Activity feed is temporarily off of the profiles, and a warning about upcoming issues

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Hi everyone, there's something really wrong with the hard drive on the server that houses the activity feed, which is why there's been so many errors recently. The data center is going to help try to clone the drive to a new hard drive, which hopefully will work. In the meantime I've removed the feed section of the profile homepages, so in case there's an issue again, it won't break your profile pages at least.

Just be aware that because the feed is integrated throughout the site, IF there's an issue again while the server is being fixed, it may effect other pieces that i'm unaware of (for example, it may affect setting statuses if that database can't be reached). I have to go in to work tomorrow, but will try to get back to you quickly when I have status.

Re: Activity feed is temporarily off of the profiles, and a warning about upcoming is

Cheers for the heads-up! Hope it's all sorted soon.

Re: Activity feed is temporarily off of the profiles, and a warning about upcoming is

Thanks for the heads up. I'm sorry you're having to deal with yet more stuff piled on for AP, it seems like every week it encounters more issues. I very much appreciate all you're doing in keeping the place up.

Thank you for letting us know! and thank you for working so hard, we appreciate the hard work you do for the site! :)

Silver lining: now I can watch all the embarrassing anime and nobody can judge me~

(Good luck sorting everything out :duck:)

I don't know if it's related, but now that it is temporarily down, the site seems to be loading so much faster now (especially my profile).

Don't get your hopes up commodore, the feed isn't off entirely, it's merely removed from your profile's main page. People can still spy on you via the feeds tab.

yeah but they would have to be outright malicious to try something... like...
that...

RUN!

I think it's time to temporarily remove the activity feed entirely. The damned thing seems to have exploded, making it impossible to set/change statuses, and going to a person page only loads the page about halfway,then gives:
( ! ) Fatal error: Could not connect to mongo database. in /home/anime/libs/classes/activityfeed.php on line 32
Call Stack
# Time Memory Function Location
1 0.2243 4869072 {main}( ) ../entry.php:0
2 0.5279 6042136 include( '/home/anime/templates/people_entry_feed.php' ) ../entry.php:69
3 0.5289 6386144 ActivityFeed::filter( ) ../people_entry_feed.php:9
4 0.5290 6386648 ActivityFeed::get_mongo( ) ../activityfeed.php:309
5 0.5350 6396080 user_error ( ) ../activityfeed.php:32
..and stops before loading the love/hate selector (which probably wouldn't work anyway, since statuses don't).

edit: It seems that the statuses actually do change, but the page stays on that loading/connecting status, making it seem like it doesn't change.

Last edited:

I don't know if it's related, but now that it is temporarily down, the site seems to be loading so much faster now (especially my profile).

I'd say the same thing. BUT I guess the Activity feed is back on track?

I have noticed my page loads quickly again, i used to have it go slow and just assumed its because its rather packed with images and content but it could of been the activity feed i guess.
Its a shame seeing problems with the feed (especially if it was behind the slower profiles) because i actually quite liked the feature, ok i guess it lets you spy on people (good laugh xD) but its nice when you and someone are watching a anime at same time (kind of like with the anime buddies) so you can keep in line but anyways its only gone temporary non the less.
Best of luck with fixing any problems and as always thanks for maintaining the site so well :)

looking forward to stalking u all soon :)

I wonder if it will be back one day D:

Also, good luck with fixing this problem and thank you very much for offering this site for free. There was a lot of work went into it and I appreciate it.

I wonder if it will be back one day D:

Also, good luck with fixing this problem and thank you very much for offering this site for free. There was a lot of work went into it and I appreciate it.
It is possible to make donations for the site, you might wanna check out TACO (It's far from only about donations though!) :smile:

Back