New feature: bigger character images!

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
As I've mentioned recently in another announcement, we're looking at redesigning the site to be more visually appealing and easier to use.

We've already released the anime cover images, and now are rolling out bigger character images. This way, when the redesign happens, we'll be able to display larger images (without having to redo the work at that point). The images will still look small when you're on the character entry right now, but you'll now be able to click the image, just like with screenshots/anime covers, to see a bigger version.

HERE'S AN EXAMPLE! click the image to see the big size. Here's another example.

Images have a max width of 400 pixels (and downscale if a wider version is submitted), and a max height of around 600. They can be a variable size, unlike the old guidelines which were very specific (exact width of 130, and height between 180-200).

Since we always saved the images small in the past, this means we'll have to work on replacing the character images. It'll take some time, and we're looking for your help to do so!

For any series that look like they have good images - meaning, any series from the last few years that's really complete and has good quality shots, or any popular movies like ghibli, or the massive One Piece/Naruto/Bleach franchises, we're hoping that the community can help find bigger replacements.

We're hoping that if people are planning on rewatching any of these, that you'll keep your eye out for the EXACT SAME SHOTS, as that will make moderating them VERY EASY and we can start replacing them quickly. For series that aren't as complete, or that have poor images (like super close up shots, super dark shots, etc), you could look for a better pic instead if you want.

To add a new picture for a character, go to the character's entry page, click 'edit this character' underneath the image, and then add the new image. Submissions are logged in the Character Submissions section and dealt with by moderators.

Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for your support of Anime-Planet!

I'm hoping we will be better at adding characters.

Help Needed: Verify these Character Submissions! - Anime-Planet forum

I don't think there should be 37 pages. I don't know how much time I spent getting pictures, and adding characters to only get it added to this board. It just gets buried to never been seen again. Last time I added all of the major characters to Space Symphony Maetel. None of them were added.

The problem is, we have to personally verify everything that goes through. The other problem is we all have lives outside of AP. I'm barely able to keep up with the series I actively work on at times, personally.

That doesn't mean it'll never happen though. That's all just stuff we couldn't deal with at the moment. Sometimes we sweep through and try to take care of some stuff. But without having seen a series, it's really hard to verify information.

Still. We do what we can. And it'll be easier to verify images on characters who already have images, as it's really something we already have, just upgraded, so to speak.

Yeah - our bar for quality is the bottleneck, and the solution is to get a bigger team of mods onboard who can help. For what it's worth, our coverage of new season series is FANTASTIC, we fill in characters extremely fast and our team covers the majority of all series in a given season, if not all.

Older series are tougher - we fill them in as we can but more mods = easier to confirm :)

So if badass regulars like you, Garyuu, are willing to train/become char mods, that'll solve the problem :D

I'm hoping we will be better at adding characters.

Help Needed: Verify these Character Submissions! - Anime-Planet forum

I don't think there should be 37 pages. I don't know how much time I spent getting pictures, and adding characters to only get it added to this board. It just gets buried to never been seen again. Last time I added all of the major characters to Space Symphony Maetel. None of them were added.

I apologize since i moved most of your submissions to help needed when i was still a mod.

When I was still a mod a major problem with the massive backlog that is in the different sections. The 37 pages you see there is a lot to dig through. Separating out the franchises section to make help needed slightly easier to surf through helped, but, there is an additional back log that has been left behind, because postponing threads seemed like a good idea at some point in time. These threads were moved into Completed with a [Postponed] tag.

There's probably still over 200+ of those postponed submissions to deal with...... lots of work ahead for a team that lost a lot of mods. They've been doing better of late. So have faith :drinking:

lots of work ahead for a team that lost a lot of mods

not sure what this is in reference to - only a very small handful of mods have either stepped down or been removed since the initial group years ago (when there weren't many guidelines and it was more of a first pass situation), and many new mods have been added onboard. the team hasn't significantly shrunk nor has it lost a lot of mods.

not sure what this is in reference to - only a very small handful of mods have either stepped down or been removed since the initial group years ago (when there weren't many guidelines and it was more of a first pass situation), and many new mods have been added onboard. the team hasn't significantly shrunk nor has it lost a lot of mods.

Most of the mods you removed were mostly inactive anyways. Even i wasn't that active around the time i left. I was more referring to the long gap between finding new mods that occurred.

Redneck always had solid submissions when i was a mod. Along with him and a couple of other good submitters you've gotten a good crop of people that could be trained lately. Good luck. Have fun :banana:

Edit: ....hmmm, i don't know why. But the banana isn't dancing in FF20 for whatever reason. I open Chrome and it's fine though. I'll submit a bug report if this persists. I'll clear out my cache tomorrow and re-check.

^ I use FF20 and the banana is dancing like there's no tomorrow for me.

I like the feature, looks like helluva lot of work though. I often watch old shows, could keep an eye for the exact same screens.

it will be indeed - honestly i should have allowed big images since the beginning and just downscaled, lesson learned, we'll be moving over big image functionality for other things too (like people images) and that way no matter how the design changes, we have the right content :)

Nice, I'll try to keep an eye out for larger pics when I watch stuff in the future. I'm assuming that you'd generally want pictures that are similar in shape like what we've been using so far. (Not sure if I'm being clear, but with dimensions more like 400x600 versus 400x200.)

Even though I'm not a mod, I do try to go through that Help Needed section every so often to see if I can contribute anything. Unfortunately I've usually forgotten too much about a series to be too helpful.

On a side note (and you've probably already planned on doing this), will you be updating the Character Submissions guidelines with this information? I usually skim over that as a refresher if I haven't submitted characters in a while, especially the images section.

Nice, I'll try to keep an eye out for larger pics when I watch stuff in the future. I'm assuming that you'd generally want pictures that are similar in shape like what we've been using so far. (Not sure if I'm being clear, but with dimensions more like 400x600 versus 400x200.)

Correct. We encourage pictures to now be taken with the recent function to store bigger images in mind, and that we have a new max width of 400 and a max height of 600. As for this shape you speak of, photos should resemble vertical rectangles and not squares.

Even though I'm not a mod, I do try to go through that Help Needed section every so often to see if I can contribute anything. Unfortunately I've usually forgotten too much about a series to be too helpful.

Any help is appreciated! And to clarify, if anybody is interested in helping us verify submission information, please, PLEASE explain why it's correct or incorrect. Merely saying, "This is correct." or "Looks good yo." can't be taken literally as confirmations.

On a side note (and you've probably already planned on doing this), will you be updating the Character Submissions guidelines with this information?

We're working on this right now. : )

Last edited:
Back