Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Episode 2:

Slightly more interesting with
the death of that guy and his wife grieving. Maybe there'll be more emotional stuff to come.

By the way, valondar, if you haven't already, I'd like to point you to Crest/Banner of the Stars. Something tells me you'll really like it.

Maybe there'll be more emotional stuff to come.

Bluntly: Yes.

By the way, valondar, if you haven't already, I'd like to point you to Crest/Banner of the Stars. Something tells me you'll really like it.

Oh I intend to fairly soon and I did kind of glance over your threads on the topic. Elsewhere I've read comparisons between the show and Star Trek: The Next Generation (as a kind of anime equivalent), so I suspect I'd enjoy it a great deal.

Actually on that note I'd just like to say that Legend of the Galactic Heroes actually has sex. Not a lot of it and don't hold your breath for it to show up anytime soon but it's definitely in there.

;_;

What upsets me is that people took my 'having sex' comment so seriously. It was a joke, people!

And 1) I love Star Trek, but 2) I don't think Banner matches it in continuous entertainment value. Honestly, Crest is a very very good show and I was hooked throughout and the characters are introduced beautifully. The problem begins halfway through Banner I, when it all starts getting rather tedious and repetitive. I don't think there even is a plot, just endless space battles, briefly interrupted by characterisation dialogue. This is why I'm hoping LOTGH actually has a serial dramatic story.

I'm being glib! Honestly one or two tasteful sex scenes in nine billion episodes isn't exactly Elfen Lied.

And if there's one thing LOGH has in buckets, it's plot. It can be slow-moving a lot of the time but there's lots of stuff going on in every season. I also found to be very dramatic; but that depends how much one identifies and connects with the two leads and the enormous supporting cast - rather considerably so in my case.

Glad to hear it, valondar. Glad to hear it. Can I just ask, which are the most important characters to focus on right now? Cause there's so many and all their names just swim in and out of the screen, I really just want to know now who I should give a shit about.

My instinctive reaction to info dumping and endless exposition is to switch off, and after Twelve Kingdoms and Banner of the Stars, I do it even quicker now than I used to. The sad effect is that if there IS something decent coming, I'm likely to miss it. So, help me out here with some hints on what to focus on.

Okay, here are a couple of guys worth watching. Incomplete but hopefully helpful:

The leads:

Yang Wenli
Reinhard von Lohengramm

Basically our two principals this season, we get quite a bit of character development and personality and so on.

Imperials to watch:

Siegfried Kircheis
Reinhard von Lohengramm's dearest and oldest friend, very important character.

Mittermeyer
Reuental
You might remember these two guys as the guys who aren't in the battle but are commenting about how they hope Reinhard wins. What the hell is with that, eh? Well, they're two of his most loyal and trusted lieutenants based on previous campaigns so they'll be a big deal. They were swapped out of this campaign by Reinhard's enemies, who figured that without his best officiers Reinhard can't win battles.

Oberstein
Don't think he's appeared yet but wait for this guy. I love this bastard, and he loves his dog.

Prince von Braunschweig:
Pretty much the epitome of the arrogance and presumption of the Goldenbaum Dynasty's aristocracy. A total and utter prick to put it nicely, and a rather darned important one.

Alliance guys to watch:

Juan Minci:
Yang Wenli's ward. That's pretty much all he is now but he's the guy Yang Wenli has the closest connection to.

Greenhill:
I forget his first name but the father of Frederica Greenhill and a man Yang Wenli rather respects, one of the more trustworthy Alliance characters.

Job Truniht:
The good and decent El Presidente of the free democratic order. Ha, I kid.

Jessica Edwards:
You'll like her. A lot.

Others:

The leader of Phezzan who's name I can't remember I'd look it up but I have to go. The bald guy.

Last edited:
-_-

That's like EVERYONE. Lol. Okay, I'll try to concentrate on those. At least the top two guys are easy to identify with their hair colour and stuff.

LoGH is far better than Crest/Banner (which I found boring) and it really has lot of plot. I recently watched the 22 episodes OVA prequel that focuses on Reinhard and Siegfried, good stuff too.
@VivisQueen Don't watch it all at once. Even while almost all episodes are good, 110 are too much to watch shortly one after another.
@Valondar I love Oberstein, too! I still remember what he said to Bittenfeld in one of the last episodes.

Vivis - That's a short list. Honest.

I could think of a couple more characters who have key roles this season (and/or the series as a whole) but I wanted to stick to the really important guys who have big roles in terms of plot or character at this point. I'd consider Schenkopp probably the most important guy who didn't make the cut for anyone who cares...

I recently watched the 22 episodes OVA prequel that focuses on Reinhard and Siegfried, good stuff too.

Yeah, that OVA was good stuff. I'll be getting around to the other OVA myself in the near future. Of the LOGH additional material I've seen I'd say it's all good, Golden Wings is the weakest link for a variety of reasons but I did still like that.

I'm really not expecting anyting much from the Crest of the Stars franchise but I figure it's worth a shot anyway given my indolate love for space opera. While we're on the subject, Farscape is frigging awesome. Not in any way shape or form remotely resembling any of the series just mentioned (it's about as pretentious as a soda pop and classy as bubblegum trading cards) I just thought I'd name drop that show FOR NO REASON because I love it so.

@Valondar I love Oberstein, too! I still remember what he said to Bittenfeld in one of the last episodes.

Which was?

(is ashamed to not remember the quote, Oberstein fan that I am)

finished season 2 a couple weeks ago. pretty good but not as solid as season 1. seemed they were setting things up for this next season. later in the season was very good though. i was going to start season three but decided to take a break... this show can be pretty demanding on your attention and dont want to miss anything.

Which was?

(is ashamed to not remember the quote, Oberstein fan that I am)
I don't remember word by word, but you certainly remember that Bittenfeld wasn't the cautious type of a military commander. So when Bittenfeld at the end urged to attack Iserlohn once more Oberstein scolded him by saying something like 'How many more bones of our soldiers do you want to scatter throughout the Iserlohn corridor to rot?' and Bittenfeld didn't know what to reply. It is for scenes like this that I really liked LoGH. Another example of such scenes would be the one in the 22 episodes prequel where the military commander that was hired to kill Reinhardt realized what he was gambling for (high treason, which would have meant that they would have killed his entire family, typical punishment in an autoritarian regime, they come for your relatives), and threw himself in the ravine.

Episode 3:

That exchange between Jessica and that jingoistic bastard was real intsense stuff! I wasn't really paying too much attention until Jessica posed him that question. That made me sit up and is probably the hook I've been needing to believe this show might have some original essence worth staying for.

I must say, though, I lolled so hard when he
had her dragged out and was like 'Ah, regrettably,grief invites madness. But we must not be defeated by grief! On with the music!

I knew you'd like Jessica Edwards. Or at any rate I made a reasonable guess to that effect!

And Job Truniht is just one of those guys I love to despise.

And Job Truniht is just one of those guys I love to despise.

Oh, I love him. You can't help but adore a media-savvy propaganda whore politician, can you?

Epsiode 4:

The background story to Reinhardt and Kircheis is great stuff! I forget, you know, despite having seen Rose of Versailles/urashiman etc, that just because the animation is ancient, doesn't mean the story is poor. The story is just far more gripping now the characters have become the focus. Reinhard became particularly entrancing ever since
he bashed that bully over the head with a rock. Not to mention his blatant complex over his sister. It means there's a side to him that's a little fucked up. It's always the blond ones!

I'm also amused by the fact that, despite the futuristic world setting, they still use gold dubloons as tender. Hahaha!

By the way
Reinhard now has half the military under him. What is he going to do with that, I wonder?

I'm also amused by the fact that, despite the futuristic world setting, they still use gold dubloons as tender. Hahaha!

That's the Galactic Empire in a nutshell. Why be futuristic when you can do things the 18th century way? We eventually do get a sort-of explanation for that but chiefly I think it's there because early modern Europe is just nifty to look at.

By the way
Reinhard now has half the military under him. What is he going to do with that, I wonder?

Stuff. ;)

Episode 5:

Lol. Fat juvenile toga guy was bound to lose! But, I didn't get the poetic relevance of the togas until that 'et tu Brute?!' moment. Excellent.

Another little reference that came to mind: Siegfried's shortened nickname used by Annerose and Reinhard when they are casually conversing, in German, simply means 'victory'. So, in a way, Reinhard always has victory at his side! Hahaha!

And currently, Kircheis is my favourite character in the show. I'd love to take his hawt little 2D body to bed... :love:

Episode 6:
Wangli has an assistant (typical, female only gets to be an 'aide', but at least she has great memory - maybe it's like her superpower). Anyway, is there a sex scene coming up? Women in this show are so seldom, anytime I see a man and woman in the same shot, I think they're about to mate. *crosses fingers*

As an overall comment, the dialogue is exquisite in several places.

Last edited:
And currently, Kircheis is my favourite character in the show.
Glad to hear it. I'm rather fond of Siegfried myself.

As an overall comment, the dialogue is exquisite in several places.

Yeah. Yang Wenli's got some of my favourite dialogue - and monologues - in all anime, personally. Plenty of other characters in the show have pretty choice lines too though.

Yeah, I meant the same character. For some reason I used Siegfried instead of Kircheis and retrospect I should have just said 'him'. Gah, that wasn't altogether clear of me...

Episode 8:

I loooooooooooove that Reinhard hates nobles.

I loooooooooooove even more the fact that Oberstein and him join forces.

Honestly, is it not wonderfully ironic that Reinhard wants to bring down the nobility established by Rudolf so badly? And yet he uses Rudolf's rise to power five hundred years earlier as a blueprint for his own upstart advancement?

I'm enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would. I'm aiming to finish episode 10 before bed.

Back