does calling attention to the post that called attention to redneck do?

It points out that your immature vendetta is the cause of your own annoyance and by such it is you who is the problem.

And, this is four. I'm done with this now, though. I'm not derailing the thread more than this.

Back