Afro Samurai

I wondered too which is why I watched it a few nights ago. It is definitely an anime. It's gives me a samurai shamploo feel to it, artistic wise. And i believe a few of writers or artists that did shamploo helped with afro.

afro samurai is an anime, its an animation of Japanese orgin. It prob confuses people prob because of the theme and use of American voice actors like samuel jackson.

Its just a hybrid anime combines black hip-hop culture with ancient Japanese culture in a similar way to samurai champloo does NYC meets EDO. However i think afro samurai takes It takes it abit further then champloo. in the style and musical sense champloo is more old b-boy style hip-hop, an example is mugens b-boy/ capoeira approach to battle.

afro samurai sort of plays on the stereotypes of black/asian cultures if you are familiar with the 80s action Jackson style black exploitation movies or old kungfu movies this movie sort of makes a play on that. The music is hardcore hip-hop Wu-tang stuff complied by RZA which sort of complements the heritage.

As wutang is notorious for rough beats with dubbed samples from kungfu movies and such.

The storyline is a simple revenge story with all the cliché' elements and randomness of black exploitation and kungfu movies of the time. So its a very cheesy plot with allot of history, its been done like this on purpose..lol

I agree you can definitely identify this as anime. Anime is very unique compared to the western style of creating animations. Japanese anime pays more attention to detail and has a more realistic look, not to mention as the storyplot.

and I really dough you would see western animation with a samurai sword. like come on, do you expect angelica from Rugrats to be slicing and dicing

This was my first of 2 animes that I saw that were American/Japaneses collaborations (the other being Highlander)

And I have to say, apart from the English voices-overs that threw me off at first (i normally watch my anime in Japanese) this was surprisingly entertaining. Although the story was pretty unoriginal (hatred stimulated by the desire for revenge) the animation was truly unbelievable!!

I bought the Collector's box and have pre-ordered the complete set of figurines. It will look amazing in my collection *claps excitedly*

http://www.thecomicbookshoppe.com/i...D=40&WCID=61B4E124-9BB7-410D-8485ED4D7EE258EA

This was my first of 2 animes that I saw that were American/Japaneses collaborations (the other being Highlander)

And I have to say, apart from the English voices-overs that threw me off at first (i normally watch my anime in Japanese) this was surprisingly entertaining. Although the story was pretty unoriginal (hatred stimulated by the desire for revenge) the animation was truly unbelievable!!

I bought the Collector's box and have pre-ordered the complete set of figurines. It will look amazing in my collection *claps excitedly*

http://www.thecomicbookshoppe.com/i...D=40&WCID=61B4E124-9BB7-410D-8485ED4D7EE258EA

Collaborations.. only the directors where collab, all the animation was by the infamous GONZO.

but yeah, i might consider buy the box. after last exile and NGE

1010rikku.. your so cool
meh

I think I'm more excited to display my box-set and figurines than watching the series again :P

I'm a consumer whore :(

I just noticed here, Afro Samurai has alittle bit of steampunk reference in it.

Yes sure it doesn't have steam or the victorian settings, but I did my reading and steampunk is basically the time setting with technology surpasing that time settings..

e.g in afro samurai, edo periods with cell phones.
Steamboy, the tank during the 1800s
Last exile - flying ships, yet they still use old fashion muskets.

I have heard of it and I think its a pretty cool show! I plan on getting this one really soon.

yes its anime the story was written by some American...lol don't remember who...Gonzzo did the animation....the story was nothing special but the animation was sick

i thought it was cool, but some of the fights where a little too one sided. but other than that it was cool.

but is it a real anime? like most of u i also wondered that for a while.

the animation was good, but everything else was terrible :/ i read each episode's budget was like $1mil.... terrible lol

Why did I buy it and watch it? To hear Samual L. doing what he does, yelling of course. That and I knew it was going to be mindless action, which makes for the best action.

he plays two people,

it's ironic what you said because the person who does most, well all the killing, doesn't yell or SCREAMS "I'm SAMUAL L JACKSON".

he just has some little party time with the hot girl
(Ep 4)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I knew that going into it. I wouldn't have been as interested in it if it wasn't for his "friend." He was the Samual L. I like, well I would've also been happy to hear the Samual L. from Pulp Fiction.

Back