Introducing the 'times watched' feature

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
You asked for it a billion times, and now you've got it! You can now mark how many times you've watched an anime.

How it works
Where you'd normally mark status/episodes, you'll see a new dropdown for times watched:

timeswatched.jpg

• Simply select from the dropdown to change it. You can only mark up to 99x, and we have no plans to change that.

• By default, 1x is marked when you mark an anime as 'watched'. If you don't want to use the feature to mark more than 1 time, just leave the dropdown alone. 1x = the same as it worked before.

• By default, marking more than 1 times watched will increment your 'life on anime' count, and your 'total episodes' count. If you don't want it to count, go to your edit profile page and change the 'rewatches' option. If you change your mind later, your counts will recalculate when you change the form. Because this puts a strain on the server, please don't change the form over and over, help keep the site running :)

• You can only mark multiple times watched for something you mark 'watched'

• Importing a list with multiple times watched will also import the 'times watched' count

• We do not plan on making two life on anime bars available, or two bars in the signatures, etc.

• Times watched changes currently are not in the feed, we will add that shortly.

IMPORTANT NOTES

• A script is currently running to update every watched count from 0x to 1x. This script will take a few hours to run. If you see a blank dropdown next to one of your 'watched' values, and don't want to change it to something greater than 1, just leave it alone and it will be updated soon

• Some movies don't have episodes marked. So, you may see a row that looks funny (the episodes count will be blank). We're currently updating those and they will be changed soon.

Enjoy the feature!

We hope you enjoy this feature. Huge thanks goes to Xesxen who wrote a massive amount of the code updates needed to launch the feature.

If you like this feature, PLEASE DONATE to the site/server fund. All $ goes straight to the server and helps us keep making new features (for example the current redesign project is being done by a professional firm, which costs $$$). Every bit helps, ad money doesn't help nearly as much as people would think it does.

Thanks everyone! Enjoy the feature!

Please note that the server is super stressed out right now because of this update script (which will take a few hours to run), so you'll likely see feed errors if you try visiting your feed. Thus, please don't visit your feed for awhile :)

Thanks for the update D:
i admit that was fast, when you said soon i was thinking months, when you said very soon i thought at least 2 weeks, that was... hours D: impressive stuff both sothis Xesxen and any other developer who helped, a big thanks to them ^__^
i love to see all updates come out, as Anime-Planet being in my top 3 visited web pages i consider it quite the enjoyable experience seeing such things taking place and hope everyone else appreciates the effort as much as i do ^__^
I will leave a small donation with this post but i will also send another one next week (Wednesday or Friday) as i get paid but i hope others feel motivated to throw some spare change into helping keep the best website community alive and thriving ^^
Once again thanks to all the Anime planet developers/admins/scriptwriters ect xD
Now i will let the server (and my eyes) rest as it's 3am here so might as well be kind to the servers xD Thanks again ^__^

I think it's a good idea
There are countless people who watch Anime more than 1 time.
Still I think the amount of times shouldn't influence your Life-Anime time

I think it's a good idea
There are countless people who watch Anime more than 1 time.
Still I think the amount of times shouldn't influence your Life-Anime time

You can opt out of it counting by going to 'edit profile', there's an option for 'rewatches' :)

Not sure if I'll be using this... I mostly only re-watch movies like Spirited Away and Totoro, but I can't recall how many times I've actually seen them. The only series I know I've seen twice is Paranoia Agent (though I still haven't even re-watched the final episode yet...)

I'm sure it'll be a useful feature for plenty of people though.

i tried to be conservative in my rewatch times....i know that there are others i have seen more than once...but i can't remember the Japanese name so i only count it if i can really remember it...

To me the number of rewatches is just an indicator of how much you like an anime.......sure you can rate it...100 out of 10 even....but would you watch it again.?? Those anime I rewatch are the one that move me the most........so I am glad to be able to indicate that in some way......others may be able to write reviews that say this.....but I'm not good at that......

you guys do realize opting out is pointless if you wont use the feature, right? ;)

anyways, the database update script ran for many many hours yesterday, left my computer on all night for it to finish... and then my machine rebooted due to an automatic windows update :|

re-running the script from the point it stopped now, will leave the comp on during the work day for it to finish. will reply later on tonight with a confirmation it's done once i'm home (the feed should be fixed by then too as the db wont be strained)

Updated my list! Turns out I haven't re-watched much. >.> (mostly Ghlibi films)
Checked my new life on anime out of curiosity, then opted out. Since I mostly only re-watched music videos and movies it didn't affect it much anyway (although it did bump me up to the next month!).

Thanks for the hard work Sothis :)

To me the number of rewatches is just an indicator of how much you like an anime.......sure you can rate it...100 out of 10 even....but would you watch it again.?? Those anime I rewatch are the one that move me the most........so I am glad to be able to indicate that in some way......others may be able to write reviews that say this.....but I'm not good at that......

I disagree with you. For example, I have seen Human Zoo twice. The first time, of course, it was to see if it was really as bad as people said it was. The reason why I watched it a second time was because I felt like torturing myself that day. Also, there are several shows (such as DBZ) that I liked a lot a while back, but don't like quite as much now. However, because I liked them back then (and, in the case of DBZ, because that was what was being shown on TV) I watched them multiple times. Then, there are shows that I love but have not found the time (or in some cases, the ability) to watch them again.

Don't know whether this is a known issue or not, but I marked a few titles as watched twice (x2) several hours ago, just to experiment with the new feature (and a very awesome feature it is, too). My episode count and time spent on anime went up, no problems there. However, the titles I marked as watched twice are now showing up as x1 again, no different from the others. :confused: The aforementioned increases in episode count and time are still in effect, it's just the times watched dropdown itself that isn't displaying the correct number.

[EDIT] Okay, so when I updated the episode count on Gin no Saji after watching ep 6, my time spent and episode count reset back to what it was before the new feature. Guess I'm going to have to start again...

Last edited:
Love you for this update Sothis :love:

And I for one will definitely be using it, for the ones I can remember at least.

Back