Sakamichi no Apollon

kargarus

Sakamichi no Apollon
Alt title: Kids on the Slope

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

Looking forward to this, hopefully noitaminA comes up with the goods this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Sakamichi no Apollon Alt titles: Kids on the Slope

So, Shinichiro Watanabe makes an anime about jazz and Yoko Kanno composes the soundtrack.

This is going to be the anime of the millenium.

Last edited:

I'm really anticipating great things for this show. I've read a bit of the manga and it's already got everything I could ever want in a historical slice of life, plus there's a great director and an amazing composer, and it looks like they've put together a talented group of VAs for the main roles.

They're working together again... squeeee!
With a duo like that working on a musical anime I'm definitely putting it in my "Want to Watch" list.

Plus it's jazz; my second favourite genre of music!

The real question here is, why hadn't I heard of this before entering the thread?

Re: Sakamachi no Apollon

Very nice, the characters seem interesting. I really like the character designs as well, especially the chick.

So, Shinichiro Watanabe makes an anime about jazz and Yoko Kanno composes the soundtrack.

This is going to be the anime of the millenium.

I'm sure I head that name Kanno before, but I don't recall where, and what has she composed.

WHY U ALWAYS BECOME AVAILABLE AT NIGHT WHEN I CANNOT WATCH!?
:yunoguy:
Looking forward to tomorrow.

It's Sakamichi, not Sakamachi.

Either way, this is another anime I will enjoy watching. It's different, with a nice atmosphere and a lovely soundtrack. The characters seem interesting and there ought to be more BL hints in the future, (it is labeled josei after all). Definitely itching for the next episode.

^ Why would those two things need to be related? Josei is not Fujoshi.

It's a mixup of square and rectangle. There is plenty of Josei that is homoerotic, but the genre isn't defined by it. I also saw some BLish scenes, but it could just be the product of a female writer, not an indication it's going homolove.

On that note, anyone else feel Josei is either really well developed character drama, or campy and over the top homoerotica?

A good first episode. Looks like they're starting out by following the manga pretty closely; I wonder how much they're gonna do with that since I believe the manga is still ongoing.

^ Why would those two things need to be related? Josei is not Fujoshi.

I guess I'm speaking from experience, since every josei anime/manga I came upon had BL hints. And there were a few of those in this first episode too.

I don't want it to be BL, there's josei manga that's not homerotic you're just not looking hard enough /whining
But seriously, I don't want it to be BL. I kind of want to wait it out before I start it to see if it takes that turn, but I also don't want to wait it out because I know if I do and it's not BL I'll never get around to watching it anyways. Maybe I'll just try the first episode, but hmmm... It's not like I'm a jazz fan either... decisions, decisions... :hamster:

(Just a disclaimer; there's nothing wrong with BL in anime or in real life, I just don't find it attractive and won't watch something I am not interested in.)

This was fun. I liked the character personalities and I like how they've interacted with each other. I love soundtrack, some nicely done jazz. The art is nice, has decent comedy, the whole thing is packaged well.

But, the selling point?

The fact I recognized Moanin. Bobby Timmons awesome piano in my anime? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

This was me after watching that episode:

Strut.gif

I guess I'm speaking from experience, since every josei anime/manga I came upon had BL hints. And there were a few of those in this first episode too.

Well I will say, every Josei that I've come across that had a male main character was homoerotic, but there's plenty of female-led Josei that isn't (Nana, Paradise Kiss, Princess Jellyfish, ect).

This really looks like a love triangle in the making, but that's just my impression.

Well I will say, every Josei that I've come across that had a male main character was homoerotic, but there's plenty of female-led Josei that isn't (Nana, Paradise Kiss, Princess Jellyfish, ect).

This really looks like a love triangle in the making, but that's just my impression.

Interestingly, Nana isn't actually Josei because it was serialized in a shojo magazine. It's an easy mistake to make, since it's pretty much among the top of its genre and is more mature and well-written than shojo is stereotyped to be.
Okay, that's enough know-it-all for tonight. :sweat:

There will be a love triangle, but it's probably not the one you're thinking of.

Also: This definitely isn't BL. I promise. I've read the first two volumes of the manga, and the scenes included in this episode are the only ones that even vaguely hint at that.

Also also: I really like that both noitaminA series are about male transfer students with social anxieties, because they're both soooooo different otherwise.

Back