Looking for available, active forum moderators

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Over time our small team of forum moderators have dwindled - many don't use the site anymore (or very infrequently). As we migrate to new forum software, i'm looking to both streamline the current content (deleting some forums, adding new ones, etc) and also getting a large, active team of moderators onboard to clean things up.

Qualifications:

-Currently active in the forum. This is a requirement - we're looking specifically for people who are currently active, so if you're new to the forum or have been inactive for awhile, please don't apply :)

-Have ongoing, consistent time to check the forum. This is another big one. Very frequently, people sign up for projects on the site because they have a small period of lots of free time, but then become inactive for long periods of time too. We're looking for people that ideally have time daily to check their forum sections and moderate if needed.

-Are diplomatic and can be professional. This is another big one - regardless of your personal style or 'who you are', once you get a moderator title, it's important to be an ambassador of Anime-Planet's core values - that we're a friendly place where people can be free to chat about things. If you tend to power-up into flame mode, this position isn't the best fit. Moderators generally should be neutral and kind (even when closing threads, such as recommendation threads) and give people the benefit of the doubt. Helpful, not chastising.

If being a forum moderator interests you, and if you fit the qualifications above, please reply here! If there's sections that especially interest you, include that (we'll need coverage on all forum sections, so you might be tasked with a few other sections you don't normally visit), or anything else we should know about you :)

Additional note: I'd prefer if currently active 'other' moderators (characters, manga) didn't apply for this, mostly because those roles take up a lot of time already, and your skills are more valuable focusing on that kind of moderation :)

I'M HERE JUST ABOUT 24 / 7 BUT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TECH AND HOW PROGRAMS WORK ...AND I HATE MY CAPS LOCK....any way ...it isn't that i wouldn't want to help ...i just don't know if i am technically able to...

Admittedly i'd need tech savvy folks (at least with forum moderation) for the job :)

If your caps lock is broken, then get yourself a new keyboard old mate... so you won't have to worry about it. XD

Apologies for going off-topic.

I'M HERE JUST ABOUT 24 / 7 BUT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TECH AND HOW PROGRAMS WORK ...AND I HATE MY CAPS LOCK....any way ...it isn't that i wouldn't want to help ...i just don't know if i am technically able to...

i don't see why not, as you said your by far the most active user (or at least in the top 3 most active) here and well everyone who uses the forum for more than a month knows you :3
I don't think you really need to be high tech in anything, usually things like moderating topics and moving stuff ect (well there is probably more to it than that :megusta: ) don't require high spec users who know everything, and im sure you would be filled in on the stuff you don't know.
I was actually going to suggest you if im honest... but that's of course entirely your choice :)

EDIT: Never mind, sothis proved my post wrong xD Sorry :)

Additional note: I'd prefer if currently active 'other' moderators (characters, manga) didn't apply for this, mostly because those roles take up a lot of time already, and your skills are more valuable focusing on that kind of moderation :)

Boo. :p

I actually considered this, but figured it would be better I didn't since I already have stuff to focus on. Hope we get a good number of people to volunteer though, especially in the anime sections.

I've basically stopped caring about the spam bots because there's so many of them and there's no good way to stop them from joining, and planned on dealing with them in bulk once we moved.

The good news is the new forum software we're moving to has a much better spam filtering system and will stop most of them in their tracks before they can register.

What i plan on doing is migrating the database, then using their tools to bulk remove all the spammers.

Question: Will all the forum URLs change format again once this switch is made? After the recent change i need to fix a couple links... but i'll wait if it'll all change again.

well as i said ..i'd like to help out ...but....so perhaps if things don't work out and the need is still there i would try ...i mean if it turns out to be beyond me i can always quit....as it is i hope you get a pile on new mods i can pm when i see stuff...

SO I HAD AN IDEA ...kill my caps lock...no ...ah ..only an admin can ban and delete an account but mods can move stuff...so make a thread called spam accounts and then the mods can move all the spam into the spam accounts thread so pidj can review them all in one place and either delete or restore them...just an idea...

Last edited:
well as i said ..i'd like to help out ...but....so perhaps if things don't work out and the need is still there i would try ...i mean if it turns out to be beyond me i can always quit....as it is i hope you get a pile on new mods i can pm when i see stuff...

SO I HAD AN IDEA ...kill my caps lock...no ...ah ..only an admin can ban and delete an account but mods can move stuff...so make a thread called spam accounts and then the mods can move all the spam into the spam accounts thread so pidj can review them all in one place and either delete or restore them...just an idea...

There's a dustbin section inside of the hidden mod section of the forum. It's already being used for that purpose.

Question: Will all the forum URLs change format again once this switch is made? After the recent change i need to fix a couple links... but i'll wait if it'll all change again.

well, the change will take some time (i'm still not sure of the scope of work to migrate everything but the timeline has been moved up), so i'd say changing the links depends on what you're doing

yes, they will change again - xenforo has built in SEO stuff and the format is different than vbseo, so even if we hadnt turned vbseo off, there would have been a painful period of the links being wrong/reindexed. i think that's a big reason why people don't migrate when vbseo is involved, because it's so painful XD

if you have just a few links in various topics, i'd say go ahead and change them, as it will take some time to migrate no matter what :)

I wouldn't mind being a moderator. I was a part of Serebii.Net Forums for about 13 years and never was a mod but I made "mod like" decisions. I was a moderator for PokeJungle forums for about 3 years. I had to give up both of those forums for school but now that I'm not in school and only working, I have a lot of downtime where I could check up on the forums and do whatever is necessary. :)

Just putting my name in the hat~

Yes, oh god yes. I've been wanting to moderate, or at the very least, help out the forums. More specifically, the anime section. Help clean out/move the threads, like the current airing section because its getting too crowded there. :)

i think that's a big reason why people don't migrate when vbseo is involved, because it's so painful XD
Clearly having vbseo at all is very painful. There's the obvious example of the recent issue, plus it seems like every single memory based error we've had on the forum listed vbseo as part of the problem. SEO in general might be a good concept in theory, but it's clear that the VBSEO implemntation is horrid garbage. (...Which traps you, much like the #dontjoinitsatrap chan on irc.)

When you're doing the streamlining, you definitely need to remove the "FAQ" from the faq/tute section (in fact, you should do that now). It creates a lot of confusion, with people thinking that's the section to post questions & the like instead of it being a place for pre-written FAQs/tutes. (Then again, as little as that section gets used, I'm guessing that you might remove it entirely *shrug*.)

I'm already a mod of the bugs section of course, but there really isn't that much to do there, I can easily take on some more sections. I'm thinking probably manga & GD (being the main section of the forum, GD could use as many mods as it can get).

Well i'm online quite a few hours a day and I wouldn't mind being a moderator, my only questions is what kinds of programs do you need to know since I don't know much about them, though it does seem interesting to do and i'd love to help.

Back