Anime-Planet's stance on harassment

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
I generally try to keep site announcements to exciting new features, calls for feedback and other positive things about the community. Unfortunately, today I need to post something a little different, but more important - Anime-Planet's stance on harassment on the site.

Something I've always valued and appreciated is Anime-Planet's community - we generally are a respectful, inclusive bunch. and have been relatively free of trolls. Something I personally try to focus on is ensuring that all users can expect the following when visiting Anime-Planet:

1. All users are entitled and allowed to post their opinions, as long as the opinions are respectful and are not personal attacks on another user - whether the opinion be via a recommendation, review, discussion thread post, etc.
  2. All users are entitled to these opinions without being bullied or harassed by any other site user or moderator.

I've banned very few (non spambot) people on the site in the entire site's history - most of which were related to the above items, and all of which were after a repeated set of chances on good faith. Today was another one of those rare days, and rather than keep it hidden away, I think it's important to post something public to reiterate these values. The reason being, even more concerning than this person's long term behavior is the fact that others have begun acting the same, leaving disrespectful, bullying comments on reviews and also profiles when prompted to as a group.

I believe doing so erodes the amazing community spirit we have here, discourages people to participate, and encourages the same bad behavior that has infected other communities out there. I believe that it doesn't matter how much content someone adds to the site - if they do so with a mean spirited or self righteous mindset, it is far more damaging to the community than the content contributes to it.

So that everyone here can feel empowered to post their opinions and participate in the community here as equals, I want to be clear that bullying and harassment are not tolerated here by any user, whether a normal user or moderator alike.

If you feel that you've been the target of harassment, the right solution is to contact the staff so that it can be investigated or so action can be taken. The right solution is not to go on a campaign to bully someone.

If you feel that reviews or recommendations aren't helpful (for example, that reviews are too short or 'are not reviews'), you are welcome to leave feedback in the feature requests section of the forum - currently there are plans to make the review section more helpful, for example. The right solution is not to go onto those reviews and attack the reviewer, say the review is shit, etc. If action needs to be taken, that's the staff's job to carry out.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask or voice them - part of what makes the community here amazing is that people are free to respectfully express what they wish.

Your loyal leader,
~sothis

Something else I forgot to mention is that if you're reporting something like this, please do not delete the content (review comment, profile comment, etc) first, as I need to see the content to be able to help.

As someone who has been following discussion in newspapers, magazines, and online fora about online bullying, and feels very very passionately about the issue, I can only reiterate that AP is one of those places I've always felt had struck the right tone.

Online harrassment/bullying is harmful to real life people and is totally not okay under any circumstances. It is not funny or cool or in any way part of 'freedom of expression'. So bravo to sothis for continuing to uphold a culture of mutual respect at Anime-Planet. Why I continue to love this place.

sothis is more than fair and more than tolerant of peoples rights to free expression...you really have to be asking ...no demanding to be banned before she will accommodated your obvious desire not to be part of this community...i'm glad i don't have this task ....i would not be nearly as nice as sothis is....her creation of anime planet and keeping it a place were every one can feel that they are respected and valued is an amazing accomplishment...this is why i support anime planet in every way i can....

If it's who I think it is, I'm glad you made this move. And apparently they were banned from MAL recently as well so at least they're consistent. I have no remorse for punishments taken to people like that. However, I have to wonder if anything is stopping them from coming back. I would rather not see their shenanigans in Specific Anime Discussions continue.

I cannot say that I have noticed this. Though I have not been looking either. I am sure we all feel similarly upset when you watch an awesome anime or read a great manga then read a review that expresses the exact opposite opinion. But most of us acknowledge it as just that, their opinion. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we disagree, but most of the time we accept the difference and move on. It is unfortunate that some people are not open to different opinions.

I will be writing up a few reviews during the Christmas season. They are going to be my first ones, so I guess we will see how bad it can be; I am a horrible writer. D:

I welcome improvements and clear standpoint regarding that issue.
Speaking of contact, I have sent you an E-Mail on Nov. 3rd covering various topics, but i still hope that it actually made it to the inbox and being read.

Very rare sight nowadays! (nearly no bans!)
Hope it never happens again!

there is no reason for people to act any less than civil ...if they can't accomplish this onerous task...well sothis will act for the good of us all....this i have no problem with...

Yes, harassment is a really big issue even online. I remember a case on another forum I sometimes visit... This is not really "harassment" in the same way, but it clearly shows that what people say online can have real life consequences.
You might have heard of it, it is about the case of LurifaxFlux on the Swedish forum Flashback.
He created a thread saying he would hang himself, people responded as strangers on the net do: "Go ahead", "You won't do it, you're a coward", "Do iiiiit!", etc, etc.
The result? He did it. Not only SAID he did it and never returned to the forum, he actually live-streamed the event. (I do have a link to it but I won't post it, it's totally NSFW)

I think this really shows that it is important that we treat each other with respect even online.

This is not really "harassment" in the same way, but it clearly shows that what people say online can have real life consequences.

I think this really shows that it is important that we treat each other with respect even online.

If they could tell he was serious those people should have definitely had more of a conscience.

At the same time I would never put the online community on the pedestal of Caesar and let them control my fate with their thumb. The decision is clear before you even have a chance to ask.

I agree in both principle and practice with this assertion of site policy; actions with an exclusively disruptive effect on the community cannot be accepted.

I disagree vehemently, however, with attempts to moralise the issue and others like it. I believe that such attempts detract from and undermine the core message.

I agree in both principle and practice with this assertion of site policy; actions with an exclusively disruptive effect on the community cannot be accepted.

I disagree vehemently, however, with attempts to moralise the issue and others like it. I believe that such attempts detract from and undermine the core message.

not sure what you mean by this......

I mean that I do not much like these posts:
As someone who has been following discussion in newspapers, magazines, and online fora about online bullying, and feels very very passionately about the issue, I can only reiterate that AP is one of those places I've always felt had struck the right tone.

Online harrassment/bullying is harmful to real life people and is totally not okay under any circumstances. It is not funny or cool or in any way part of 'freedom of expression'. So bravo to sothis for continuing to uphold a culture of mutual respect at Anime-Planet. Why I continue to love this place.
Yes, harassment is a really big issue even online. I remember a case on another forum I sometimes visit... This is not really "harassment" in the same way, but it clearly shows that what people say online can have real life consequences.
You might have heard of it, it is about the case of LurifaxFlux on the Swedish forum Flashback.
He created a thread saying he would hang himself, people responded as strangers on the net do: "Go ahead", "You won't do it, you're a coward", "Do iiiiit!", etc, etc.
The result? He did it. Not only SAID he did it and never returned to the forum, he actually live-streamed the event. (I do have a link to it but I won't post it, it's totally NSFW)

More properly, some part of the sentiment that they represent (deliberately or not) strikes me as not quite on the mark, so to speak. If you would like me to further elaborate, perhaps this conversation would be better continued in private (and that is an open invitation, not just one to the old man).

if you believe that there is not a culture of mutual respect here, then i'd ask request that you please bring the issues up with me instead of saying vague statements and implications and then asking people to follow up with you privately.

i think there is a culture of mutual respect here ...and i also believe that we ....the users of this site...also look out for each other not out of a desire to strike out at transgressors but rather as a desire to help or protect and support our own....i know when someone insults ot assaults one of the people i know ...it make me both sad and mad....and i just want to do what i can to support the member under attack...even stuff in the private live of users affects me deeply when they have either joy or sorrow....am i nuts for feeling this way??? if so i don't want a cure...

No, I didn't think I would be that hurt from people people harassing me online, but then my ex-stepmom and her daughter started in on me on Twitter. It's degrading and infuriating. If anyone I cared about was to undergo this, I would be really angry and upset. I love this site and the fact that sothis put this up. Even though I act all dominatrix like, I really care about the people behind the avatars.

Back