Anime-Planet launches over 15,000 new streaming videos with in-depth Hulu integration

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
We have big news.

Hot on the heels of Crunchyroll integration, we've now launched over 15,000 new legal, streaming videos by partnering with Hulu, a mega resource for video content in the USA.

First up, our official press release:

ANIME-PLANET.COM LAUNCHES OVER 15,000 NEW STREAMING VIDEOS WITH IN-DEPTH HULU INTEGRATION

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SEATTLEAnime-Planet, the world’s most reputable recommendation database for anime and manga that serves 500,000 users a month, has partnered with Hulu to offer over 15,000 new legal, streaming videos from providers like Funimation, Viz and Sentai Filmworks.

Community members can now watch Hulu's full suite of anime videos directly from Anime-Planet. In addition, those who create an anime list of what they've seen can opt-in to update their list automatically when watching videos from Hulu or other providers on the site.

This is the second major announcement in the past few weeks from Anime-Planet, the only recommendation resource that now aggregates and serves content from two of the largest industry leaders for legal, streaming anime: Hulu and Crunchyroll.

Kim Cameron, CEO and founder of Anime-Planet, says this release is part of a wider plan to make the website a destination for watching the anime you love.

"Anime-Planet has been an innovator in bringing anime fans features they love since 2001 – we built our reputation through providing the only recommendation engine for about 6 years, we created the 'life on anime' bar that's now a standard feature across anime sites, and now, we're a destination for watching legal, streaming anime online from your favorite providers. Hulu provides a wealth of content from top anime providers in the USA, so now, in addition to watching your favorite Crunchyroll content on the site, you can also view many classic and brand new titles from Funimation, Viz, and more. With these and more announcements coming soon, it's a great time to try out Anime-Planet."

Ms. Cameron also talks about future plans to refresh Anime-Planet's look and feel.

"In addition to these exciting releases for video content, we're currently working steadily on a full visual redesign for the site, which will launch with a better user experience, simplified and attractive design, and new features – as well as better support for tablets and mobile devices. There's plenty more to come."

ABOUT ANIME-PLANET

Anime-Planet was created in 2001 as the first anime recommendation database, enabling users to easily get and give recommendations for what to watch next. The site also features manga recommendations, personal anime and manga lists of what you’ve seen and read, and hand-written encyclopedia content for anime, manga, characters and beyond. For more information, visit https://www.anime-planet.com.

The same awesome features are now in place for Hulu, so much of the below content is identical to the Crunchyroll release. However, we've launched better region filtering and some other bits - in case you missed it before, here's the scoop (with Hulu-specific Q&A and new additions after the feature section):

Feature highlights

WATCH VIDEOS DIRECTLY FROM ANIME ENTRIES:
Including videos for more obscure titles we split up separately, such as the Saki specials

sao_home.jpg

OPT IN TO 'AUTO UPDATE'
and we'll update your anime list for you when you watch a video on Anime-Planet. When you watch the last episode of a series, your status will change to 'watched', as well!

sao_auto.jpg

WATCH ANIME DIRECTLY FROM THE RECOMMENDATIONS
and filter the recommendations to only show you titles with videos

sao_recs.jpg

FILTER ANIME BY VIDEOS
(with easy 'browse all videos' button on the homepage)
coming soon: a 'videos' homepage for easier browsing and access

sao_browse.jpg

AUTO SHARE VIDEO UPDATES
Once you've linked your twitter or facebook accounts in your profile, you'll see a new option to auto share when you watch videos on the site. This is an opt-in feature.

Q&A

Is it free?
All Hulu content on Anime-Planet is free to watch - we don't have access to "Hulu+" only episodes. 99% of all anime content on the Hulu site is not Hulu+ only.

What about those ads in the Hulu videos?
The ads in Hulu videos are owned by Hulu, Anime-Planet doesn't receive a stipend or any kickback from the ads.

How about region locking?
Hulu videos are restricted to users in the USA. We :love: our community members in other countries and are actively looking into ways to bring you more videos to watch legally on Anime-Planet - we won't forget about you! We've set up better region filtering for ALL videos, meaning now if you browse anime by 'has video', you'll no longer see titles that you can't watch.

Anything for us dub fans?
Hulu has dubbed anime content! Which you can now watch for free on Anime-Planet.

Can I link my Anime-Planet account with my Hulu account?
Currently no, but we're looking into ways to potentially do this.

When does my list auto-update when I watch a video?
When a Hulu video loads (after the first commercial batch), your list updates.

What are the auto updating caveats?
  • We'll never change your status from 'watched' back to 'watching'. You'll need to go manually change your status to something else if you want us to increment your episode count when watching videos.
  • If you don't have the series in your list yet, or have it in your list as any status other than 'watched' or 'watching', we'll first change your status to 'watching'.
  • We'll never subtract episodes from your list - only add. For example, if you watch Naruto episodes 1-10 on Anime-Planet and then go back and watch episode 4 again, you'll see a feed update that you watched episode 4 on Anime-Planet, but your episode count will not go back to 4; it will stay at 10.

This is a V1 feature and we're always up for hearing feedback about how to improve it.

How do videos show up in my feed?
Any time you watch a video, you'll see a new update in your feed. If you've turned on auto update, you won't see separate status updates when you watch a video. So if you watch Naruto episode 1, you'll see one feed update for 'watching Naruto episode 1 on Anime-Planet', and will NOT see a duplicated 'Watching Naruto at 1/x episodes' feed update.

I love this feature! How can I show my support for Anime-Planet?
The #1 thing you can do is to help spread the word about videos on Anime-Planet to everyone you know - whether on your anime blog, your website, on twitter/facebook, or just to your friends who love anime! Even if you know people who love anime and don't currently use the site, we'd love if you could tell others what you love about the video feature so they'll come try it out too.

Additionally, donating to the site helps directly support the servers and new features like this. And, if you've wanted to donate but haven't had a way, or if you've been on the fence about getting a Crunchyroll premium membership in the past (or have a dusty, expired account), PLEASE CONSIDER GOING PREMIUM! By signing up for a free trial and then becoming premium through any of our Crunchyroll links on Anime-Planet, you're not only directly supporting the industry, you're helping Anime-Planet stay afloat as well by being able to cover the pricy server costs and other expenses it takes to keep a site like this running.

What's next?

We have another few big announcements coming soon, and are working hard on getting the full visual redesign created. Stay tuned, and thanks as always for your support of A-P!

Last edited:
Re: Anime-Planet launches over 15,000 new streaming videos with in-depth Hulu integra

Woo. :D Way to go, sothis! Seeing all this new stuff come out one after another is so exciting. AP is looking better and better.

Re: Anime-Planet launches over 15,000 new streaming videos with in-depth Hulu integra

By the way, I forgot to mention that this launch means a lot of the currently airing titles you may not have seen from CR, are now available through Hulu (such as Kill la Kill, etc)

Nice!
Loving all these changes/updates/additions that you're adding in! :thumbsup:

Glad to see progress on this! I can't use Hulu due to not being American, but Crynchyroll is mostly available to me.

Hulu too? You're really doing some great things here, sothis! :drinking:

added a note about dubs, since i forgot to mention that there's dubbed anime on Hulu too :)

Antoher great big announcement, this will surely bring a lot of new people in =) I unfortunatly can't watch most of the video's since i'm an european but still good work :smile:

Goddamn, AP! You can't stop with the goodies. I can't get access to this as a Brit, obviously, but I can only imagine what this means for the US members. Well bloody done!

A-P is going places. :drinking:

I'm European so I can't really enjoy this new feature, but I'm glad A-P is progressing. Well done!

This is awesome!

This is awesome. Too bad that i can't watch it because im Canadian, but atleast I still have crunchyroll :drinking:

wow gone for a few week sand this.
Amazing update, to bad I hate hulu, but amazing update non the less

Too Good! As Hulu and CR have become my biggest sources for anime it's amazing to see A-P getting all these features.

----Question: Since many users of both CR and Hulu use gaming consoles, is there any chance for further integration on their end?

Good news, everyone!

Glad to see AP grow even though I'm just a casual user. Back to Kuroko's Basketball!

Wow this is so awesome! And the part where you are working for a way for this to work on tablets makes me even happier since I watch most of my CR stuff off my Kindle.

I can't wait to see what else you bring to us. Thank you for your hard work!

So... When is AP planning world domination? ;)

Serious now, this is some great news! Keep it up, AP.
Unfortunately as an European I can't watch Hulu streams though.

Back