Sessions will now default to 1 week

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
We have a new form of session management we had to fall back to due to updates in PHP and the recent server issues - we'll be monitoring it to make sure things work fine. We've just checked in a fix so that logins will work for 7 days (instead of the 'every few hours' that was happening the last 12 hours or so)

You really are amazing.....I cannot express my gratitude and wonder at the dedication and skill you continually display.....
...... All hail....Sothis goddess of the web.....

i'd love it to be a month instead of a week, but we need to see how the server performs first basically at 1 week

Longer is definitely better, but one week is better than the oh-so-often login prompts we've had recently. Thank you for addressing this issue!

i'd love it to be a month instead of a week, but we need to see how the server performs first basically at 1 week

Can't you like... store a cookie with a UUID() on the client pc and store the UUID() along with some some info from the client pc (like ip, os, browser, just... stuff you can quickly get your hands on) in the database.

followed by

if( not session exists )
if( cookie exists )
if( cookie in database and other data matches client )
log user in and create session because stuff checks out​

and idunno, set the cookie for a year or let the user specify a timeframe or whatever. and maybe some once a day procedure on the server to delete all expired cookies from the DB

I dunno what kind of DB you're using but if your not using MySQL replace UUID() with whatever that DB uses for unique id's

Last edited:
bottom line is we cant get memcached to build with the recently updated system, so we have to use a shitty solution.

we moved away from storing sessions in the database a long, long, long time ago because it was too much of a server strain

bottom line is we cant get memcached to build with the recently updated system, so we have to use a shitty solution.

we moved away from storing sessions in the database a long, long, long time ago because it was too much of a server strain

too much of a server strain :flip:

I had no idea! Learned something again today.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and explain. you should really add a spamable thanks button to this forum someday.

I just had to log back in about 1.5hrs ago, and now I'm logged back out yet again...... -_-;

Back