Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle 2

TheCoffeeGod

[sadht]Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle 2[/sadht][sadhl]phi-brain-kami-no-puzzle-2[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Second season started!
I've been busy doing other things today, so I haven't gotten around to seeing this yet, however, here's the thread for it.

I kinda like the new OP.

On another note, this looks to be somewhat interesting.

I don't think they'll recycle plot from the first series. But it looks like some of those minor characters will be pulled into the spotlight. Chieno, who had maybe 4 scenes in the last series takes center stage next episode. But enough of that.

That puzzle was ridiculous. They sat there and explained it to me and I still had a hard time following. That was WAY too much information to keep up with in my head. And one minute seemed way too strict by any normal conventions.

Didn't watch the first season. Maybe I'll marathon it and catch up.

Considering the concept, I think the first season went really well. Like, it could have crapped out early. Granted, the plot seemed a little cliche but it was still a rather solid show.

You know, I think I'm going to like this season more. Especially since it seems we'll be getting decent screen time for those minor characters from S1. However, these puzzles are getting more ridiculous.

Phi Brain was mediocre. I just finished the first season yesterday and you guys may color me absolutely underwhelmed. I went into it thinking it might be interesting - I mean, it's PUZZLES! I've loved puzzles for as long as I have memory. But I also feared it'd turn out as it did: hardly ever showing the solver's inner logic and thought process, just showing you a few nuances of the puzzle in question or not even that and then suddenly the puzzle is solved and you're supposed to be amazed about something you didn't even see.

However, as mediocre as it was, it was somewhat fun trash to watch, I'll say honestly that the eps went by quite quickly (mostly because of hardly any brain work needed during their duration, but whatever). At least I can hand it to the show not being inane enough to make me check the video's runtime once and again. Except in the two/three last episodes... those were a pain in the ass. And the last puzzle was so damn anticlimactic... so was the ending as a whole.

So yeah, I'm not expecting much at all from S2, bar some more fun trash for those dead hours when I don't feel like watching something complex. I'll watch it once it's over. No idea how they plan to follow the ''story'', though, seeing how (S1 finale spoilers)

the guidelines to the Puzzle of God, the thingy that has even a place in the show's title, have been destroyed.

Meh, they'll just make something up on the way. I saw something about an Orpheus Order or something when I went to the first ep to see the opening. I strongly prefer the first by the way.

...hardly ever showing the solver's inner logic and thought process, just showing you a few nuances of the puzzle in question or not even that and then suddenly the puzzle is solved and you're supposed to be amazed about something you didn't even see.

This, is the downfall for downloads and simulcasts.
When it airs on NHK, they actually show you the puzzles and their decsriptions as well as their solutions on the screen.

Like I mentioned in the first season thread though, NHK is however, posting the puzzles, descriptions and solutions on the Phi-Brain homepage.

S1 Puzzles
S2 Puzzles

I want to see how the character organizes his thoughts in order to solve it. If I just wanted puzzles and solutions for them I wouldn't look for them on an anime series, but elsewhere. The point here is to have characters who can actually impress. Phi Brain's do not.

Do you pay attention to the inner monologue of the characters when faced with a puzzle? Well aside from Anna, who just does whatever. But yeah, you do get their thoughts on the puzzle and what's going on. In fact, the dwarves and apples puzzle in S1 was a great example of that, considering Kaito had to realize something was missing.

There's a few other good examples of that too. Granted, a number of Gammon's puzzles in S1 glossed over the inner thoughts on the puzzles towards the end though, probably for the sake of suspense, given the nature of the puzzles.

In fact, look at the puzzle in the first episode of S2. He details that puzzle really well, confusing as it is.

The puzzle with the dwarves was the one where I found myself enjoying the puzzle on a more than basic level. I'll give you that one, but all the others are severely lacking in insight. For a hard puzzle's solution to be satisfying they'd really have to go into a lot of details and know how to pull it off so that the exposition won't be inane, and that's a difficult thing to do which Phi Brain didn't manage for me. Instead of throwing so many halfassed challenges at the main characters they should have gone with just half of them or so and fully flesh them out. That way perhaps this show would be even 4/5 material instead of a mere 2,5.

Episode 7:

I utterly despise characters who have to play dirty in order to win. That's basically an admission of, "You're better but I'll cheat so you lose." So that coupled with his sleezy flirting with women means I now rather dislike Pinochle. He deserved more than a slap in the face, honestly.

I half expected Freecell to throw him out the window. :D

Episode 7:

I utterly despise characters who have to play dirty in order to win. That's basically an admission of, "You're better but I'll cheat so you lose." So that coupled with his sleezy flirting with women means I now rather dislike Pinochle. He deserved more than a slap in the face, honestly.

I half expected Freecell to throw him out the window. :D

I agree with the first part.But I can't dislike Pinochle,because his VA is Sakata Gintoki,and he is bad ass.
I also thought he would throw him out of the window,but I guess it's a kid's show,so won't be that much violence.

Finally got to catch up. Episode 9

Freecell's mind games are that of a cracked psyche. Thus, I don't dislike him like I do Pinochle. Pino was just a d-bag. But hey, we have a new Rook, it seems. And yay for deus ex machinas.

Episode 16:

I think they wasted Eve's character. She could have been a great means of character building for Ana, who has always seemed a little enigmatic. We saw him cry and be totally broken but that was about it. Ana's always been that carefree individual who doesn't seem to put much thought into what he does. I dunno. I guess I was just hoping they could put Ana in a position so he would have to give it his all.

Episode 16:

I think they wasted Eve's character. She could have been a great means of character building for Ana, who has always seemed a little enigmatic. We saw him cry and be totally broken but that was about it. Ana's always been that carefree individual who doesn't seem to put much thought into what he does. I dunno. I guess I was just hoping they could put Ana in a position so he would have to give it his all.

Yep,I feel like they could've done more with the appearance of Eve.

What happens in every episode:
Person A says: Puzzle, puzzle, amazing puzzle, puzzle hard, puzzle.
Person B says: Puzzle, puzzle, dangerous, puzzle, no life outside of puzzle, puzzle.
Then his eye glows, he solves the puzzle out of screen, the end
Puzzles are seriuz biznez. As serious as a children's gard game.

Well aware that's how it goes. Or do you expect an anime to perfectly replicate real life? If you don't like it, you should have stopped around episode 5 of the first season.

But if he did that he wouldn't have an excuse to bomb every single anime thread every created.

Meh. Already reported him for blatant trolling. And I mean, it's not like he's entitled to his own opinion. But the fact that he stays in several threads for the purpose of bashing the anime is the problem.

But anyway, the feel of this season is a bit different.
That 4-episode slider puzzle made the pacing feel weird. And now we're back to single episode puzzles trying to pick off respective characters. And I really dislike Muller.

And did Mizerka try to kill Ana? I mean, I never SAW a knife but it looked like she could have been holding one.

And I really wish they could have made Ana solve a puzzle, a different puzzle, against Eve. Would have been nice.

Back