Anime-Planet: now with hundreds of streaming music videos and shorts! Plus Vocaloid!

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
We've already announced the addition of over 22,000 legal streaming anime videos here on the site through partnerships with Crunchyroll, Hulu and Viki, and today, are excited to announce yet another batch of legal videos - this time from Youtube!

New videos from Youtube!
We've linked a few hundred music videos and shorts, all are embedded from legitimate Youtube channels (for example, the animator who did the short film, the music company that holds copyright to the music video, etc. Because we're focused on having only legal content here on Anime-Planet, we don't tend to embed one-off videos that a random person uploads on Youtube.

We're still in the process of linking some videos, and will add them when new entries are added moving forward.

Now with moar Vocaloid
We've beefed up our collection of Vocaloid videos, including standardizing many of the existing entries, adding tons of missing ones (that as of right now aren't listed on any other anime databases, surprisingly), and added a Vocaloid tag. Moving forward we'll continue to add missing Vocaloid producers and videos, and will also add characters like Hatsune Miku more consistently to these videos (as main characters, since they sing most of the songs)

Your help needed
If you find any videos on AP that you think we've missed, let us know in this thread! Or in the anime requests thread in the future.

Special thanks
Also, special thanks goes to Tyranid5 and ZetsubouKaiji, who spent a great deal of time helping compile official youtube channel listings (which we'll soon integrate into the People entries on the site) and tracking down needed information about the videos.

Video integration features
Like the previous integrations, the same 'auto update' functionality and other resources are available. For this reason, below is a cut and paste writeup (with pictures from the Crunchyroll integration) of how you can use the video features, with Youtube-specific Q&A after.

WATCH VIDEOS DIRECTLY FROM ANIME ENTRIES:
Including videos for more obscure titles we split up separately, such as the Saki specials

sao_home.jpg

OPT IN TO 'AUTO UPDATE'
and we'll update your anime list for you when you watch a video on Anime-Planet. When you watch the last episode of a series, your status will change to 'watched', as well!

sao_auto.jpg

WATCH ANIME DIRECTLY FROM THE RECOMMENDATIONS
and filter the recommendations to only show you titles with videos

sao_recs.jpg

FILTER ANIME BY VIDEOS
(with easy 'browse all videos' button on the homepage)
coming soon: a 'videos' homepage for easier browsing and access

sao_browse.jpg

AUTO SHARE VIDEO UPDATES
Once you've linked your twitter or facebook accounts in your profile, you'll see a new option to auto share when you watch videos on the site. This is an opt-in feature.

Q&A

Is it free?
Youtube videos are free to watch.

How about region locking?
Like with any videos on the site, we only show you videos you're able to see based on your location. Most of the Youtube videos we've looked at from official channels seem to be available worldwide.

When does my list auto-update when I watch a video?
When the video loads, your list updates. We can't scan for how far into the file you are due to limitations, but hope to have better capabilities to work with this in the future. If you watch the last episode of a series, your status will change to 'watched'. we're working on letting you opt-in to auto change your status to 'watched' upon updating to the last episode from your normal anime list, as well

What are the auto updating caveats?
  • We'll never change your status from 'watched' back to 'watching'. You'll need to go manually change your status to something else if you want us to increment your episode count when watching videos.
  • If you don't have the series in your list yet, or have it in your list as any status other than 'watched' or 'watching', we'll first change your status to 'watching'.
  • We'll never subtract episodes from your list - only add. For example, if you watch Naruto episodes 1-10 on Anime-Planet and then go back and watch episode 4 again, you'll see a feed update that you watched episode 4 on Anime-Planet, but your episode count will not go back to 4; it will stay at 10.

This is a V1 feature and we're always up for hearing feedback about how to improve it.

How do videos show up in my feed?
Any time you watch a video, you'll see a new update in your feed. If you've turned on auto update, you won't see separate status updates when you watch a video. So if you watch Naruto episode 1, you'll see one feed update for 'watching Naruto episode 1 on Anime-Planet', and will NOT see a duplicated 'Watching Naruto at 1/x episodes' feed update.

I love this feature! How can I show my support for Anime-Planet?
The #1 thing you can do is to help spread the word about videos on Anime-Planet to everyone you know - whether on your anime blog, your website, on twitter/facebook, or just to your friends who love anime! Even if you know people who love anime and don't currently use the site, we'd love if you could tell others what you love about the video feature so they'll come try it out too.

Additionally, donating to the site helps directly support the servers and new features like this. And for our earlier Crunchyroll integration, signing up for a free trial and then becoming premium through any of our Crunchyroll links on Anime-Planet both directly supports the industry and helps Anime-Planet stay afloat so we can cover the pricy server costs and other expenses it takes to keep a site like this running.

Re: Anime-Planet: now with hundreds of streaming music videos and shorts! Plus Vocalo

Vocaloid! :laugh:

Great work, this is really awesome.

Re: Anime-Planet: now with hundreds of streaming music videos and shorts! Plus Vocalo

At this rate the next update would be world domination o.o Awesome update Sothis ^^

More Vocaloid?! To be honest, I've always felt guilty when adding music videos to my anime list, so I'll probably be avoiding those. Though it's still good to see them being added to the database with YouTube video streaming.

This site just gets better and better!

It's great to see Anime-Planet growing so much!!!

At this rate the next update would be world domination o.o Awesome update Sothis ^^
This may indeed be true!

Yes, big thank you for your work! I love the idea of more music stuffs on the site!

Also a shout out thank you from me to Tyranid5 and ZetsubouKaijii for their help; makes this a better place for us all.

Back