Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

T

TsubasaPhantom

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Alt title: Goodbye, Despair Teacher

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

Has anybody else seen this anime? It's SHAFT's new show, and it has a lot of kanji jokes in the first episode, so I'm wondering if they've been doing a good job subbing all the translations; either way, the first two episodes are hilarious (if you're into dark comedy). Only two episodes are out right now (subbed), and it's only scheduled for 12 (so I hear), but right now I can't get enough of it. Anybody else's opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely the best of the new summer anime, at least. I don't think I've ever laughed this much watching anime... So many good comedies this year ^_^

I watched the first two episodes of this and thought they were hilarious. However, I have a concern. If the whole show is going to be

a count of how many times each episode he tries to hang himself and how many times she misinterprets an obviously depressing situation,

then won't it get boring or even profoundly disturbing. I think it might be like catching yourself laughing or excited over a train wreck. Sure it is interesting, but laughing at catastrophe isn't generally a sign of mental health.

I'm waiting for episode 3 to show up somewhere.
I think the series is going to develop the people in the class.
I hear next week they'll be talking about the illegal immigrant.

I don't think this series is going to be a really depressed one.
He DOES say "What if I would have died?!" almost every time, so I don't think he's really committed to committing suicide.

This is, in my opinion, the best show of the summer and possibly for the entire year. It tries to be depressing, but it falls flat on it's face. Itoshiki Nozomu couldn't be funnier!

I didn't really like it after seeing 3 episodes, I couldn't stand the teacher. If you're going to kill yourself, do it, don't blame others if you fail at life.

Yeah I know, I don't get the humor they use and it's not for me. I guess I'll GTFO now.

I know I'm behind the times, but I just decided to pick this one up. So far I've only watched 2 episodes, and I think I'll like it. Not my favorite show ever, but amusing.

But, I must admit in episode 2 I laughed my ass off at
the row of stalkers.
I don't know why, it just sort of caught me by surprise (the boy I expected, but after that)... Hilarious.
:laugh:

Last edited:
Don't worry, that one killed me as well -.-' I think ep2 is prob the best one... it either gets weaker or just a bit old after that, though things seem to be improving since that drop.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm loving it, and can't wait for afk to release more eps beyond the 5th.

You really gotta read a psychiatric textbook to appreciate all the characters :laugh: spot on textbook nutjobs, all of them :P

It's really developing well :smile: More!

Yep, it'll turn out to be as great as Pani Poni Dash! comedy ... 'of the year'

I'm in love with this anime! true the humour is a tiny bit hit or miss (like you wonder if you should cringe...or laugh) but the characters, the animation, the music- everything! this show is definitley on its way to becoming my favourite anime of this year! x
:love:

Weird fun. They need to bring Rin in as a regular (later in the manga, so later in the show) and it'll be complete.

*Wooooooosh* thread is revived!

I just went on spree, first two episodes earlier this week and the remaining ten episodes were seen in the last 24 hours.

Truly great work with the animation, artwork and interesting characters..harhar.
I think I fell in love with Matoi. I wouldn't mind to have pretty girl stalking me. Daily, here, there and everywhere.

Then about the series itself, I couldn't help but to see quite heavily of "criticism hidden in the parody", I would say. Maybe I'm just thinking too much. Who knows.

I loved the humor in it, even thought it was little black at times, but it was great! I haven't had my tummy hurting this much from laughing for quite awhile.
Especially those "Kanji + Kanji = Different meaning" things. Even thought I don't study Japanese that much, I did know this much of it. Anyhow, it was indeed pleasant experience to view. Even thought there was some heavy stereotyping in the characters, I think it worked out pretty well for the series. I loved it.

Although one thing left me little curious. Last two episodes.
Is the episode 11 taking place before the incident or after? I kind of got the feeling that events in episode 12 took place before the incident in episode 11. It would make so much more sense if it did. But then again..does this series make much sense?
The series has left me in despair! >.>

Once available in a store from where I'm able to purchase the DVD box, I will so definitely get it.

Season two...here I come!...after Nanoha StrikerS!

Last edited:
Just started in on this series, man there are so many moments that i wish i could make gifs out of the subs on........Hilarious

Aye. It's in my top 5 for funniest anime (along with Azumanga Daioh, Minami-ke, Clannad and Desert Punk). Just a shame that the second season was so patchy, falling back on, what were to me, incomprehensible injokes and inane "randomness" for the sake of "randomness".

Just a shame that the second season was so patchy, falling back on, what were to me, incomprehensible injokes and inane "randomness" for the sake of "randomness".

Agreed. Season two was a step down - though I felt season one was drifting in that direction in the latter part. It's really the first eight episodes or so that are fantastic.

That said, I loved episode seven of Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.
The mishmash of multiple animation styles was brilliantly executed, IMHO. That and the Magical Girl stuff.

I felt season one was drifting in that direction in the latter part.

I totally agree. The show started off so damn good that it almost had no choice but to lose momentum/awesomesaucery. Season 2, to me, was pretty average... there were very few moments that stood out compared to Season 1

i'd say you have to have really good japanese skillZ to fully enjoy this one. there are just too many puns and jokes and explaining/reading them all in those little info-boxes really kills the fun.

Back