Elfen Lied

D

dreadful

[sadht]Elfen Lied[/sadht][sadhl=693]elfen-lied[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Episode 8:

i'm somewhat dissappointed with 08 of this series

so far i liked the series for the amount of gore, violence, nudity and unrealism. All those things were exagerated enough to remind viewers that this is anime and not real life.

Now in ep 08 the creators for unknown reason decided to make few kids in order to get at one another kill a puppy. Bulying something that can't defend itself or even killing it isn't something extraordinary. So i'm wondering why?
For the sake of comparison, Narutaru, another series which are full of gore maintained things exagerated enough to be shocking throughout and on cartoonish level.

Killing animals something isn't extraordinary, rather it's quite realistic and even happened to my pet rabbit (though it was found already dead, though without fractures and I have no clue who did it). I'm pretty sure,though not on a regular bases, this form of abuse is present all around the world. I've heard similar stories from adults in Russia, experienced myself in US. So all I'm asking why bring an element of real live into an exagerated and highly unrealistic series?

Last edited by a moderator:
well it all has to do with why Lucy decides to become Ms Butcherbabe. I mean throufgh out the serie, they try to convey that shes a heartless and brutal killer, while in fact she is not. the real monsters in the serie are the humans, naught the Dicloni

Episode 8:
Ep 8 Pissed me off... how the hell could they beat on that little dog? :crying: ><
I think they got what they deserved... how can you even bring yourself to kick it?!? ITS A LIVING THING... not your facking playtoy.. Although I did get some happiness back when she multilated them all. Still.. how could they beat it to death? Are they not even human?!? ><

And now for non spoiler..

How come all of the dogs in this series have to be so cute? :love:

*steals Wanta* ^^

Episode 8:
I think you are highly exaggerating about very minor details. It *is* a series meant for adults, so if you don't like sadistic killing like that, I suggest that you all go and watch a series in which you will not find any gore and violence.. like pokemon. The fact you got up to ep 8, means you've accepted or at leats managed to watch throught other sadistic and gory scenes. In fact: killing that puppy was actually some major plot development in that episode and that's why they put that scene in, considering it's the first step towards Nyuu's twisted and violent mind.

And Megami: stop being a hyppocryte. There is a huge difference between a RL puppy being clubbed to death than a puppy in a fictional anime.

As for that ep in general: I found that the background update gave a fabulous fresh swirl to this series. Probably not *the* best ep of the series, but quite surely one of the better. :mad:

Episode 8:
my main rant was about killing the puppy, which, as me and one other member of the forum pointed out, is quite realistic and nost as shocking and even plain lame, rather than doing something more cartoonish, for example like they did bullying in narutaru

Episode 5:
When Nyuu/Lucy first encountered Wanta in ep 05 i personally though she would kill it instead of letting it loose/cuting the rope when in ep 01 she killed that guys secretary just for the hell of it

umm Naru Taru was cartoonish and unrealistic???

obviously u missed that whoile "guy who gets girls pregnant and dumps them for the heck of it" thing

And as for Nyuu

Firstly she did not kill that secratary out of pure bloodlust, she <<the secretary>> happened to be there when Nyuu needed a "wall of flesh" and got used.

Lucy is a Godess ^_^

dreadful said:
episode 8
my main rant was about killing the puppy, which, as me and one other member of the forum pointed out, is quite realistic and nost as shocking and even plain lame, rather than doing something more cartoonish, for example like they did bullying in narutaru

I think you are not getting the reason why I think Elfen lied is being made: Pure Enjoyment. The sadistic scenes in the series are entertainment to (surprisingly) alot of people. There is nowhere a rule that states that you'll have to watch through all the bloody scenes and can't skip past them if they do displease you.

(sidenote: I interpret what you wrote in my own way, since I'm having troubles decyphering it; I have no idea what you are trying to say)

episode 5
When Nyuu/Lucy first encountered Wanta in ep 05 i personally though she would kill it instead of letting it loose/cuting the rope when in ep 01 she killed that guys secretary just for the hell of it

Your point?

Episode 1:
in order to use someone as a shield you have to rip its head first (is that in order to be humane ? or is that so the secretary wouldn't suffer afterwards, while being turned into a cheesecloth? :confused: ) Also, how do you explain that she was just fine from that rain of bullets on the encounter after the elevator ?

as far as narutaru, sorry don't remember the episode

you don't expect me to take seriously guy who said that he has other 5 girls on the side, (it's been a while since i've seen narutaru). And I think he also mentioned that if he has too, he'll mary the girl if he has to. Or are you talking about that adjustment? Then that girl with flower already had a guy

when nyu encountered wanta, she just cut the rope, while encountering secretary and a girl in ep 7 she killed them both just because, while the secretary and a girl presented as much threat to her as the puppy, at least that's how it seems to me, so i expected Nyu/Lucy to kill the puppy as well

Well, everyone seems to be obsessed with the inhumanity of Lucy,'

Episode 8:
Well, look at what happens in ep 8, <<they kill her dog, and shes bullied and picked on even before that>>, also look at poor poor nana, we see her chained up, bleeding all over. The director mentions that shes been used for "dangerous experiments". Obviously Lucy also underwent a lot of brutal torture in the name of science etc. Dont forget that shes Better than humans, being the next step in evolution and all. No way you would expect her to be merciful to any human, especially those in the research center. Prolly in the same situation as a Human <<with a lot of weapons>> trapped among Apes and other wild animals.

Getting back to the point, the dog getting killed is kind of "the last straw" for Little lucy, i mean even the bullies say "you dont laugh or cry", meaning she bore her suffering with silence. and also the dog triggers her "need to protect something" urge which is what releases her "arms/vectors". Kind of essential for the plot ^_^

alcuin/smokydrag said:
Well, everyone seems to be obsessed with the inhumanity of Lucy,'

episode 8:

Well, look at what happens in ep 8, <<they kill her dog, and shes bullied and picked on even before that>>, also look at poor poor nana, we see her chained up, bleeding all over. The director mentions that shes been used for "dangerous experiments". Obviously Lucy also underwent a lot of brutal torture in the name of science etc. Dont forget that shes Better than humans, being the next step in evolution and all. No way you would expect her to be merciful to any human, especially those in the research center. Prolly in the same situation as a Human <<with a lot of weapons>> trapped among Apes and other wild animals.

Possible explaination, yet:

Episode 1 and 5 and 8
In episode 1 she just got out of being trapped and had to release some of her anger. (Note:" using the secretary as shiled was merely visual entertainment for the watchers, since she could have deflected those bullets easily.)

In episode 5 she had been with Kouta for quite a while and had her second personaility put on front most of the time, so she might have turned a bit softer to random slaughter... or she might have planned to kill the puppy in ep 5 in the first place, yet was restrained by the flashback presented in ep 8.

ok, thought about it for a while

would have to agree with first part of alcuin's explanation about dicloni treatment of Nana. However, seems like she was brought to the institution after the slaughter in ep 08 (though that's still up in the air) Kids were picking on Lucy simply because she was different from the rest (Elfen Lied isn't the only series where characters are picked on because they are different). I seriously doubt she thought of herself as superior prior to the incident. She was even shown wishing for strength, hence it was safe to assume that she felt weak and insecure prior to what happened.

As far as Wanta concerned, episode 08 also put some light on the situation, seemed like Lucy liked animals and felt responsible for the death of puppy in 08. Henceforth, she's not a monster people picture her out to be, it's just her image of humans in general isn't very high, no thanks to the kids in 08 or treatment in the institution. Then again she just got Mayu out of the way and went after Nana, who was associated with the institution

*****evil spoilers*****

^_^
spoilers all the way (including episode 10)

ah well, about that girl who gets attacked by Lucy wnen she <<lucy>> is escaping from the mad scientoist who wants to rape lucy o_0,

having seen ep 10 it would appear that the dicloni can "infect" normal ppl by touching them with the vectors, thereby ensuring that the offspring of the "infected" ppl are dicloni. Probably this is the reason why that commando guy form ep 1-2 got castrated.

Lucy was probably tring to infect the girl, but missed, maybe she was not yet fully recoved from the fight in ep 4 and has not regained full control of her vectors. note that she seems to have only one wheras she had 4 vectors before the fight.

also ALL the dicloni are female. I think this is totally kewl ^_^

well quite an insightful episode, more details on the chief of section. though very little new. Also, #35 is freaky, has as much vectors as christmass tree has branches.
In addition Nana has has 4 vectors just like Nyu, check ep 04 (the fight) for more details, she just showed Mayu only 1 later. Also, I think Lucy killed the girl on 07 because she didn't like the way the girl was looking at her

ah yes more spoilers of horns/vectors and catgirls and also a wishful thinking for how i want the serie to end

i was refering to Lucy when i mentioned the "one vector". after the fight in ep 4, Nana "cripples" lucy, prolly by crushing the pineal glands or whatever creates those vectors, note that lucy mentions "they wont come out-what did you do".

from then till ep 10, lucy uses only one vector. However remarkable healing power seems to be another attribute these babes posses.. I mean Lucy takes a hit from an anti tank rifle in ep1 and all it shows is a little amnesia ^_^.

Oh yeah, Little nana is the real trooper here as far as sheer toughness and combat survivability goes.

gives new meaning to "strength and beauty". Im hoping that the dicloni will wipe out all of humanity in ep 13 and since all the dicloni are female, they can utilize the power of lesbian sex to settle their differences and repopulate the earth ^_^

Viva la Power of lesbian sex =P

Episode 8:
As for the goreriffic parts of ep 8, I dont see how it is a bad thing that they kill the dog. The series is obviously playing on the viewers lust for feeling nauseuos, and the sheer reality that the brutality the kids show actually exists puts an added edge to the scene. And it is really an important moment to show why Lucy is the insane killer that she really is. Sure the humans are bad guys here, but the diclonious are hardly any better.

While I won't go into whole "good guy - bad guy" doscussion which is inherently foolish, as there is no "good" or "evil", there are merely intentions and what becomes of them. All in all, one could say that perhaps disconii can sence emotions of people that people exibit towards them, and act accordingly, which would explain why disconii kill their parents around age of 3, as that's around the age when children begin to undetstand their own existence, and no parent can possibly avoid having harmful/bad thoughts about their child from time to time
If that is truly so, what the hell can you expect of a young child? I believe majority of kids go through the phase where they pull the legs off the insects just to see what happens - it's natural curiocity that comes with that age and not being burdened by understanding of ethics yet, children are far more cruel then adults - that's basic psychology.

Moving on, watching episode 12 is like mental masturbation - female one. Euphoria all the way with one hell of an orgasm in the end =P. Now all we need is episode 12, and judging from the episode name and preview content, it sure as hell won't be a happy ending

Sigh. This is one of the very very few shows that made me feel this way all the way as it progressed. Damn. World needs more shows like this.[/spoiler]

I find it sad that some people get nothing more from this show than cheap thrills from the gore (and, let's face it, the nudity), and for whatever reason can't handle it when the gore is "too realistic". Maybe, instead of wishing they hadn't put that in the show, you can take the shock and revulsion you feel and imagine how Lucy must have felt. Then, OMG, you might actually come to understand more of the character and her motivations. I, for one, think this show has been pretty brilliant about that sort of thing. Not to mention that they managed to use nudity in an artistic way, to enhance the show, rather than the "hurr hurr look at t3h boobies!" you see in so many other shows. The stark contrast between their innocent, vulnerable appearance and their amoral (not to be confused with immoral) lethality was a very nice touch.

On the one hand, I'm pissed off at you "hehehe. blood and boobies!" people, because you very nearly made me skip over this series entirely with your childish babble. On the other hand, I'm grateful that I wasn't left on the edge of my seat every week for the past few months, and will only have to really wait for ep 13 (which is killing me, btw). That's another masterful touch in this series, the way the episodes end. They make you go "AAAARGGGHHH!!! NEXT EP!!!!", but when viewed straight through, the breaks are almost seamless. It watches more like a long movie than like a series.

If any of you out there are like I was, shying away from Elfen Lied because of the "blood & boobs!" crowd, give it a look. You may like what you see...

in response to Mecha's post, imo, gore and nudity what attracts people to the series, plot, story and development are what keeping people in.

My complain about the puppy earlier was that the series were unrealistic from the beginning so what was the point of including element of realism in the second half then straying from it once again?

Back