Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror

runpsicat

Forum Moderator
Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

This series (or omnibus?) is similar to Hundred Stories in terms of dark/complex plot, though not as twisted. I love it! (Yes, there is death galore :D) It's so awesome that I'm prompted to make my very first recommendation after it gets added to the database, now that I've seen enough dark series to make one... >_>;;

The avant-garde OP and awesome ED theme songs are also worth a listen.

:drinking:

Re: Ayakashi

I'm just going to stress that even if eps 1-8 didn't captivate you, eps 9-11 are on a whole new level and are definitely worth a look, even if you have no intention of watching the other two stories (eps 1-4 = first story; eps 5-8 = second story) in the series. Yes, I know there are no fansubs released of these episodes yet, but they're just so awesome I must post! Don't miss these eps! Marvelous execution of an awesome horror plot!

Someone please release these eps ;___;

I like this anime, but as you said, no subs for the later episodes.
It's too bad.

I am currently watching this series... although I am not current at this time. I have watched the first story Yotsuya Kaidan. This series is pretty all around incredible to me. I like horror for starters, but I also like the fact that all the stories are based on a collection of Edo period "ghost stories". Dunno if anyone else has been following it yet... but there are fansubs that are available, with a few different video formats (I have seen MKV, XviD avi, and h.something or other). It's been really good so far, and I just haven't had enough time to view the latest completed story.

I am really enjoying this series. I am glad I stumbled upon this thread to make me take a look.

First story was interesting. Although I found it a bit repetitive for some reason, making the torture last longer?

Second story was a change of pace.

Third story was awsome. It really impressed me.

Last edited:
Re: Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror *

This anime hold a lot of enjoyment value for me being an old horror buff as I am. The last arc was the best one, both stylistically and storyline wise. The middle arc was weakest as well and the first arc was quite interesting and had a nice eerie animation to it.

If you liked this anime you should definitely watch the follow up, Mononoke. It's about the medicine seller again, told in three or so different acts. It was also quite enjoyable, especially the last one.

Fortunately I can show nothing but support for the series. I think it's the perfect inroduction to horror anime given the scope, depth and visuals that differ so immensly with each arc. I agree with LeaT and would also recommend (as I have in the anirecs - full description there) for anyone who did enjoy the final arc to watch the series entitled 'Mononoke'. For me the first tale despite my undying love for the final arc was ultimately the most intrigueing and disturbing - the only thing I've ever seen come close in terms of disturbing, intense horror theme would have to be the second episode of 'Requiem from the Darkness'.

I look forward to the day when I can recommend a horror fan outside of the realms of anime the series as an introduction to some of the great horror that the anime world has produced, regardless of the fact that it is a genre less explored than others.

Aye, the first arc was truly disturbing and was really looking deep into how wicked man can be. Mononoke is definitely strongly recommended to those that like more romantic horror such as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, H. P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe.

It lives up to its name - it's definitely horror. It was too horrific for milady. That said, I love the animation. Of course, I'm a sucker for original animation anywhere (which accounts for my enjoyment of Hidamari Sketch and even ef-a tale of memories).

Episodes 1-4

I didn't really enjoy the first half of this. Tragedies just don't work for me if I can't connect or feel for the characters on any level. The last two episodes were a lot better imo, and I especially enjoyed the 4th episode.
They finally started showing some horror there, instead of a supernatural drama. The final scene with death basically everywhere was good. The 3rd episode had some decent tragedy as well.
And finally, the little talk afterward was nice. Although they tried very hard (and failed) to make it all sound very sinister, it did gave a bit of a backstory, which is never a bad thing with these kind of adaptions.

Watched the first four episodes. Didn't like it very much, I thought it was better. Character design and graphic is just "sufficient" while the story isn't so "kabuki" as I expected (as a matter of fact I barely know what is kabuki, but I thought it was different). And the opening is horrible. I expected this to be equal or better than Shigurui, maybe it's this the reason for my delusion.
Anyway I'll comment better tomorrow (now I'm quite tired).
I read that someone in the group has problems to follow more than two episodes a day, do we want to watch two episodes instead of four for the next stories?

I liked it a lot... I like the artistry of it and at first it didn't make sense so I kept watching it to see how the story unravels and I grew to like it. Though, I don't love it. It was entertaining, then again, I'm easily entertained. If something doesn't entertain me, then it's a lost cause usually.

Watched the first four episodes. Didn't like it very much, I thought it was better. Character design and graphic is just "sufficient" while the story isn't so "kabuki" as I expected (as a matter of fact I barely know what is kabuki, but I thought it was different). And the opening is horrible. I expected this to be equal or better than Shigurui, maybe it's this the reason for my delusion.
Anyway I'll comment better tomorrow (now I'm quite tired).
I read that someone in the group has problems to follow more than two episodes a day, do we want to watch two episodes instead of four for the next stories?

I might have to agree. Felt a little like it could have been Darker than Black mixed with Elfin Lied, in the first 2 episodes.

he slices, he dices, and random people fall apart.
The opening like you said was meh.
BUT like Omurqi said; after the first 2 episodes it seems to get better.

Right about when the "Rei" like Koane tells him what a Ayakashi is and
is seen crying, about the death, it felt a little more like a real story was going to happen.
I only got to ep 3. I Will see 3 tomorrow. =)

Ep 5&6

This series still isn't really holding my attention, but comparing the episodes, 6 was better than 5.
That demon-laughter is just so annoying. I'm just hoping we won't be seeing any of them anymore after the fight they got into
Thinking about the first arc, and now the second, it really feels like a book-adaption, one in which the book probably is a lot better.
I can imagine those demons from episode 5/6 being described as funny little creatures, and actually work in book format. Same with the "prologue" in episode 5, something that could work in text, but kinda fell on its face in animation with the bad voice acting and almost (for lack of better words) childish drawings.

Stay with it guys, the last arc is what gives this show such a high rating. And if you like that one, you *have* to watch Mononoke :)

H.

I've just watched episodes five and six (good choice to slow the pace to two episodes, I had only the first arc translated in my language, so now I have to read it in English, and it's a little harder for me).
I found the second arc quite different from the first one.

The narration is "ligher". I think it's expecially because of the two demons, which are humorous characters, moreover the story evolves around the love story between the two protagonists and not on pure vengeanche as in the first story. But, to me, even the graphic and style looks different, don't know if better or worse, just different. I could say that this series is improving, so I'm quite positive for the following episodes.

Stay with it guys, the last arc is what gives this show such a high rating. And if you like that one, you *have* to watch Mononoke :)

H.

Great, it is a very good piec of news, thanks for saying it. And as a matter of fact I wanted to watch this one exactly in order to be able to watch Mononoke.

Ah, I wanted to add something about the first arc.
I found it very strange the ending, all those real images and the "explanation" set in the modern times. It was weird but I like it someway. And I discovered that I accidentally read a book by Akutagawa without knowing he was such an important writer in Japanese literature...

I HATED the second arc/story/whatever. It's probably because the first story was all "Guy has girl, guy falls in love with prettier second girl and leaves first girl, guy is evil and must be punished." Whereas the second story was all "Guy has girl, guy falls in love with prettier second girl and leaves first girl, guy is still a pretty cool guy that has done nothing wrong." What the dickens? Also, the second story was boring. The third story might be the greatest thing I've seen in my life, though. So huzzah.

I am such a moron, I watched the wrong show. I kept reading what you all wrote and said to myself, this is not jiving at all. :baka:

So now I am on the right show... ant thank GOD! this one is ten times better.

The intro is muy trippy. The artwork and time period clothing is spot on. but, even more interesting...

Holy Hell in a Hand basket...They have Japanese Eyes! mandatory points for that.

Anyhow, Now that I am caught up on this first part 1-4 the lemon-love-nasty hair riping arc, I will say it is a bit of all right. =D
Unique is ALWAYS good in my book.
The actually motion is choppy at times, but not dreadful at all.
There are points where it looks like a wood-block painting. Shading (seeing that a lot takes place at night) is really good and creepy.
(Lemon Dojo, hell of a name.)

I will catch up on the next 4 tomorrow. ;)

By the way, I would not recomend another title called JUST Ayakashi. It is a rainbow of fruity garbage. it was the wrong title I was watching. *shiver* I was wondering how that was going to get good from what I had seen.

Back