Anime-Planet forum

Anime-Planet forum (http://www.anime-planet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Specific Anime Discussion (http://www.anime-planet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Gintama (http://www.anime-planet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18696)

alexander 07-23-2008 03:20 AM

Gintama

Gintama

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

Can't believe there's no thread for this.

Usually I stay far away from shows adapted from magazines whose title is Shounen something or other. But I love Keroro Gunsou and Gintama. They are the only really long series I ever allowed myself to watch.

It's not wide screen, not well drawn, kiddy stuff and full of fart jokes! Brilliant!

Highlights include news anchor Ketsu-no Ana, the longest still frame ever in ep47, and the cafe's me-nyuu in ep66 XD

KiraRin 07-27-2008 07:58 AM

Re: Gintama

I think I'm only up to ep 45ish on Gintama, but I absolutely love it. Completely offbeat humour, and some of the best characters I've seen in a series for a long time! I mean, who wouldn't love a giant white dog/alien that likes to chew on peoples heads...

H.

pojken 10-01-2008 04:37 AM

I love this series. I started watching this about half a year ago. I took an afternoon and sat through a bunch of episodes. Usually, I'm opposed to starting anime that have tons of episodes because they're hard to find or take too much time, but this one was definitely worth it. I am surprised that there isn't a bigger following (per this thread only having two posts).

I'm on episode 84, but the show in general is hilarious and quirky. It's completely different from most all other anime. I love the take on cultural references (especially the fact that the fansubbers take time to explain a lot of them). It's nice to see a character like Gintama that is flawed just try to live his life. Each episode seems to have its own running gag along with show-long running gags.

I was looking for funny anime because there was a Gintama dry spell and found few that live up to the humor in Gintama. (Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei and Detroit Metal City being some of my other favorite humor anime.)

It's cool that the fansubber is catching up to the number of episodes. I kind of like the way they release in batches.

alexander 10-01-2008 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pojken (Post 298836)
I'm on episode 84,

That means you're watching the "wrong" sub ;)

pojken 10-03-2008 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexander (Post 298893)
That means you're watching the "wrong" sub ;)

Hehe... Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I don't speak or understand Japanese and take it as it is given. The episodes are funny enough regardless of concise translation - I'm sure if I was Japanese and immersed in the culture, I'd even find more enjoyment out of Gintama.

I rely on a few sites to dish out the shows and haven't gotten savvy enough to search or find them on my own.

Worosei 10-04-2008 03:53 AM

aye, i didnt realise there wasnt a gintama discussion thread.

It's really quite underrated here on A-P, though i must admit the first (double) episode wasnt that good and it put me off gintama for a while.

I guess the fact its a long series is also a deterrant for people and on the face looks really stupid humour...

though i always mispronounce gintama - i see 'gin' and expect it to be said that way

alexander 10-04-2008 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worosei (Post 300662)
though i must admit the first (double) episode wasnt that good and it put me off gintama for a while.

Same here. But I was uncharacteristically swayed by a damn blogger and this sentence from his next post: "The show only gets good at about episode 18, and beyond that it's bloody legendary." It is unheard of that I watch this much just to see if it gets better.

There is another weak stretch in the fifties, with ep52 seeing them blathering like Bleach, two two-parters, and a sudden seriousness in ep59 that is as unfun as Keroro ep100.

Quote:

I guess the fact its a long series is also a deterrant for people and on the face looks really stupid humour...
There is no stupid humour, only jokes that are bad if you take them seriously. Gintama is meta, at the expense of 'real' shounen series. But like those it has a wonderful innocence and positive outlook...

Quote:

though i always mispronounce gintama - i see 'gin' and expect it to be said that way
...already manifested in the title. Which is pronounced like 'gin' always is, in Japanese ;)

It shows how good Gintama is at how unexpected some things are. Like ep79!

qwertyuiopz 10-06-2008 07:10 PM

it amazes me how they have not been sued yet
but w/e it is my new top anime and the funniest and most entertaining one i have seen :)

and i heard that rumbel subs are teaming w/ sMi subs

DaimaoRaki 10-11-2008 01:47 PM

I've been reading the manga recently and can't wait for the dub to come out in R1. Don't really care for fansubs.

Worosei 10-11-2008 06:23 PM

hmm i wonder how good the dubs are... i'd imagine the scriptwriters will have a relatively hard job... though u cant watch the dub! then u wont hear rie kugimiya's beautiful voice!