Haibane Renmei

PockyBebop

Haibane Renmei

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

This is something that I happened to think of one day:
What if the town of Guri/Glee in Haibane Renmei is one big symbolism for Limbo, the waiting place between Heaven and Hell? I mean, before Kuu went on her day of flight, which is basically entering into Heaven, she lived in the Old Home with all the other main female Haibane. Also, with Reki being a sinbound Haibane, the more her wings turn black, the closer she is into totally entering her own personal Hell.

You are welcomed to add your own thoughts and clarify the subject!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Haibane Renmei: Does Guri/Glee = Limbo?

Then what are all the people who live in the town represent?

I could give pages and pages what I think about this since Im a huge fan of Haibane Renmei but I think this person has summed up best (which concur with my own thoughts) the anime.

The city of Glie
http://cff.ssw.net/episodes/glie.htm

What are the Haibane
http://cff.ssw.net/episodes/haibane.htm

This page talks about the symbolisms.
http://cff.ssw.net/main/symbolism.htm

Hope some of this may be helpful, but remember its still all speculation as we are never told by the author.

I remember in an interview I read somehwere that aBe said that he didn't really take inspiration from Christianity or any other religion; I'm led to believe that's probably true. I can't see Haibane as something that was made with any definite "answer" in mind; rather I've always felt it to be largely interpretive. Not entirely - I mean, it's hard not to see it as some sort of afterlife - but for the most part the details are such that can be looked at any number of different ways.

For my part, I actually make an effort to avoid coming to any particular answer or line of reasoning. I feel like having it "solved" in one's mind would sort if tarnish the beauty of the work, or something along those lines -.-'

I think one should come up with their own idea, and not compare it to a religion like that guy from ssw.net did, else you will get the wrong idea just like he did.

For my part, I actually make an effort to avoid coming to any particular answer or line of reasoning. I feel like having it "solved" in one's mind would sort if tarnish the beauty of the work, or something along those lines -.-'

I completely agree. I absolutely loved Haibane Renmei, but I've made a point not to try to analyze it. In fact, regardless of all its inherent symbolism, I made a point to take it almost exclusively at face value, as even at that its storytelling and emotional impact are superb. Trying to delve too deep into its roots would feel as if I were perverting my enjoyment, so I tend to try to avoid doing so whenever possible.

Being an engineer I've been hardwired to find meaning and explanation to everything. Thus is one of the reasons why I like this series so much cause it leaves a lot open to interpretation and discussion. It may be best to take something at "face value" but I have to figure out everything, what it means, and how it all correlates to each other. In other words it makes me think.

I certainly see where you're coming from Deus; I'm a (studying) engineer myself. However, I'm also an author, and when it comes to my appreciation of things such as anime, I tend to focus more on the art of storytelling rather than the inspiration behind it. That's what I meant about taking series at "face value."

I also agree with you that anime that make you think are best - Kino no Tabi is another great example. Personally, though, I tend to avoid trying to dig too deeply into the author's philosophy behind his work, especially considering eastern philosophy is a turnoff for me to begin with.

I'm not sure I agree about taking stories at face value and merely recognizing that there is symbolism in it. Sure delving into the story and trying to get some symbolic meaning out of it is much dirtier and less elegant than simply enjoying the catchy soundbytes, but I don't believe that it adulterates the story at all. Even if the author didn't intend for any symbolic meaning to exist in the work, I believe that if one is found, then it is still valid.
As far as the Guri/Glee goes, I didn't get the impression over the series that going outside the wall was anything like going to heaven, or dieing or whatever. Rather, to me it felt like they treated the act as literally going over the wall and just ending up outside the town. I suppose then the town could be more like the home where one grows up, and its citizens like parents. Going over the wall could be like leaving the protection of one's parents or going into the "grown up" world. This is supported by the halos falling off, as it would mean that they no longer need its guidance.

Also the recognition of their true name could similarly relate to the search for a sense of identity that is generally associated with adolescence. That is a pretty simple explaination, but I think it is tenable.

I'm not sure I agree about taking stories at face value and merely recognizing that there is symbolism in it. Sure delving into the story and trying to get some symbolic meaning out of it is much dirtier and less elegant than simply enjoying the catchy soundbytes, but I don't believe that it adulterates the story at all. Even if the author didn't intend for any symbolic meaning to exist in the work, I believe that if one is found, then it is still valid.

I suppose, but it depends on your motives. Because most anime that aim to be largely symbolic tend to indoctrinate themselves with similar philosophies to those found in eastern mysticism, I try to avoid prying too deeply into their "true" meanings. As I mentioned before, what I found most appealing about Haibane Renmei was its masterful telling of its story and the fact that its symbolism was natural rather than forced, and I'd hesitate in labeling that as merely enjoying soundbytes. Personally, I don't correlate breaking down symbolism with intellectual validity - just because a work is symbolic does not mean that its symbolism should be dissected. I'm not disputing the validity of breaking down symbolism in the appreciation of a work, but rather noting that the refusal to break said symbolism down is equally as intellectually valid (and prosperous, in my opinion.) I dealt with enough existentialist symbolism in analyzing Albert Camus' The Stranger to last me a life time back when I was in high school. :P

Yes, I do see a point there. Unless one feels compelled to tear apart a work to analyze the symbolism, or is trying to talk intelligently about it, as in a technical paper or something, it really isn't necessary to put too much thought into the philosophy and it probably won't cause much more enjoyment.

I would certainly agree Haibane Renmei is very natural with its philosophical messages, and doesn't force itself onto anyone, much like mushi-shi or kino no tabi. It is a much different experience than watching, say, NGE.

I just finished the series. Here's a few of my questions:

1.) What is the purpose of the halos?

2.) What are the toga (traders)?

3.) If this is some form of the afterlife, why aren't there any elderly haibane?

4.) If this is some form of the afterlife, what's the deal with the townspeople?

5.) Who built/maintains/governs the town?

6.) Okay, so they have lightbulbs, but find a way over the wall?

7.) Why are some of the small children boys, but none of the older kids (at old home)? Do they just send them off to live at Abandoned Factory once they hit puberty?

8.) If someone asks how old a haibane is, how do they answer? What if they just hatched, but look and act like a teenager?

Alright, that's it for now. Please, any ideas are welcome!

I just finished the series. Here's a few of my questions:
[...]
Those few of these which are supposed to be asked, aren't supposed to be answered.

3.) If this is some form of the afterlife, why aren't there any elderly haibane?
There are, watch carefully.
7.) Why are some of the small children boys, but none of the older kids (at old home)? Do they just send them off to live at Abandoned Factory once they hit puberty?
When did boys have to be sent?
Apparently they don't, but see sentence above.
8.) If someone asks how old a haibane is, how do they answer?
Should they answer at all? If they do, however they want.

I finished the series a few months ago, and I really enjoyed it. It has inspired me to look through other works of Yoshitoshi ABe, including the "Robot" manga art series.

What I got out of Haibane Renmei was not so much the physical nature of the setting, but the strong themes of forgiveness that were prevalent throughout the series. I think Rakka and Reki both had to be forgiven to continue their paths, whether that was a path after death, or just some kind of soul path.

Yeah the story is based heavy on inter journeys. The transition of one mental state to another. The Anime and Manga explorers the personalities and attributes to each character without even giving major details to their history beside the
dream

wow a lot of talk and detailed disscusion already.
i havent seen this series yet but ill start tommarow with the group.

wow a lot of talk and detailed disscusion already.
i havent seen this series yet but ill start tommarow with the group.

lol yeah it looks like it was pretty covered. I am going to have to avoid a lot of the talk for it earlier. =)

Back