Introducing custom character lists

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
I'd like to introduce the V1 version of custom character lists. There's some things I'd like to add in the future, please keep in mind that this is the initial version :)

You can add character lists the same way you add anime/manga lists:

1. You need to have the character in your profile already, either as love or hate
2. Go to your 'lists' tab in your profile
3. Click the new button to add a character list

By default, 'loves' are displayed. To show hates, you need to click the hate button and 'apply filter'. The filter bar is a bit of a hack right now (and was the easiest option to get in place quickly - still took 2 days @_@). There's no toggle yet, so if you want to switch back to loves from hates, make sure 'hates' isn't selected/green, and then click loves/apply filter. Right now there's no way to display both loves/hates at once.

Beyond that, you can order them as usual, just like anime/manga lists.

Things I know about/would like to add in the future:

1. Better filters like on the character browse, to filter by tags/hair color/etc (this might take awhile to add but I'd like to eventually)

2. Some sort of hover to show you the image/anime the characters are in, while creating your list. This is not a small task - for now, I suggest having another tab open to your love/hate list, so you can easily see which chars you're adding

3. Better url strings for any custom list

Also, the lists aren't showing up right now in the CHARACTER entries. I'll work on that next.

I hope you enjoy this new feature, took me awhile to do. :) If you like the feature, please consider donating to the site. The site isn't doing well $-wise, ad money isn't plentiful and we're basically breaking even on being able to just keep the servers/bills running. This makes it really difficult to move the site forward, makes it impossible to upgrade the servers when needed, etc. Anything you can donate helps a lot!

And finally, I leave you with my first custom list, as promised on facebook/twitter ;)

Characters I want to punch in the face for being so abrasively annoying - by sothis

Oh, man. So many things I can think of doing with this. Thanks, sothis. Definitely a new favorite feature.

I do apologize for how crappy it is when making the lists, without images/etc. Definitely something I'd like to add asap, just wanted to get it out the door first :) (and with another tab open to your chars list, it makes it easier)

I think I may also add love functionality for custom lists (all types), maybe even commenting

Thanks for putting this together, I am sure it took a lot of time and effort.

that it did :) would apprec if everyone could spread the word and tell your friends about the feature!

I may also finally add a 'reason' field for each list item, and display it plus more info about the entry (anime info, char info, etc) on the view list pages

Only 4 replies from the entire site! :( I thought more people would be excited about this feature, it gets requested a lot

The character list is interfering with the anime list. when I select another page of anime selections, it randomly shows characters I liked

*.* don't worry sothis overlord-sama
After exame's season people will start paying more attention :D
I already have 3 character lists I want to do:

Most anoying
Most Kawai
and (drum rolls pls) EPIC ( . )( . ) XD

good work, have alot of ideas. on character list but then I noticed that there were already anime and manga list here to. I never seen them before so it's all just as new to me as the character list.

Only 4 replies from the entire site! :( I thought more people would be excited about this feature, it gets requested a lot

its a great addition. sorry for not being so vocal about it. i usually lurk the threads but wanted to make it clear that your work is appreciated. love this site and dont know of any others like it. the lifetime bar is by far my favourite feature.

Back