Ghost in the Shell: Arise

G

[sadht]Ghost in the Shell: Arise[/sadht]

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

Well 2 days ago the first episode/movie for this new series was released, I thought it fit well into the GITS universe on all levels and outside of that I still enjoyed watching it. Personally I have nothing to complain about it so far, because compared to the other GITS stuff it stacks up well and I enjoyed the others.

Anyways what do you guys think about Arise? is it good, bad, or meh.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like it has promise. First episode/movie whatever was slow but it's a new take so I expected some Universe building.

Love the OST.

Wasn't sure about the redesign of the Major but it works. Her VA is pretty good and overall it was a pretty good start.

I love Ghost in the Shell, but I am a little wary of this new series. New character designs are meh and....I just don't know how solid the plotting will be. I actually intend to watch it though.

I love Ghost in the Shell, but I am a little wary of this new series. New character designs are meh and....I just don't know how solid the plotting will be. I actually intend to watch it though.

I don't get why people got so bent about the Major. Did they see what they did to Saito? I mean, damn.

Character designs are completely fine for me now that I have seen the first OVA, the Mayor looking more 'girlish' could even derive from the fact that she may not have her 'adult' prosthetic body yet.
The plot seems quite solid too, I don't think that I will greatly disappointed with it. What I don't like is that they gave Motoko a
new story about how she became a cyborg (unless it was a fake memory they gave her), because I really liked the episode in GitS-SAC II that showed the first version

I can get used to the characters designs. Well expect for one character...

I don't get why people got so bent about the Major. Did they see what they did to Saito? I mean, damn.

Word. Looks like a biker with a bit of a baby face now to me...

Keen though I am to see Arise, I actually want to wait until they announce the dub cast first. The dub for SAC was so near perfect that I'd happily hold on for it, if they bring back the same VAs.

I know it's dubious, considering that they've recast the Japanese voices for both Kusanagi and Batou, but I'd at least like to rule it out as a possibility before I commit to anything.

Im going to wait for the dub to watch this show. The dub for Sac was amazing.
That being said, i just watched the trailer of it...."Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Another Mission"

That was some serious crap. it was just a windows tablet commercial, and not a good one at that.

Yoko isn't doing the ost either....no way this series will be as good. lol

But it could still turn out decent. I'll check it out.

Character designs are completely fine for me now that I have seen the first OVA, the Mayor looking more 'girlish' could even derive from the fact that she may not have her 'adult' prosthetic body yet.
The plot seems quite solid too, I don't think that I will greatly disappointed with it. What I don't like is that they gave Motoko a
new story about how she became a cyborg (unless it was a fake memory they gave her), because I really liked the episode in GitS-SAC II that showed the first version

Yeah, pretty much exactly the same thoughts from me as well. It was pretty good, but it could have used an extra 20 minutes or so because the conclusion to the mystery seemed a tad rushed.

I loved it. GITS arise is a step in a new direction and i like it. finally showing us motoko's life just before section 9 and the artwork is just great as always. cant wait for border 2: ghost whisperers.

They used an entirely new voice cast for the Japanese release so I can only imagine they don't intend on using the same VA's for the dub.

I wasn't too keen on the way they changed Mokoto Kusanagi's appearance - making her more teenager looking - but the story was fairly well done and everyone elses appearances; Batou, Borma, Saito, Ishikawa, Chief Aramaki etc., all remain fairly similar to SAC and the movies. So its not as if they are completely bastardizing everything you have come to love about the GitS artform.

The plot however is pretty cool IMO, it is as complex as I would expect from a GitS show/movie and it offers some depth of thinking for the viewer. Cant wait for the 3rd episode of it this June. I kinda like the idea of the 'transitional' period between Mokoto's Army service into the Section 9 group. Pretty well done for a prequel.

rewatching arise ,,,,, in english this time
tbh the sub i watched a few months back was well not a very good one
(actully theres a whole thread disscussion tobe had about sub's imo professional subs and fan subs then split fan subs into 3, direct word for word translation , bad subs that dont make sense and good subs that rival the pro stuff)

i have to say its kinda odd hearing kusenagis sac voice coming out of the woman with the big cleavage

but once i got over it , it was ok
seeing how section 9 came about is kool
yes motoko does look a little young
also theres lots of time line stuff that fills out the gits world witch is nice
in arise cyborgs arnt as ubiquitous as in gits witch i presume is 5 or 10 years later
anyway im rly enjoying it atm

Finished the second movie, I like the little details.
I've always thought the GitS would be better as a series, rather than one movie.
As a cyber thriller, this is a fun anime. It doesn't demand too much, and the story works.
I enjoy how the Logicoma is voiced like a little boy.

Back