Gantz

BelYaun

[sadht]Gantz[/sadht][sadhl=638]gantz[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

I've been watching too much anime lately so I decided to start this thread on Gantz...there's probably one already out but my computer is freaking out and freezes up a lot when I hit search..

Which character was your favorite and why?

I'm still confused about the ending...

Last edited by a moderator:
GANTZ, why do they have to ruin it?

I´m watching GANTZ right now and has almost finished it. And it makes me so sad to see that they ruin what could have been an excellent anime by making the characters so non-belivable. The serie starts up with a nice and dark episode where they die in the subway and nobody really lifts a hand to help them, marking some of the fact that mankind has become deaf and blind to everything that that doesnt directly concern themselves. And it also shows how modern violence has influenced man in becoming deaf, blind and totally immune to it, leaving them to almost wanting the violence and with a small desire for it.
But that is where it all stops. Character reactions are sometimes so impossible to indentify yourself with that you almost want to throw the TV out the window. They sometimes act and react like total retards. You can indentify yourself with a crazy serialkiller if you just make him trustworthy as a character and that he reacts in a logical way according to the background you give him. But in this series thay have not succeded with that. And that makes me somewhat sad, because i can see the good intentions in it but it doesnt go all the way. Is´nt there someone in the TV-companys that watch these animes first that can tell the creator that the characters could need modifications to make people belive in them and so on?........

Re: GANTZ, why do they have to ruin it?

That's what happens when Gonzo tries to make their own ending. It followed the manga pretty closely up till the "shrine arc", from there on it's all gonzo

Have´nt read the manga so i can say nothing there. But i can say i dont like most of the monsters either. Perhaps they work in the manga, but in the anime they just look like something a 7 year old kid would come up with.

Gantz is a concept I found rather intriguing. Execution wise it was abysmal. THe show so reaks of being a back burner project. Subpar animations, really stupid camera work, and so on point to a "who cares about this, so let's mess around a bit to test for when a real project comes along". That, and the TV editing made it unwatchable back when it aired.

It sounds like you take issue with the concept itself, not just Gonzo's poor treatment of it. I've been meaning to read the manga myself. I'm not going to bother with the rest of the series for awhile.

Just me two cents.

I don't care about Gantz anime one bit. So I recommend you to read excellent G. manga and forget about anime - lol - just my 2 cents...

sothis: Well I like manga much much more - mainly because the really good part starts later :smile:

Edit: Reading Gantz was awesome experience. Well, and end (of first manga stage) is nice.

indeed, i dont read manga so i know series can probalby suck comparitively (just like live action movies versus the books they are based on) :) i've heard that about gantz actually, that the manga is much better.

Really? was it that bad? I stopped watching it when they took the anime in a completely different direction.

Sothis, it is one manga I would highly recommend reading. I'm not a big manga reader, but this one is actually worth it.

Arkaerial said:
Sothis, it is one manga I would highly recommend reading.
Second that. And it's nice (well and bad :crying: of course) that it in fact ended. I am looking forward to the second stage - so I can read it after some years...

actually i loved the anime lol. granted i havent read the manga and i heard they ended it very differently(a few people get 100pts i heard and are given their life back) but anime seemed really well animated and i liked how it wasnt just a "happy ending" type thing.

i was surprised when:
they build up the 3 main characters, (Kei, the dude he dies with and that girl) and then they're killed off. that know-it-all brat really got what he deserved pretty fast too lol. he was a little too cocky. *edit* btw i thought it was really funny when that martial arts guy(who is also pretty cocky) tries to take on those punks and isntead gets beat up too and his teeth pulled out.

anyways, ill prob read manga as i heard its alot better.

btw, if anyone has seen Saw 2, when the group of people wake up in the house not knowing where they are and who everyone else was i thought it was exactly like Gantz lol.

I loved the anime and the manga period :). I do admit the custom ending was a tad weak but all stories have weak points they could pull a season 3 and get right back on track with the manga with little effort. The series still got the point across besides in gantz you learn to expect the unexpected.

I just love they went to vampires at the same time bleach anime did for filler cracked me up so many vampire story lines going on at once!

I dont see why the second vol box set is taller then the first box set WTF can they get package hights right.

I have found it hard to find a good method of gettings gantz shockwave did anything after the hawks and there are a few newier groupds picking it up.

It's been some time now since I've watched Gantz, I have not read the manga.

The "Concept" of gantz was good but the "execution" was horrrible. Someone mentioned a backburner project and yes, I agree it seems very much like that when I think back.

The animation and voices worked well enough in Gantz but the story was just so far fetched it was retarded. It started out really well with the "sick society" and the introduction to the surreal world of gantz and the game that would commence, but after a small time it started moving away fromt hat and trying to develop a deep and interesting story through changes and character development, and that's where it failed.

Had they have stuck with either 1. the sick society concept or 2. the surreal game concept. Then perhaps it would have worked. The ending was absolutely terrible.

In the manga, do you find out any of the story's foundation? Like where Gantz is from, who the aliens are, etc, etc, etc? All these things should be revealed to create an enjoyable story, but nothing was even touched on in the anime, liek who makes these weapons and how do they always get re-stocked? Where does all this power come from to power gantz and all these weapons. The writters really should have gave their head a good shake.

I enjoyed all the internal talking. I don't know about y'all but I could relate with Karono alot... especially when I was like 15-17.

1) All he thinks about is sex
2) When people are in need his first reaction is always like, "dammit, don't look at me."
3) He's always heated and gets easily irked by pussy footing.

I like the story, but I will say that some episodes seem to drag. Especially the fight ones. Everyone is afraid to pull a fricking trigger when they get the drop on someone. That got annoying. I didn't mind them no explaining the aliens and the weapons.

Ending:
But I do wish they woulda explained what happened to Karono... did he die... did he beat gantz somehow? All I got was a reshowing of the intro sequence and a fade to black.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed, there was far too many unanswered questions. Honestly, my grandmother could write a better series then gantz, haha.

The internal talking is potrayed as "the sick society" concept, which was a very interesting concept and they should have taken that concept to the bank and cashed it, it would have made a great series. The Surreal game thing reminded me of bloodsport(or was it a different movie, was with Van Damm and they basically picked up bums, gave them a 30 sec head start and hunted them down.) I think that's a brilliant concept and potential real in every way, the rich rule the world kind of thing. They added alot of good comedy at the start when they first introduced us to the game, but then they shied away from it. It seems to me that animation studios are affraid of doing good work.

You're probably thinking of Hard Target. Bloodsport was the one with the martial arts tournament. With Bolo Yeung and Don Gibb. Awesome movie.

Cythraul said:
You're probably thinking of Hard Target. Bloodsport was the one with the martial arts tournament. With Bolo Yeung and Don Gibb. Awesome movie.

Yeah, Hard Target, thanks.

Since i watched it ill attempt to revive this thread ;-)

Anime started very well, i was hooked from ep 1. i watched both seasons overnight and im disappointed. You call than an ending? Where are the anwsers? What the fuck? Now im going to read manga, i heard its more story wise less money wise (got to love how cheap was this show - huge frames recycling).
Or maybe im wrong and there was any meaning in this dumb ending? To me it looked like "screw you guys, im going home.."

my fav. character is Nishi.theres just something about him hmm. ...anyway i haven't seen the ending yet.i'm on vol.9

Back