Gintama

Just started watching this recently; extremely funny, but also serious when needed to be, as in around episode 100 (Discord arc) The end almost made me...
...want to cry.

Haven't caught up to the ongoing episodes, but hopefully this anime won't end with this 4th year.

I also only picked this up recently after putting it on hold for some odd reason. Currently at episode 50 and have been laughing like an idiot in almost every single episode. This one covered the characters' ideas of what to do to improve the show and was absolutely hilarious. Katsura and Gintoki costplaying as characters from the Rose of Versailles was priceless. This is one of the few comedies that actually is amusing and more hit than miss despite its longevity.
I have a lot of catching up to do.

lulz this show certainly is epic on a totally different level. they make so much fun of EVERYTHING it is purely amazing. i can't believe there isn't a much wider humpage of this show hahaha

Cause most kiddies are too busy humping Bleach and Shippooden...

The 2005 Gintama Jump Festa is now in the database too, and I highly recommend a watching. Not laughed that hard in a while.

H.

I'm around ep 30 something of this show and i fuckin love it!

Gin has to be the single most funniest dude ever! And the rest of the cast is great too!

Cannot wait to see more, watching this with a mate so it's going pretty slow right now but hope to watch more soon.

Wow, took me ages finding this thread, I even thought that there wasn't one for this and I was like WHAT NO THREAD FOR GINTAMA???!!

Anyway...back to gintama...Gintama is probably one of my best anime, I mean it has ALMOST everything in it:

Many interesting characters which never fail to entertain
Lots of eps
Action
Some romance
Comedy
Aliens o.o
(loads more genres, just can't think of anymore atm xD)
And even with all that it manages to include some tear jerking episodes WITH meaning/moral, which is just amazing, but whats EVEN BETTER is that once you get depressed about a sad arc, the comedy just makes you spring right back up. I seriously hope this anime never ends >_<

gintama is certainly one of the greatest things ever. only thing that sucks is that the subs take a while to come out.

I don't really know what's the deal with calling Gintama a ''parody anime'' ._.

An anime who lives on by parodying doesn't reach more than 180 chaps, you know. Besides, it DOES have parodies, but they appear from time to time, it's not a very usual resort at all. Gintama's comedy is just a genuine mixture between intelligent and absurd humors which matches my ''laugh tastes'' perfectly. The series which reminds me of Gintama the most in the way the humor is developped is Gag Manga Biyori. This one may be more random-like and less of the other thing, but I can totally tell they're similar.

I have the feeling of having been watching a completely different series, I mean it...

Anyway, Gintama is awesome, I just hope they won't stop doing the anime at the end of the 4th year... I'm concerned because of how they don't care about getting really close to the manga (or so it seems). If someone follows both, as me, will have seen they are already going to animate an arc starting in 275 in the manga (which has 291 so far), and they'll surely send this 5-chapter-long arc in just 2 or 3 anime episodes. Then, there are only two more individual chapters and then another arc finished just two weeks ago (282-289), which will probably be animated in just 3 or 4 chaps...

The only things due to I think they won't stop production are the overwhelming popularity and the upcoming movie (*¬*)

Let's pray, Gintama fans TT_TT

P.S.: I'm done with the ''Gintama's anime will end next week'' joke xDDD.

I don't really know what's the deal with calling Gintama a ''parody anime'' ._.

An anime who lives on by parodying doesn't reach more than 180 chaps, you know. Besides, it DOES have parodies, but they appear from time to time, it's not a very usual resort at all. Gintama's comedy is just a genuine mixture between intelligent and absurd humors which matches my ''laugh tastes'' perfectly. The series which reminds me of Gintama the most in the way the humor is developped is Gag Manga Biyori. This one may be more random-like and less of the other thing, but I can totally tell they're similar.

I have the feeling of having been watching a completely different series, I mean it...

Anyway, Gintama is awesome, I just hope they won't stop doing the anime at the end of the 4th year... I'm concerned because of how they don't care about getting really close to the manga (or so it seems). If someone follows both, as me, will have seen they are already going to animate an arc starting in 275 in the manga (which has 291 so far), and they'll surely send this 5-chapter-long arc in just 2 or 3 anime episodes. Then, there are only two more individual chapters and then another arc finished just two weeks ago (282-289), which will probably be animated in just 3 or 4 chaps...

The only things due to I think they won't stop production are the overwhelming popularity and the upcoming movie (*¬*)

Let's pray, Gintama fans TT_TT

P.S.: I'm done with the ''Gintama's anime will end next week'' joke xDDD.

because its a shounen parody.

I think every shounen anime stereotype has been crammed into gitama.

Don't confuse ''parody-plot'' with ''parody-anime''... Since Gintama is the first one, considering the plot mixtures the samurai era with sci-fi and the characters aren't what you would expect in your usual shonen (again, it's a COMEDY), but NOT the second one. It does have traces of parody all along, I won't deny something that obvious, but it doesn't make Gintama a parody anime AT ALL. Reason? The series has MUCH more to offer rather than only simple parodies of another manganime, leaving the parody stuff as a secondary humor tool. Gintama is an entity of its own, with its unique development (slow, though), hilarious characters (some of them barely history-based; the most of them NOT a single bit), serious battles, etc.

Would you consider any other anime with those characteristics a parody anime? I would not.

But oh well, since that opinion is so spread all over the net I won't struggle anymore to give mine...

Don't confuse ''parody-plot'' with ''parody-anime''... Since Gintama is the first one, considering the plot mixtures the samurai era with sci-fi and the characters aren't what you would expect in your usual shonen (again, it's a COMEDY), but NOT the second one. It does have traces of parody all along, I won't deny something that obvious, but it doesn't make Gintama a parody anime AT ALL. Reason? The series has MUCH more to offer rather than only simple parodies of another manganime, leaving the parody stuff as a secondary humor tool. Gintama is an entity of its own, with its unique development (slow, though), hilarious characters (some of them barely history-based; the most of them NOT a single bit), serious battles, etc.

Would you consider any other anime with those characteristics a parody anime? I would not.

But oh well, since that opinion is so spread all over the net I won't struggle anymore to give mine...

well parody has a pretty specific definition

from wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody

A parody (pronounced /ˈpærədiː/; also called send-up or spoof), in contemporary usage, is a work created to mock, comment on, or poke fun at an original work, its subject, author, style, or some other target, by means of humorous, satiric or ironic imitation. As the literary theorist Linda Hutcheon (2000: 7) puts it, "parody … is imitation, not always at the expense of the parodied text." Another critic, Simon Dentith (2000: 9), defines parody as "any cultural practice which provides a relatively polemical allusive imitation of another cultural production or practice." Often, the most satisfying element of a good parody is seeing others mistake it for the genuine article.​

Gintama falls squarely within that definition. Now.. the world is pretty original, and the characters are original creations through mixing a number of shounen stereotypes together... but the anime itself is clearly a parody of shounen anime, japanese pop culture, modern movies... and pretty much anything else it wants to lampoon.

it looks to me that you see the same thing i saw when i watched Gintama but you don't like the definition of parody because you think it cheapens an anime that's clearly unique. Personally, i think Gintama is a brilliant parody, i don't see the word as a pejorative, nor should you. When i watch a satire and enjoy it i don't hesitate to call it a satire. when i watch a parody and enjoy it i don't hesitate to call it a parody. All it is, is an accurate word to describe the type of comedy its prominently based on. Sure Gintama has some satire, and farce and a bit of slapstick as well, but in the end it's pretty much a parody anime.

I just got done watching another great parody anime, Seitokai no Ichizon. I don't think that it's cheaper for the label. it was freaking brilliant.

And as you could see if you went to the Ichizon thread, I also liked it a lot.

It's not like I think a 'parody' tag cheapens an anime, it's just that I don't think of Gintama as a parody itself (I think so about Ichizon, though), just regarding the aspects I said before (plot, scenery, main character's personality, etc). Maybe the thing I disagree with the most is to call it a parody humor-wise, since like I said it has much more to offer than that.

However, I see why you would call Gintama a parody anime and respect it.

Gintama has it all: comedy, drama, good plot, character development (tons of characters) and a so far good story.

one of my most favorite random animes next to lucky star and FLCL. it's still ongoing last I checked and I loved it since the strawberry milk skit a friend of mine showed me. it's cute and adorable and it's a good find if you want to watch a random anime, that is funny as heck and most entertaining about...well...nothing and everything

The anime is going to end pretty soon, though...

It's said there are only 6 chapters left TT_TT But there's hope that they'll continue the series in the near future.

Yeah... That number count down in the episode titles. I really hope its another lie from Gin, but I have a feeling that it really will end.

There is a rumor, though, that its only taking a break.

Back