Baccano!

The OVA is a pretty nice finale and wraps things up in Baccano's decidedly screwball idea of how to wrap things up. Fans of the show should check it out.

I just started watching this actually (about halfway through) and so far it seems really interesting (and unique). I've never seen anything quite like it before which gives it high marks in my book.

FYAB discussion starting here. Although anybody is more than welcome to join in whenever since it's a public thread. ^_^

Episode 1:

Holy moly. I dont' quite get it yet, but I have already fallen for this show. Very nice non-linear approach. Stylistically, seems to be top notch. Definitely a great way to get me off this NTHT downer I'm currently on...

I dont' quite get it yet,
It makes sense in time. Baccano! has a pretty cohesive and intelligible story, if rather odd.

Most people cite Isaac and Miria as their favourite characters (except for the few deluded folk who don't like them at all) but for me it's definitely Ladd Russo. Hilarious guy. Anyway interested to see how people feel about them, I think in its short running span Baccano juggles its huge cast just as expertly as it's convoluted plot. Wonderfully tight and funny writing all round and easily, IMHO, one of the better animes I've seen.

Last edited:
there are no characters i outright hated in baccano! (which means a lot coming from me) simply a wonderful amazing show :D

<3 miria she's so the anime me hehehe

Episode 1:
Veevs said:
Holy moly. I dont' quite get it yet

Well ain't that the truth... Even coming into this thing knowing that it's a non-linear jobby, I've still been taken somewhat by surprise. Not just by the jolting timescale, but also by the violence. It's stylish, but it's really quite shocking too. My jaw dropped on more than one occasion.

Oh, and Luck Gandor is hawt. :sweat:

Episode 1:

Well ain't that the truth... Even coming into this thing knowing that it's a non-linear jobby, I've still been taken somewhat by surprise. Not just by the jolting timescale, but also by the violence. It's stylish, but it's really quite shocking too. My jaw dropped on more than one occasion.

Oh, and Luck Gandor is hawt. :sweat:

Indeed, the violence was not something I was prepared for. But, weirdly enough, that's the thing that made me like it the fastest. Because I was expecting a kind of non-linear, jazzy, but ultimately more fun than serious show. You remember those detective episodes from Darker than Black? I was expecting it to be more like that, but maybe zanier. The fact that it's instantly mature simply by way of all the blood and barefaced gunning down of anything that moves just made me sit up and pay attention. It's a sleek, stylish programme in approach, but has a gritty core in content.

but also by the violence. It's stylish, but it's really quite shocking too. My jaw dropped on more than one occasion.

Oh they're just getting started. -_-

This isn't exactly an endless graphic gorefest a la Elfen Lied but there some pretty memorably shocking uses of violence here, and enough blood to statisfy the Overlook Hotel.

I think in its short running span Baccano juggles its huge cast just as expertly as it's convoluted plot. Wonderfully tight and funny writing all round and easily, IMHO, one of the better animes I've seen.

Well put. With such a big ensemble cast and ambitious plot structure, Baccano's execution is truly impressive. It's hard to pick a favorite character, though Ladd is a definite contender. One of my favorites is also... someone who hasn't become apparent yet for Vivis and therik- hehehe. Of course, Isaac and Miria are hilarious (where I think in a less well-written show, they'd be annoying). Oh- and I think Firo is adorable.

Wow. Finally got around to watching Episode 1 today.

That was quite possibly one of the goriest, if not the goriest anime I've seen.

I actually found that to be a bit worse than Elfen Lied, GANTZ and Ninja Scroll.

However, in spite of that, I'm still quite intrigued about this show. Seems potentially interesting so far.

Wow. Finally got around to watching Episode 1 today.

That was quite possibly one of the goriest, if not the goriest anime I've seen.

I actually found that to be a bit worse than Elfen Lied, GANTZ and Ninja Scroll.

However, in spite of that, I'm still quite intrigued about this show. Seems potentially interesting so far.

^^i now want to watch this even more!

Gallons of blood, severed limbs, bone protrusions, and exploding heads all in just the first episode.

Lol. Wow... :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

>_>

While the gore is more realistic in Baccano than in EL and NS, how the hell is it possible for it to be gorier than EL. This is the plot of EL:

gore -> nyu! -> gore -> nyu! -> gore -> gore -> gore -> GORE -> nyu?

Also, I completely forgot we were watching three eps a weeka nd nearly watched episode 2. Hahaha. Having listened to the theme tune again, I must say, I LOVE IT.

Yeah. I mean there's gore in this series but if you're looking for something on the level of Elfen Lied or even surpassing it this is not something I'd recommend. However unlike Elfen Lied this is a series that is worth watching even when gore is not happening.

I found the heavily cutesy animation style in Elfen Lied actually lessened the impact of the gore for me, personally.

Other than that, they're probably about tied in terms of the amount(so far at least.)

Although, this show really doesn't seem to be based around the gore itself, like Elfen Lied was, so don't watch it just for that.

I found the heavily cutesy animation style in Elfen Lied actually lessened the impact of the gore for me, personally.

I agree with that, definitely. I think in terms of number of gory incidents and ridiculousness of the gore, EL trumps Baccano. But Baccano has more understanding of using gore appropriately, and is thus far more effective. Thanks to its childish presentation, EL actually got irritating, unbelievable, and incredibly tedious towards the end rather than shocking my pants off.

I agree with that, definitely. I think in terms of number of gory incidents and ridiculousness of the gore, EL trumps Baccano. But Baccano has more understanding of using gore appropriately, and is thus far more effective. Thanks to its childish presentation, EL actually got irritating, unbelievable, and incredibly tedious towards the end rather than shocking my pants off.

That's my biggest complaint about Elfen Lied. They tried to shock the audience repeatedly by taking extreme leaps between happy and disturbing, and it actually ended up giving me the exact opposite effect as I couldn't even take the show seriously most of the time. In some ways it kind of reminds me of Happy Tree Friends, although not quite to that extent, of course, as Happy Tree Friends was deliberately comical. :P
------
Another series, if I remember correctly that was really, really gorey was Tokko. I can't remember much of anything that actually happened in it as the show was unbelievably stupid. Only things I really remember are the sister being rather... erm... "overly-friendly," is a nice way of putting it, towards her brother. And something about zombie-demon things... and lots of exploding bloody chunks of stuff. Lol. Maybe my nostalgia is just exaggerating things, but I think that one actually might have disturbed me the most out of the shows I've seen.

Back