Saki

purplemo

[sadht]Saki[/sadht][sadhl=2372]saki[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

'Tis rare that I get two shows I've been looking forward to for this long in one season. Well, gotta comment on Saki also. First characters. The ones that matter.

Saki - A bit more 'sassy' than the manga, but voiced well for the additional sass
Nodocchi - Crap I didn't think she would look so pink! Her hair's not THAT pink dammit! Voice is a bit soft for Nodocchi but still works pretty well. AND WHY'S THE PENGUIN BLACK!!! :mad:
Yuki - Rie Kugimiya works well for the annoying taco-lover. She's playing to much the -tans though. Makes her more annoying than she's supposed to be.
Kyotaro - He's a bit player. Played well.
Hisa - Good. No complaints
Mako - Ditto

Overall an okay start. Nodocchi's way too pink and it's a little more upbeat music-wise than I imagined though. Not as big of a fan of the longer explanations, but I guess it works to teach. I wish I didn't have to listen to it though. This one should turn out fine from what I've seen so far. Gets

70681807.jpg

For now. Good start for both series though. I couldn't care less if all the other shows this season are crap if Saki and Phantom turn out good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked it.
I have no idea how that game is played but I suppose I will learn.
The ridiculous boobs on Nodo-chan felt out of place but I am unfamiliar with the manga so whatever... wet t-shirt.
I'll be watching.

Nodocchi's breasts are just a thing they put in the manga; it's not really played out like most ecchi manga would. If you think they're intrusive now, just wait till you see her start carrying the penguin around under her arm. Or you see Nodocchi in her skimpy negligee and wings.

Was pretty good first episode. I mean, it's obviously not a very serious anime, but I found my self liking a lot of it. Looking up the japanese terminology for mahjongg, cause with Akagi and saki going, I just need to know a bit more about what the heck is happening.

I was very surprised after seeing this, especially since it's my first anime that deals with some kind of "game" like Mahjong. It kept me interested and I'm anxious to see next week's episode. Saki is by far the most interesting of the lot thus far, next in line would be the student council president, she's just as interesting.

I was very surprised after seeing this, especially since it's my first anime that deals with some kind of "game" like Mahjong. It kept me interested and I'm anxious to see next week's episode. Saki is by far the most interesting of the lot thus far, next in line would be the student council president, she's just as interesting.
student CONGRESS president :p

Wait till you see how she makes Nodocchi a better player, and you'll see Nodocchi in her full form . . . ;p

Interesting, are we expected to see a little more bounciness? Interesting enough, I knew a girl with her figure in HS... we'll just keep it at that.

Oh, my bad on the council part... Student CONGRESS President.

This show (as kaiji and Akagi) certainly feeds my hopes for an eventual Magic:the Gathering anime (yeah, like that's gonna happen[but I still can hope, can't I])

Anime by numbers:

1. look which game concept hasn't been overused yet
2. develop an arcade thing to make money (especially if your company is going under)
3. look for a vaguely related story, maybe from a manga
4. animate it
4a. (only applies if you're GONZO) render childish in-game effects
5. sprinkle with moe to draw the needy
6. get corresponding actors

The result tasted utterly stale, and I'm not starved enough for Ueda Kana to endure this.

You know, I'm surprised by the level of dislike for this anime. The first episode was certainly much more tolerable then most this season. While it's a bit simplistic, you've got decent little stories (Playing perfectly neutral as to not cause trouble, friendship building, "is she a genius"?). Maybe I just like mahjongg a bit too much, but honestly this anime looks to be a fun diversion, or at the least, tolerable.

When comparing it to ones like Slap-up party, Queen's Blade, and Sengoku basara though, it feels blindingly more tolerable. (Maybe I'm just not impressed with bare bones action anime though)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, in my group of friends it's pretty disliked. I had assumed more people then just alexander in the thread disliked it from that bias, my mistake.

I personally think it's one of the better one's this season. And I don't know a thing about Mahjong. It seems like a really fun game though and I would love to learn.

I personally think it's one of the better one's this season. And I don't know a thing about Mahjong. It seems like a really fun game though and I would love to learn.

Mahjong is a really fun game, but there are so many stipulations it's hard to get going with it.

(You need exactly 4 players, there are 3 main variants to the game, plus a huge subset of "house rules" and minor variations, and it's about 70% luck based, it takes at least a few hours to get through a full game, the set-up time per match is pretty big)

Personally, mahjong is one of my favorite "board games" of all time, but I rarely get to play because of all the stipulations. I learned the chinese rules and used the english names for the tiles, so going into the japanese version of the game with Japanese names for everything is tough (for example, the bamboo suit, as it's called in English, is called "sou" in japanese, and subbers don't translate it).

It's also somewhat expensive to get a basic set, I got my lower end set for $55, and it's pretty good, but that's about the lowest price you can get. (Not including used/ebay sets, which of course can be any odd price).

Well, even though I liked it (and love the manga), even I wish it was excuted better. I'm not a big fan of how pink Nodocchi is, nor her penguin's color, nor her and Saki's voice, nor the overall animation. If I wasn't such a fan of the original story I probably wouldn't like Saki by its first episode either. Taco girl can get pretty annoying even muted on paper. On TV . . .

Hey! They already showed Nodocchi as Nodocchi by ep 2. I decided to watch this first instead of Phantom since I was more in the mood for something light (plus Phantom is probably doing the training right now). Though Saki was never a serious show, some of the over-the-top shounen stuff is a bit too much.

I'm also glad I still remember a good lot of mahjong. And thank god for Saki's less-serious approach since Japanese mahjong is about as boring a game as I've ever played and it would be very boring to watch it if they ran it like Shion.

Seriously though, for those of you who are thinking about learning mahjong, go with Cantonese style. It's simpler (the Japanese really added a mess o' crap to it to make it feel like paint drying is instantaneous) and much more of a quick pick-up game. Plus gambling and making a racket makes any game more fun.

Back