Do you consider OVAs/specials to count as 'season' anime?

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by sothis, May 28, 2013.

?

Do you want Anime-Planet to mark movies/OVAs/specials with the season tags?

1. Yes, mark movies, OVAs and specials with season tags

57 vote(s)
    63.3%
  2. No, only mark TV series with season tags

33 vote(s)
    36.7%
  1. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on May 28, 2013
    Hi everyone,

Based on the survey you guys filled out, it's clear that upcoming/current season anime are very important to you. I'm wondering what your opinion is on marking ovas/movies/specials as 'seasonal', and would appreciate if as many people as possible could reply (and/or vote on the poll).

Right now, we mark something as being in a season if it's a tv series that starts in that season. For example, something that starts in Fall 2012 will be marked Fall 2012 (and not any other season after)

But, we currently don't mark things like OVAs, specials and movies into 'seasons', unlike what the anime charts out there (such as Seasonal Anime) mark.

So the question is, do you tend to expect to see ANYTHING released during a season to have the season tag? If so, I can start marking movies, specials and OVAs that air during a season, with the season tag. I suspect people are going to say they do want these marked (and frankly, it's what I'm leaning towards personally too), just wanted to put out a poll to confirm/deny.

To clarify, if it's a multi-episode OVA (or multi-part special), they'd follow the same rules as TV series. Meaning the first episode = the season it gets marked as.

Another option which might be best is to mark OVAs/movies with season tags, but DON'T mark random DVD specials/add-ons with season tags (as that seems counterintuitive to me)

2. Karasune

Karasune Dank Doughnut

I've actually marked a few OVAs and movies with the seasonal tags (I just checked and I've only marked a total of six, most of them being from this upcoming summer season). We didn't go over this in the anime mod training, so it didn't even strike me as something I shouldn't do. I know which ones they are, so I can definitely go back and take the tags off if you'd like. Apologies for not asking about this earlier.

As for my personal opinion, I think it's a good idea to tag them and I can't think of any negatives in doing so. I'll spread the link around to a few people so they can vote as well. :p

3. Tyranid5

Tyranid5 Member

I'm voting yes, but I think only some of the things listed should be tagged.

I don't think Movies should get tagged. They get released in theaters and when they get released on disc and eventually (maybe not ever) get subbed is a time difference that varies from 4 or 5 months to a little over a year.

TV Specials are of 2 main varieties. One off episodes like: this, I think should get a season marked. Then there are recap eps like this that air in time slots during the season some weeks and if that was listed in under the same season like the above example, when somebody goes to that season and looks through the list alphabetically they would appear next to each other and alert some users who find recaps to be a major turn-off like in this case (why do you need recap for like 7 or 8 episodes :flip:).

OVAs are a lot more varied. Like i don't think long running OVAs like the never ending Kiss x Sis or Fairy Tail OVAs should get any kind of season tag. Then there are the ones bundled with manga/novels/games and the ones included with DVD/BDs.

• Manga/Novel/Game OVAs tend to be a one-off special which i think should get tagged.
    • DVD/BDs you have some specials that extend the entire collection, and then some have extra episodes on usually either the 1st or last volume. I don't think either should get the season tag. Like how sothis put it, it's kinda counter-intuitive and if you want to find a dvd add-on you can go to the series page and it's usually related to the main series.

For a tiny example:
    http://i3.minus.com/ibzppF4KzcDr3n.jpg (this is neregate's v2.1 for upcoming summer season)

In the OVA section there seem to be OVAs coming out for like Attack on Titan and Suisei no Gargantia that are currently airing and then there are ones coming out for series like Kamisama Hajimemashita and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun which aired not too long ago. Then there are OVAs that are suppose to come out in the summer like a Rescue ME! or Ark IX or Yowamushi Pedal OVA which are more unique titles that most users wouldn't see or read anything about, because they mostly just get swept under the rug each season.

The unique titles are suppose to be bundled with manga/novel. And so are Titan, Tonari and Kamisama. So a some cases might be edgy or just requir some good guidelines.

I think setting up the season tags to inform people about the "variety" of content available in a season like the new TV series the unique OVAs like the ones i listed above rather than a catch all set of tags where there are like 3 or 4 items for 1 franchise.

Like i said above i agree with sothis' "other" option where some entries getting tagged would be a repeat and some seasons would list multiple entries for the same franchise and at that point you could just list one and then somebody could open up that entry and go to the relations section to find others. At the same time a catch all could still work since with the latest update to the season pages series aren't listed multiple times for all of their alt titles.

EDIT:
    Forgot to elaborate above on this. My only problem is that with TV series you are getting content each week. Where with multi-episode OVAs sometimes you get it monthly, sometimes yearly, sometimes.... whenever they feel like releasing it. Recent examples are, like above Kiss x Sis, Fairy Tail, Seitokai Yakuindomo, To Love-ru Darkness, Gundam Unicorn. Kiss x Sis has been the one that has... extended for the longest time, and Gundam Unicorn they planned on releasing quarterly and then delaying to the grave. I hesitate before throwing some indefinite series underneath a certain season. Given, cases like Kiss x Sis and Fairy Tail are unique where they gave a couple of OVAs and then decided they wanted to do more.... and more.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  4. Lithium

Lithium Guest

yes, yes and yes to all the 3 quoted points.

for me, i just considered the season tags to refer to anything that released in that time frame so i was a bit confused when i couldn't find certain things that way.

5. LinkSword

LinkSword POPEE BELIEVER

Only TV for me.

OVAs are often just extras for bigger shows already aired, or continuing series that have been released for a while (Hellsing Ultimate, Kiss x Sis), and even if they're neither, they're just small independent works with no real relevance on the anime season during which they have happened to be released.

Movies are more of the same, plus the fact that most of us westerners don't even get to watch them until at least six months later (when DVDs/BDs are released)... so their importance when it comes to looking for the hot stuff in every new season is almost null.

As for the specials... well, the denomination itself answers the question, doesn't it? Just side-projects for things already released in other seasons/years/decades.

6. sothis

sothis Forum Moderator Anime-Planet Founder Developer

Posted by sothis on May 28, 2013
    hopefully more people will vote! so far the results won't make things easy (more want it marked, but it's not a runaway)

7. Aranneas

Aranneas New Member

I vote yes but would prefer something similar to tyranid's proposed system rather than just a blanket add to all entries. especially holds true when you think of all the 80s/90s stuff that was simply released as one-offs on VHS.

8. Drahken

Drahken Cross-eyed Cyclops

I can't really vote on the poll because of the limited options. Movies, OVAs, and specials are 3 seperate things, they shouldn't be lumped together as an all or nothing deal.

Specials: no. Honestly, I think the very notion of applying seasons to specials (likewise other odds & ends stuff like music videos) is foolsih.
    Movies: no
    OVAs: yes

9. Tyranid5

Tyranid5 Member

Alright so, i got an example that actually means something.

For TV specials, the 2 examples that i used above. 1 being a OP special and 1 being a recap, I agree shouldn't be added. What i was going for with the OP example was an entry more like:

Buta | Anime-Planet

Buta is a better example of something that's a one-off and could fit as an OVA. But the Young Animator Training Project shows in 2012 aired on TV first so they are all tagged as TV Specials, while the ones that were made for 2013 were premiered in theaters so they are all set as movies. This is probably more of an edge-case where they are OVA "style" but marked differently because they change the YATP/Anime Mirai program every year.

Edit:
    I think this is why there is no runaway. Having more options would have made the results more complex maybe. But this all or nothing poll splits the people who want more but not everything listed in the yes option.

Source: I almost voted no, because I believe movies shouldn't get tagged that much.

10. Ravenx

Ravenx Active Member

I have a hard time voting yes to everything. Logically, is everything really a season?

The only thing I could mark as a season is TV series and OVA series. Movies are not seasons and neither are specials. :/

So my vote is for TV series/OVA series to get marked.

Then you have stuff like the new Eva movies. They can't be classified as a season, it's just like an ova collection and it's continuous.

11. Number12

Number12 Guest

I vote the yes.

12. snivets

snivets New Member

I was leaning towards no at first, but I ended up voting yes because I like the idea of being able to see a wider variety of things per season. Tagging OVAs with seasons would definitely help me miss fewer of them, as I tend to browse the season tags.

I also agree with the following points:
    -It definitely feels a little odd to tag movies, considering the theater release/dvd release difference.
    -Some OVAs just get released arbitrarily or over such a long time that it doesn't feel right to tag them by season either. Seitokai Yakuindomo was the first example that came to mind.

*shrug* Just my two cents, I don't feel terribly strongly either way. Cheers! :D

13. Bestanimeserie

Bestanimeserie Well-Known Member

Personally I vote for adding a season tag on OVA's and Specials since movies are not really a seasonal thing. And ova's that are going for a long time for example kis x sis don't really need a tag, that's just my opinion though

14. GodzillaGus

GodzillaGus Member

voted yes, if it has to be "yes" or "no" for all mentioned entries.

OVA - yes
    Movies - yes. mainly just to know the release date.
    add ons - indifferent.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  15. tsundere1ftw

tsundere1ftw New Member

I vote for TV shows only because OVAs and movies do not belong into it. Also the season list is already cramped as it is and it's hard to get a good overwiew in a season with many titles.

16. MrAnime

MrAnime Active Member

OVA's: Yes
    Specials: No

17. chii

chii Well-Known Member

Posted by chii on May 29, 2013
    I vote no
    ova's, movies, and specials air very randomly. start year and end year seem fine for these.

exceptions should probably be made for ova's or others that are series length or had a pretty constant airing. such as Supernatural The Animation | Anime-Planet and Detroit Metal City | Anime-Planet and Hetalia: Axis Powers | Anime-Planet which are all already listed in their respected seasons.

something like Hellsing OVA | Anime-Planet doesn't qualify for an exception because of the crazy random airing. something like Katanagatari | Anime-Planet would count because it was once a month all year long consistently and people knew this from the start.

here's a thought since people brought up missing out on ova's/specials in a certain year.

when browsing the year page perhaps beside the winter, spring, summer, fall season links we could add ova, movie, special (dvd and tv categories together?), and other (music video, web, other categories together?) links because I do agree looking at everything lumped together in the year list is a tad overwhelming even if you can push the "type" button to group the categories together

18. tsundere1ftw

tsundere1ftw New Member

I absolutely agree with chii. She has a point

19. Karasune

Karasune Dank Doughnut

I said at the beginning that I thought tagging them would be a good idea, and I still think that, but not tagging them is also fine with me; I'm not a picky person. However, I do think chii's post made a good point. I like the idea of the OVA, movie, special, and other links.

If we start tagging them, I do foresee a lot of debating over what needs what tag and if it's truly correct.

20. Deathly

Deathly Active Member

I voted no. As already pointed out, OVA's and specials can has quite some variable release dates and aren't always bounded to one season. I guess it would be better to keep them out of the season tags.