Ghost Hound

VivisQueen

[sadht=Shinreigari Ghost Hound]Ghost Hound[/sadht][sadhl=1564]ghost-hound[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Just embarked upon this series and am on episode 2. First impressions - this could either be a juicy one to sink your teeth into (if it hurries up and tells us what the hell is going on)... or it could be a boring slice of Tesco value white bread.

The animation is flawless. I literally can't find anything wrong with it. Voice acting is superb so far, but the story is hard to describe. So far it's all been speculation and quiet scenes, tense silences and mysterious dreams. I hope we get a bit more interesting action come up later. I don't mean fighting, I mean something just a bit more fast-paced. I also hope the main character gets more interesting, since so far he seems to lack any real personality. A friend who is up to date assures me it gets awesome. *shrug*

Last edited by a moderator:
On episode 3 and I am eagerly awaiting for ureshii to catch up . This show can't take so many different directions from supernatural thriller to crime story and has also this cool stuff about human brain and phobias ... It's really mysterious .

Episode 5. It's gotten more interesting, but not amazing yet. It's a lot to do with the blurred boundary between trauma-linked psychological disorders and the supernatural. The characters still aren't in themselves that engaging, and we still don't really understand what the plot actually is i.e. I still can't sum up in a sentence what it's about.

However, the supernatural elements and the more Mushishi-style intelligence it's going for are enough to keep me going for a couple more episodes. If the plot still doesn't kick in then, I may drop it.

I'm leaning more towards the idea that this show's main driving force is "let's put a whole bunch of weird psychological and biological stuff up that barely ties together to sound really really smart to get people in."

We'll see if it gets better. So far, that's the impression it's leaving me. And creepy little girls with blank faces always gets people interested (anyone see Ringu, F.E.A.R., Hide & Seek, Fatal Frame, etc?).

And creepy little girls with blank faces always gets people interested.

I don't know, for me it works the opposite. After The Ring (both in Japanese and American) and The Grudge, which were highly entertaining, any Sadako-type characters just look like cliches. It just means they can't come up with any new ways of truly scaring people. I hope they stop with the creepy blank staring girls and continue more along the 'let's build up these characters' pasts' element.

I agree somewhat with the rest of what you said.

purplemo: you've watched Hide & Seek? I tried to find and download that with no success a couple of times over the summer.

purplemo: you've watched Hide & Seek? I tried to find and download that with no success a couple of times over the summer.

I think you mean Kakurenbo. I was actually referring to the movie Hide & Seek with Dakota Fanning as the blank girl, but Kakurenbo actually has some blank-faced girls too (it's an okay 25 min show). Can't say where to download since that's not allowed here.

I'm leaning more towards the idea that this show's main driving force is "let's put a whole bunch of weird psychological and biological stuff up that barely ties together to sound really really smart to get people in."

We'll see if it gets better. So far, that's the impression it's leaving me. And creepy little girls with blank faces always gets people interested (anyone see Ringu, F.E.A.R., Hide & Seek, Fatal Frame, etc?).

I love those type of shows but ONLY in animation (i.e. "let's put a whole bunch of weird psychological and biological stuff up that barely ties together to sound really really smart to get people in"). I personally hate live horror shows, but I absolutely fall heads over heel for horror, psychological anime/animation thrillers.

From what clips of "Ghost Hound" I've seen, this may just get pushed into my top 5 list. Stellar animation plus horror/psychological anime = high replay value worthy of my money. I hope to see this series come out on DVD soon.

Thanks for the post opening poster. :)

I just finished episode 5 and so far I really like it! Its trippy and the supernatural theme has me wanting more!

I find it nice tbh, it has moments when i get some major chills down my spine.

Although I still don't get the 'point' of the story (what the plot is), I have a bit more patience for it now. That's thanks to watching Haibane Renmei, which also doesn't tell you a damned thing until right at the end. I also retract the statement about the OP being annoying. Growing on me quite nicely.

Unfortunately, it's plot style and pacing leaves very little to discuss. Six episodes in and I can't really distinguish what are important 'clues' as to the overall picture; it's just seemingly a bunch of random, disconnected events, some spooky, some not so spooky.

I initally started to watch this anime just to see what 1080p looks like. Now I'm on episode 8! I find the anime interesting. I always been a fan on psychological shows.

Every time you see Production I.G. in the credits, you know you got some pretty solid stuff in your hands. This show has been on my "want to see" list for some time now, seems pretty interesting. But the fact that the director also worked on Serial Experiments Lain does brings some doubts imo.

Just found a mention on it on WP and looked at the creators staff...

"The series is staffed by director Ryūtarō Nakamura (Serial Experiments Lain, Kino's Journey), scriptwriter Chiaki J. Konaka (Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, The Big O) , character designer and chief animation director Mariko Oka (Hell Girl) and art director Hiromasa Ogura (Spirit of Wonder, Jin-Roh, Ghost in the Shell)."

All stars. Experience of four great productions (Lain, Kino, Texhnolyze, Jin-Roh) - that's not something to ignore.

Guess I'll be waiting until it's more or less complete (I hate that weekly waiting, it dilutes the experience), and then it might well be the long overdue next great thing. Original concept by Shirow suggests it won't be as top-notch as these four, but still might end up better than GitS level, which means quite good.

OTOH from what Vivi says, it might turn out another Boogiepop Phantom which is all so mysterious that it ends up pointless.
As the essential offtopic, I would disagree with Vivi about Haibane not telling a thing until the end; it does start to build up, hint and reveal the point starting with episode 4, and at 7-9 reaches its peak intensity.

Back